IN BRIEF: JHPDA Committees are recruiting -
The JHPDA needs you! The JHPDA is a volunteer organization run by postdocs, for postdocs. Right now, all committees are actively recruiting. In addition to providing service to the postdoc community, involvement provides leadership skills for your CV!
Please join us for our Monthly meeting on Wed., Oct 5, 5:30 p.m. in Preclinical Training Building (PCTB) 113 to meet committee chairs and learn how you can be a part of JHPDA programming.
JHPDA Media & Communications Committee
- Disseminates information to the postdoctoral community (e.g., weekly bulletins, posters)
- Maintains the JHPDA website & social media pages
- Organizes events focused on scientific communication
- Contributes to judging abstracts for poster and podium presentations at JHPDA Annual retreat
JHPDA Policy & Advocacy Committee:
- Educates, advises, and advocates on behalf of postdoctoral fellows
- Gives voice to the issues that affect the postdoctoral community
- Organizes events such as new postdoc orientations and going to Capitol Hill to speak out for science
- Meeting place for recent and seasoned international postdocs at Johns Hopkins to share experiences, network, and create future collaborations
- Hosts a number of international-themed events like lunches, movie nights, and co-hosts international festivals
- Organizes informational events for international audience, like Visa and employment seminar
- Brings the postdoctoral community together
- Organizes on campus and off campus networking events
- Works in association with internationals committee to organize international festivals on campus
Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee
- Provides a formal support system to individuals from groups historically underrepresented in science.
- Encourages and supports diversity in the sciences and among postdoctoral fellows at JHU.
- Articulates and promotes the unique challenges, needs and goals of underrepresented postdoctoral fellows and effect change (where needed) in the postdoctoral community.
- Provides mentoring, and networking by implementation of an internal mentoring network of underrepresented faculty, postdocs and grad students
Professional Development Committee
- Prepares postdoctoral fellows to excel in academic careers as well as develop transferable skills and identify diverse career opportunities
- Works closely with the PDCO and other organizations on campus like HBN, JHGCC, BCI.
- Reached out to industry mentors for organizing invited talks and workshops on campus
School of Public Health Committee
- Disseminates relevant information to SPH postdocs
- Working toward establishing policies and advocates on behalf of SPH postdocs
- Arranges social and professional development events for SPH postdocs
- Provides orientation materials to new international SPH postdocs
- Provides support for underrepresented groups in the SPH postdoc community
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Apple picking with JHPDA! Sun., Oct. 16th
JHPDA Research Presentation Club Sign Up: Fall dates!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates: Oct 12th, Nov. 16th, Dec. 14th, Jan 18th
Questions? Contact Anup Sharma or Madhuparna Roy
Vigil on Johns Hopkins' East Baltimore campus
Initiating change takes action! Please join the Diversity Postdoc Alliance Committee (DPAC) for a short moment of silence and reflection in response specifically to the recent killings of Terrence Crutcher and Keith Scott,and also to reflect again more widely on continued state violence targeting Black individuals and communities. The event will be held on Tuesday 10/4 at 1pm in the 2nd floor atrium of the Armstrong Medical Education Building, all grad students and postdocs.are invited.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Writing K Applications: Know the Basics and Secret Handshakes- Office of Women in Science and Medicine invites women faculty and female post- doctoral fellows to discuss how to write a fundable NIH Career Development Award ("K Award"), Oct 6th (details) (posted 9/12)
- Apply for a Bio-Trac® Training Programs at MedImmune (details) (posted 10/3)
- Access JHU Membership Benefits to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) (More Details, Webinar Calendar)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Biostatistics course; application deadline Nov 1st (details)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Become an affiliate member of the National Postdoctoral Association for FREE (details) (posted (9/26)
- Volunteer as an after school mentor in Baltimore Elementary schools (details) (posted 9/26)
- HHMI launches funding program for early career scientists from underrepresented groups. (details) (posted 9/26)
- MIT Science Advocacy group runs science funding email campaign (details) (posted 9/26)
- Register to join AWIS Live, to learn more about the work of AWIS and its community & how you can get involved (details) (posted 9/19)
- Scientist Mentoring and Diversity Program for Medical Technology (SMDP MedTech) is looking for recent graduates for medical technology program. (details) (posted 9/12)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoc position available in transplant immunology and immunoregulation at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (details). (posted 08/20)
- Postdoc in the Neural Interface Laboratory within the Office of Science and
Engineering Labs at FDA (details) posted 9/06
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
Visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.