Chocolate Covered Cream Candies
2.6 oz. softened cream cheese
⅛ to 1 tsp. flavored extract (you will use more extract if it is imitation)**
3 cups confectioner’s sugar; divided
1 tsp. light Karo syrup
1 Tbsp. water
Food coloring (optional)**
Chocolate candy coating (such as Wilton’s or candy coating bark)
1. Beat cream cheese and extract until smooth (start with ⅛ tsp. and work your way up).
2. Add 1 cup confectioner’s sugar and mix on low until completely incorporated. Add 1 more cup and mix on low until completely incorporated.
3. Add corn syrup and water; mix well. Add third cup of confectioner’s sugar.
4. Add food coloring if desired. Do not use liquid unless it is meant for candy.
5. After adding the ingredients from #3 and #4; you may find you need more confectioners’ sugar. The texture should not be sticky.
6. Roll into balls and freeze for 10 minutes on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. After this you may press the ball lightly into a mold to get a shape or keep them in balls. If you use a mold; freeze again for at least another 10-15 minutes, but no longer than 1 hour.
7. Make chocolate according to package directions (adding shortening will thin the chocolate).
8. Stirring constantly will help temper (bring the chocolate to room temperature) and then you are ready to dip candies into chocolate and lay on waxed paper lined cookie sheet to dry.
INNER CHEF’S NOTES:
1. It is best to use ¼ tsp. increments for the flavoring; you can always add more but you can never take it away. Pure extract is stronger than imitation; so you will not use as much. Do not use flavor oils.
2. For the food coloring; do not use liquid. Use powder or coloring made for candies.