Global Day Of Prayer For The Care Of Creation 2016
Every year on September 1st the Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, and Protestants of all stripes come together in unity to pray for God’s good creation.
A Bit of History
The vision for this day started in 1989 when the late Patriarch Demetrios II installed September 1st as a Day of Prayer for Creation for the Orthodox Church. Then in response to Pope Francis’ 2015 encyclical on creation care, Patriarch Bartholomäus invited the Catholic Church to be united in prayer for creation with the Orthodox Church on September 1st. This led to Pope Francis’ announcing the annual Global Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation for the Roman Catholic Church, and invited other Christians to adopt this day too. Therefore, we, the Lausanne/WEA Creation Care Network, pray in the company of many faithful Christians and invite you to do the same.
Join Us In Prayer
We encourage you to personally pray for the care of creation on September 1st. Organize a prayer meeting focused on creation care at your church, in your small group, or just among a few friends. If you are not able to lead a group or join a group, share specific creation care needs and concerns with your Christian friends on social media and invite them to pray for those issues with you.
Be creative and have fun! Go outside for a prayer walk at a local park, beach, riverbank, community garden, or in your own backyard. If it is evening, step outside and look up at the stars as you pray, or pray around a campfire. Perhaps enjoy a wonderful meal and gratefully enjoy the fruits of creation.
Pray for your local creation care needs and concerns, and the churches, leaders, and organizations you personally know who are working to care for creation. Below is a list of praises and concerns we are aware of that you may want to pray for:
- Prayers of gratitude for God’s gift of creation. Try praying through Psalm 104!
- Prayers for unity amongst denominations, churches, Christians, and creation care ministries so as we come together as Christ’s Body we can lovingly and effectively care for creation and be witnesses for Christ.
- Prayer for the Lausanne/WEA Creation Care Network’s 2016 regional Creation Care and the Gospel conferences in South Asia (Nepal, Sept. 12-16) and Europe (Spain, Nov. 7-10).
- In South America, strength and wisdom for those seeking solutions to the human and environmental health consequences of illegal gold mining
- In the Democratic Republic of Congo, for shalom as violence threatens the lives of our brothers and sisters in the city of Beni
- For continued success and opportunities with Creation Care Singapore and Christians in Conservation-Philippines, two organizations at work in Southeast Asia.
- Release of financial resources to help support the summit.
- That the global community will agree to a document on the future of urban development that reflects God’s values and concerns for people and creation, especially the needs of the poor, and urbanism that is ecologically sustainable.
- Pray for the Christian witness and work of those attending Habitat III and staying at the basecamp.
- Pray for collective action on climate change--that we, the body of Christ, would lead the way in mitigating the causes of greenhouse gas emissions and in helping God’s creation adapt to climate change consequences.
- Pray for people affected by climate disasters—floods in Louisiana, drought in Zambia, deforestation in Kenya, wildfires in California, cyclones in the Pacific, to name a few.
- Pray for the flourishing of the tiny microbes and fungi in the soils that keep forests alive, for the myriad types of amazing animals and plants found on the earth, in the sky, and in the waters; pray for the people and organizations working to protect this incredible display of God’s love.
- Pray that businesses will adopt a new paradigm that prioritizes ecological sustainability and economic justice as integral aspects of their business model.
Beyond these specific requests, we would also remind you that the Jamaica Call to Action is an excellent on-going guide to prayer and action for God’s creation.
Thank you for joining us in praying for God’s restoration of all creation!
Get in Touch
Email the Lausanne/WEA Creation Care Network at email@example.com
Stay informed of happenings by subscribing to our monthly newsletter.
Find us on the web at lwccn.org