12U Year Old Girls Rules 2017
All MHSAA rules apply unless specified below
Time Limit: No new inning after 1 hour and 45 minutes. There is no time limit for semi- final and championship games.
1. Bases will be 60’ and pitching distance will be 40’. There will be a pitching circle measuring 16’ in diameter. A 12” ball will be used.
2. Regulation game will consist of six (6) innings unless
EIGHT RUN RULE: A game will end when a team is ahead by eight or more runs any time after 5 innings or 4 1⁄2 innings if the home team is ahead.
TEN RUN RULE: A game will end when a team is ahead by ten or more runs any time after 4 innings or 3 1/2 if the home team is ahead.
MERCY RULE: At any time after the end of three innings a team is ahead by 15 or more runs, the game is considered a complete game
All games will play six innings with the following exceptions:
If a game is called due to weather conditions: It is an official game if: Four innings have been completed; 3 1⁄2 if the home team is ahead. If the previous two conditions are not met, the game will resume at the point it was suspended as soon as possible. If the fields cannot be playable within a reasonable amount of time, the game will resume the next day, or be rescheduled by the Tournament Directors.
3. SUBSTITUTIONS: Any player removed from the game may return at anytime. However, the starting player may renter the game only once and must bat in her original spot in the batting order. High School fast pitch rules in effect. A starting pitcher who is removed from the pitching position may return to the pitching position only once. A defensive player may only return once to the game.
4. A maximum of nine (9) players may be used for fielding purposes. 3 of which must be in the outfield and 6 in the infield. If not playing on a regulation size softball field, an arc measuring 20’ from the back corner of all bases (except home plate) will must be drawn. All outfielders must be behind this arc at the time of the pitch, and can move forward after the release of the ball.
5. Each team may bat the entire roster, this is up to the manager, the decision needs to be declared prior to the start of the game, if you choose not to bat everyone, then the team will only bat 9 players and the rest of the players on the roster will be treated as substitute players. Please remember you have to finish with how you start the game.
6. Teams may start a game with a minimum of 8 players. If a player arrives late for the game she must be entered last in the batting order. If a player leaves, or is injured during the game and is unable to bat her position in the batting order she will be skipped.
8. Each team will receive one warning per game for throwing a bat. The second violation of any team member throwing the bat shall be called out. (This is a dead ball situation)
9. A batter will be considered out on any combination of three swings or called strikes. Any batter receiving four called balls will be issued a walk.
10. If a fielder has the ball and is in position to make a play on a runner, the runner must avoid an intentional collision. If the runner, in the opinion of the umpire, intentionally or maliciously collides with the fielder, she will be called out.
11 In order to prevent delays, a courtesy runner for the catcher and pitcher is allowed at any time. The courtesy runner would be deemed the last out. If no outs have occurred, the last run scored would be the runner.
12. Once a pitcher has hit 5 batters in a game, she must be removed and cannot return as pitcher in any time of the game. Batter must make an honest attempt to get out of the way.
13. At the beginning of each half inning, or when a pitcher relieves another pitcher, not more than one (1) minute may be used to deliver not more than five (5) pitches to the catcher or another teammate.
14. Dropped third strike will be played.
15. No fake tags; runner will be awarded next base.
16. No jewelry is to be worn during games. Starter earrings must be taped.
17. All batters will be required to wear a protective face mask on their helmet. Pitchers should also wear a protective mask when they pitch.
18. All uniforms must be worn. No sandals or metal cleats.
19. All equipment and teammates must remain inside the dugout, with the exception of the on deck batter. Batter and on deck batter must have helmets on until they reach the dugout.
20. Managers only may question only an umpire’s book rule interpretation--- NOT JUDGMENT CALLS. The manager must question the call before the next pitch.
21. No harassment by coaches, spectators, or players will be permitted. Managers are responsible for conduct of coaches, spectators, and players. Unruly spectators may be asked to leave or cause forfeiture of the game.
22. Infield fly rule will be played.
23. Only ASA certified girls softball bats are legal for use.
24. Home team and dugout is determined by coin flip
25. In championship game, winners bracket is the home team
26. Runners are allowed to steal all bases. The runner cannot leave the base until the ball is released from the pitchers hand. Delayed steals are not allowed. If a runner leaves before the pitch is thrown the ball will be called dead immediately, and is ruled a no pitch—runners may not advance, and must return to the base occupied before the pitch. The runner that left early will be called “out”. This rule also applies for runners that leave any other base early. *First offense for leaving early will be a team warning
* Only coaches and scorekeepers are allowed in the dugout during the game.
Coaches must attempt to maintain an orderly and safe dugout environment at all times.
**Please make sure dugout is cleaned up after each game. Also, encourage your fans to pick up after themselves at all times.