- 350g of eggplants
- 350g of zucchini
- 350g of red and green paprikas
- 350g of onions
- 500g of ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 olive's oil big spoon
- 1 thym wisp
- 1 laurel leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the vegetables in a dish.
- Tomatoes have to be peeled in quarters, eggplants and zucchini in round slices, paprika in lamella and onions.
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Melt paprika and onions.
- Add tomatoes, chopped garlic, thyme and laurel when onions are melt.
- Put salt and pepper, let simmer while 45 minutes under a lid.
- While this time, cook the zucchini and eggplants in another pan for 15 minutes in olive oil.
- Check the vegetables cook, we don't want hard vegetables.
- Add the eggplants and the zucchini in the tomatoes pan.
- 533g condensed milk.
- Around 200g of grated coconut.
- A small spoon of butter.
- Granulated chocolate for decoration (optional.)
- Melt the butter in a pot, it does not need to be very big.
- Add the condensed milk and the coconut. You can put half of the coconut and then add more as required. The only difficult thing about this recipe is find the point of the sweet. You must be able to take it off the pot very easily, it cannot be glued. You can try with a spoon, if there is no more sweet in the spoon, it is probably ready.
- The time of cooking depends on the quality of the ingredients and also the fire.
- UWAGA: The most important thing about making Branquinhos is that you NEVER can stop mixing it. An unguarded moment and everything will be burned.
BULGARIAN SALAD (BULGARIA)
- 2 fresh tomatoes,
- 1 cucumber,
- 1 pepper,
- Half an onion,
- Feta cheese,
- Sunflower or olive oil and black olives.
- Grill the pepper, peel it and cut it to small pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes to big pieces. Peal and cut the cucumber to smaller pieces.
- Peel and cut the onions into moonlike pieces.
- Put everything in a suitable plate.
- Add some oil.
- Grind about 100g of the Feta cheese and spread it on the vegetables.
- Place some black olives on top.
CHOCOLATE SNAILS (HUNGARY)
- 500g of flour
- 3 dl of milk
- 200 g of sugar
- 50 g of yeast
- 250 g of margarine
- 2 eggs
- 100g of cocoa
- Prepare yeast: put the yeast (30-50g) into 1dl of warm milk with 1 spoon of flour and ½ spoon of sugar. Let it grow in a warm place.
- Make a rectangle shape pasta from: 200 g margarine + 100 g flour and put into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Make an other pasta from: 400 g flour + little salt + 50 g sugar powder + 2 dl milk + 50 g margarine + 2 yolks (the yellow part of the egg) + the prepared yeast.
- Let it grow for 40-50 minutes.
- Unification: Stretch the second pasta. Put the rectangle shaped pasta on it. Wrap. Stretch again and do the same 2 times.
- Almost the end: Then stretch into ½ cm. Grease with melted margarine or oil. Put cocoa (100g) mixed with sugar (150g).
- Finish: Roll it. Cut into slices. Put the slices on the pan grease with melted margarine and bake in the oven.
Enjoy your hard work and share with your friends! :)
(Filled gingerbread from Ružomberok, SLOVAKIA.)
Especially for Christmas time
In the process
Ingredients for the pasta:
- 600g of flour (type 450)
- 3 eggs
- 150g margarine
- 250g sugar powder
- 4 spoons of honey with a little water
- 1 small spoon of baking soda
- spices for gingerbread (from the shop, or cinnamon, cloves …)
- sugar with vanillin
- Mix all the ingredients and put to the fridge for 3 hours.
- After takeout, divide into 3 parts (for 3 rolls).
- Stretch each part to ½ cm.
- Grease the stretched dough with plum jam (the best is very thick home-made jam, but plum jam or even strawberry jam from Biedronka is also good)
- Put on it lot of goodies, for example: different kinds of nuts cut into small pieces, raisins, small pieces of dried fruits, coconut, candied lemon or orange
- Roll it. Do the same with each part. Grease the top with scrambled egg.
- Put into the oven and bake it slowly - on 180 degrees for cca 30 minutes.
MIXED FRUITS SALAD (PORTUGAL)
- Lemon juice
Note: You can use another type of fruits!
- You just need to cut the fruits
- Add lemon juice to
- Prevent the oxidation of fruits.
Note: Try to make your salad as close as possible to the meal because you lost a lot of different vitamins with air, light and you can prevent the oxidation.
TÚRÓS POGÁCSA (HUNGARY)
(salty aperitif pasta, good with beer)
- ½ kg cottage cheese
- ½ kg flour
- ½ kg margarin
- lot of salt (cca 2 small spoons)
- grated cheese if you want
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Stretch the pasta into cca 1 cm, cut from it circles for example with a glass.
- Grease the top with eggs.
- You can put also cheese, sesame, cumin or other spices on the top.
- Bake in the oven.
You can make from this pasta long pieces (cca 2 cm x 15 cm) and turn over of a sausage (parówka). Put in the oven and cook.
MELÓN CON JAMÓN (SPAIN)
- 1 melon
- 1 pack of Serrano ham or not cooked ham
- 1 pack of toothpick
- Cut the melon in cubes.
- Cut the ham in small pieces.
- Put one piece of melon on one toothpick.
- Add on the same toothpick a piece of ham.
- 2 potatoes
- ½ kg flour
- ½ spoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 100 ml of water
- 50 g of yeast
- 1½ dl of milk
1. Cook two potatoes with the skin in water (100g)
2. Prepare yeast: put the yeast (50g) into 1,5 dl of warm milk with 1 spoon of flour and ½ spoon of sugar. Let it grow in a warm place.
3. Mix: ½ kg flour + 1 little spoon of salt + smashed potatoes + yeast + warm water. You need to have a soft pasta.
4. Let it grow more in a warm place.
5. Form small loaves from it. (cca 7 pieces). Leave them rest for few minutes.
6. Then make flat circles from it and put in a big amount of hot oil. Bake both sides until is gold.
7. In Hungary the most traditional is to eat it with garlic and sour cream. But you can put also grated cheese, ketchup or whatever you want.
- 600g flour (type 450)
- 320g sugar powder
- 6 spoons honey
- 200g margarine
- 5 eggs
- 2 little spoons water
- 2 spoons of spices for gingerbread
- Mix the ingredients for the pasta (can be made in advance and left in a plastic bag in the fridge)
- Stretch the pasta for ½ cm.
- Cut different shapes.
- Bake it in the oven (it is quite fast).
For decoration you can make this white material:
- Mix with mixer for 6-8 minutes:
- 1 albumen (the white part of the egg)
- 150g of sugar powder (Filter it! To don’t have any big parts in it!)
- Few drops of lemon (Filter it! To don’t have any big parts in it!)
- Mix to it slowly 1 little spoon of potato starch (szkrobia ziemniaczana)
Then you can put into plastic bags, cut a very-very little hole in the corner, and decorate.
(Use strong plastic bags!)
TORTILLA DE PATATA (SPAIN)
- 300 ml of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 600g of potatoes peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium flame, add the onion and cook gently for 20 minutes until soft and brown.
- Rinse the potato slices under cold water and pat dry.
- Add the potatoes to the pan – if it seems overcrowded, you can cook them in a couple of batches. Cook until the vegetables are tender and on the point of falling apart, then drain well.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the beaten eggs and leave to stand for 5 minutes, or longer if you prefer a stronger onion flavour.
- Put a smaller pan (about 22cm) over a medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Turn to coat, and then, when hot, add the mixture – it should almost fill the pan. Cook until it comes away from the edge of the pan, and looks about two thirds set.
- Place a plate, or a saucepan lid, over the pan, and invert it so the tortilla flips into the plate. Slide it back in, tipping any liquid egg in with it. Cook until it is springy to the touch: be careful not to overcook it: it should still be moist in the middle, even if you prefer it cooked right through.
Note : If you don’t like onion, you can cook the omelette without onion.
COTTAGE CHEESE BALLS (HUNGARY)
- ½ kg cottage cheese
- 2-3 eggs
- 50g butter
- 60g semolina (kasza manna)
- 30g flour
- Little salt
- Mix the butter with the yolk.
- Mix to it the cottage cheese, the semolina, the flour and the foam from the albumen.
- Let it rest in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Make small balls from the pasta and cook in boiling water – until they come to the surface.
- The cooked balls put into fried breadcrumbs. (Fry them in a pan with lot of oil.)
PASTA BUTTERFLY / PASTA PENNE (ITALY)
- 500g of pasta
- 2 mozzarella
- 2 tomatoes
- Rucola / Basilico
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- 1 zucchini
Note: The sauce can be with meat.
- Cook pasta (first put water in a pot and then put little of salt before it boiling, then put pasta inside boiling water and wait 8-10 min or what you need for your pasta).
Sauce 1 :
- Cut in small pieces mozzarella, clean and then cut small tomato in two or three pieces.
- Add rucola or basilico.
Sauce 2 :
- Fry onion and garlic.
- Cut in small pieces zucchini, pepper and tomatoes.
- Add to onion and garlic.
- When everything is ready, you can add to pasta.
- 375 g of flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 spoons of oil
- 2 spot of salt
- 50 cl of milk
- Shake the flour with the eggs, the oil and the salt.
- Add the milk.
- Shake everything. 2 minutes with a mixer !
- Take a pan, put oil on the surface and put a big fire to make it warm.
- When it’s warm, put a slow fire and the pasta in the pan, uniform and not too big.
- Check every time. When it’s start to swipe, you need to turn the crepe.
- 2 minutes more and it’s finish.
Note : Can be salty are sweety,
salty (ham, cheese, mushrooms, sun vegetables), sweety (nutella, chocolate, chantilly, jam, sugar)
PAN CON TOMATE (SPAIN)
- 3 Large ripe Tomatoes (or about 6 small-medium sized)
- 1 Multigrain Baguette (you can use regular Baguette for this recipe).
- 1 spoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or as needed
- Salt to taste
- Position the broiler pan several inches away from the heating element and heat the broiler. Slice the Baguette. You can halve it crosswise and then lengthwise. I would insist on just slicing it into fairly thick slices and be done with it.
- Brush the top with some oil and broil it until golden (or as crusty you like it).
- Meanwhile, take a box grater and place it on a plate. Grate the tomatoes on the large hole side of the box grater. This is why you would require your tomatoes to be ripe yet firm to make it easier to grate. Discard the skin.
- Sieve this pulp to remove excess liquid.
- Remove the bread from the broiler. OPTIONAL: while it’s still warm, rub the garlic halves on the bread. (The aroma at this point is immensely appetizing!)
- Spoon the tomato pulp on top of the bread and season with salt, to taste.
LAYERED POTATOES - RAKOTT KRUMPLI (HUNGARY)
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 10 dkg sausages
- 5 dl sour cream
- little margarine
- cheese if you want
- Boil the potatoes and the eggs.
- Cut them and also the sausages into slices.
- Grease the baking pan with margarine
- Put the potatoes, eggs and sausages to the pan in layers. Between the layers put salt and sour cream.
- On the top you can put grated cheese.
- Put into the oven and cook.
- Serve with fresh salad or pickles.
FRIED CALZONE (ITALY)
Ingredients for 5 people
450 gr of water
2 spoons of salt full to the brim
yeast 1 packet
Add two spoons of salt to the water and mix good adding the yeast pushed down
Add slowly the flour in the water and salt and mix, before with a spoon, then when it becomes solid, by hand
let the dough rest covered by a wool cloth for 4 - 5 hours, if it has not grown, turn on the owen at 50 degrees, turn off and put the dough for fifteen minutes
Encircle the dough beetween the thumb and the index to cut
Spread out the dough by hand
Fill the dough with ricotta, hum and mozzarella
Fill half a pot with oil and put in the oil a little piece of dough to check when the oil is ready ( when the dough will become blond it-s ready)
put the calzone in the oil and cover with a spoon with oil while it’s frying, then turn it also.
PASTA AND POTATOES (ITALY)
Ingredients for one person
¼ of onion
50 gr of bakon
peeled tometoes ( or little tomatoes)
Clean well, peel the potatoes and clean them again
Cut the potatoes like chunks and sink them in the water (not too much because this pasta has not to be drained so you should considerate that) in a pot that’s not yet on the fire
Cut the bakon and put in the pot
Add two spoons of oil
Put on slow fire to make it brown
Put the onion ( dryed to make not them splash)
When it start to fry put potatoes with water ( having add before some tomatoes)
Wait that the water boils and make it cook for 20 minutes
Put the exact amount of salt ( remember always this pasta has not to be drained)
Put the pasta make it cook
CAKE “LAZY” (LITHUANIA)
400g cottage cheese (it should be creamy)
If you want - berries/nuts/raisins
1 spoon of love
~ melt the butter in the microwave or over simmering water and mix it with sugar
~add curd and mix again
~crush biscuits into small pieces and mix everything
~put everything in a dish and press or put something heavy on it OR put everything in a small plastic bag and make a unique cake shape
~leave in the fridge for the night