#156 - Into the Nexus: “Get Probed”
• Garrett • Kyle • Jeff
Our Patrons support Into the Nexus at Patreon.com/ITN. If you enjoy the show consider supporting it with 25 cents, a dollar, or however you would like! We thank all our Patrons for their support!
Intro: Welcome to Into the Nexus! The Heroes of the Storm podcast!
Reminder, you can go to ITNcast.reddit.com to submit stories or upvote submissions for the next episode.
Awesome games. grats to dunktrain and Dignitas..... but none of that matters now? See a sweet strat? NO YOU DIDN’T! IT DOESN’T EXIST!
- Bye week. Eastern Clash March 17-19th.
- Followed by 3 bye weeks.
Everything we discuss today is likely to roll out on March 14th, same day as the season restart.
Probius First Reactions
- Is there strategy or just spamming? You can’t target your photon cannons.
- Is the pylon mana system interesting enough?
Mount - Worker Rush (Z)
- Activate to gain an additional 60% Movement Speed for 5 seconds. Taking damage ends this effect early.
- Passive: Probius moves 10% faster by hovering over the ground.
Trait - Warp In Pylon (D)
- Warp in a Pylon that generates a Power Field and grants vision of the surrounding area. Probius regenerates Mana rapidly while inside the Power Field.
- Up to 2 Pylons can exist at once.
- I kept throwing these things in bushes like Creep Tumors. Don’t need to. That sight radius is great.
Disruption Pulse (Q)
- Fire a burst of energy forward, dealing damage to all enemies it passes through.
- Firing through the center of a Warp Rift will cause it to explode, dealing additional damage to enemies in an area.
Warp Rift (W)
- Open an unstable Warp Rift at the target location that takes 1.25 seconds to arm and then slows enemies within its area of effect by 20%. Lasts 9 seconds.
- Armed Warp Rifts explode when hit by a Disruption Pulse, dealing damage to nearby enemies.
Photon Cannon (E)
- Warp in a Photon Cannon that attacks enemies within its radius once per second. Lasts 11 seconds.
- Must be placed within a Pylon’s Power Field. Existing Photon Cannons will deactivate if they are no longer powered by a Pylon.
Pylon Overcharge (R)
- For the next 10 seconds, Pylon Power Fields increase in size and Pylons will attack enemies within them.
- Passive: Pylons gain a permanent Shields equal to 50% of their maximum Health.
Null Gate (R)
- Project a barrier of negative energy in the target direction that lasts 4 seconds. Enemies who touch the barrier take damage and are slowed by 80% for as long as they remain in contact with it.
Warrior and Armor
- Pros don’t like change.
- More of the game is decided in the draft.
- Means player skill is less valuable.
- Heroes is already extremely draft important because of shared xp
- Playing your ballin’ mane doesn't work every game like other mobas.
- Hard Counters are unhealthy and unfun.
- In other mobas, you buy items to create counters. Any hero can evolve into a counter. Here it is decided in the draft.
- What is the alternative. Too much customization through talents creates a similar issue.
- Drafting errors will be brutally punished. Perhaps unfun for viewing.
- It’s hard for new, casual and low league HL players.
- ETC, Muradin and Diablo are now universal tanks?
- Stitches still has Dampen Magic.
- Dehaka, Zarya, Artanis and Sonya are more universal too.
- Our hero pool is still too small for such intense diversification.
- Armor is complicated. Heroes is suppose to defy convention.
- Blizzard has an easier time defining future tanks roles.
- Armor is a “soft counter” - You are better in certain situations, not worse in others.
- Dota 2 has hard counters and they have fantastic draft diversity.
- (Particularly do to number of heroes and number of bans in the draft)
- ETC 61.9% pick rate
- Highest Dota 2 pick rate 39%
- Good tanks were already drafting like this
- You should be rewarded for your draft pick
- Games loose in the draft all the time.
- More comp diversity in terms of front line (esports)
- Drafts are more interesting.
- First pick Arthas? Ban wizards. Draft Wizards so you don’t have to face them.
- Talent builds can be situational, required tanking talents are less important.
- Engagement decisions are easier.
Developer Comment: We’re currently doing a pass on our Warriors, and want to better separate those that are intended to be able to solo-tank for their team, and those who are better identified as bruisers. With Armor coming into the game, we also saw an opportunity to make our Warriors have unique roles for their team so that the strongest or most survivable few weren’t identified and always favored regardless of the enemy team composition. In this patch, we’ve taken a pass at both Arthas and Anub’arak to better embrace their roles as solo-Warriors for their team. They have both received significant changes, largely with the theme of adding control and/or survivability to their kits at the cost of damage. While we know that players enjoy putting out that DPS, we think this is a healthier direction for the game, and should make the decision of which Warrior to bring to a team more meaningful. We’re also hoping that this direction helps push against the trend of it being the correct choice to bring multiple Warriors to a team because some can bring both CC and survivability while also doing as much damage as our Assassins.
- +25 Physical Armor
- Health reduced from 2451 to 2179
- Health Regen reduced from 5.11 to 4.54
- Physical Armor reduced from 75 to 50
- Amplified Healing (Passive)
- +15 Spell Armor
- Base Maximum Health reduced from 2468 to 2296
- Health Regen reduced from 5.14 to 4.78
- Amplified Healing (Passive)
- Heal amount increased from 52 to 60
- New Talent: Nullification Shield (Active)
- Activate to gain 60 Spell Armor for 5 seconds.
- Health gain reduced from +60% to +40%
- Now also grants 15 Armor
- Banner of Ironforge (Active)
- Armor granted reduced from 25 to 20
- Spell Armor reduced from 25 to 20
- New 1 Talent: Nerubian Armor (Passive)
- Every 8 seconds, gain 30 Spell Armor against the next Ability and subsequent Abilities cast against you for 1.5 seconds.
- New 13 Talent: Acid Drenched Mandibles (Passive)
- Attacking a Hero that is slowed, rooted, or stunned increases your Basic Attack damage by 70% for 3 seconds.
- New 16 Talent: Debilitation (E)
- Enemy Heroes hit by Burrow Charge have their Spell Power reduced by 50% for 4 seconds.
Developer Comment: Anub’arak has received some baseline changes and talent tweaks to embrace his role as an anti-caster Warrior. New additions to his kit include a lower cooldown and slowing Burrow Charge, a buff to his Harden Carapace shield amount, and some buffs to his Beetle build. Understandably some players may be wondering why we lowered his Spell Armor when we want him to be an anti-caster, but we felt that 25 base Spell Armor was a little too pointed in countering casters as they have no real options to deal with it when it is on a hero baseline. By giving him these changes, we’re hoping to make him a more well-rounded Warrior while still filling a niche that previously did not exist in our game.
- First time I’m really digging the talent system. Take 3 talents, make them a single quest. Cool.
- Still feel like they encourage too random of play in the early game.
- Health increased from 2404 to 2524
- Eternal Hunger (Trait)
- Quest: Using Frostmourne Hungers on an enemy Hero permanently increases the Mana it restores by 4, up to 40
- Quest: Using Frostmourne Hungers on an enemy Hero permanently increases its damage bonus by 4
- Quest: Root 5 heroes to reduce the cooldown of Howling Blast by 2 seconds.
- Quest: After rooting 10 heroes, increase Howling Blast's range by 30%.
- Quest: After rooting 20 heroes, Howling Blast roots enemies on its path.
- New 4 Talent: Icy Talons (E)
- Increase Arthas’ attack speed by 3% each time an enemy Hero is hit by Frozen Tempest for 1.5 seconds, stacking up to 60%.
- New Talent 13 : Shattered Armor (W)
- Enemy heroes rooted by Howling Blast have their Armor reduced by 15 for 4 seconds.
- Anti-Magic Shell (Active)
- New functionality:
- No longer provides 100 Spell Armor. Arthas now takes 0 damage from Spells instead and heals for 25% of the damage prevented.
Developer Comment: For a long time Arthas has walked the line between being a Bruiser and a tank, though it was always intended that he be more of a tank as opposed to a bruiser. With Armor in the game, we saw the opportunity to really embrace him being that slow approach of Death that he encapsulated so well in Wrath of the Lich King. Arthas’s crowd control capability and survivability have been significantly increased, and now he should really shine as the Warrior to bring if the enemy team has multiple Melee heroes or those who strongly rely on their auto-attacks. In return for his extra control in teamfights, his damage has been reduced. While he will not put out damage as quickly as before, his ability to kill enemies will now rely much more on how long he can keep them in his Frozen Tempest, as once they’re in it will be very difficult for them to escape without using some kind of mobility.
Am I living under a rock? When has anyone EVER used this term?
- Will now clamp the cast to the maximum range of the Ability
- Will now clamp the cast to the maximum range of the Ability
- New Ability: Focus Turrets! (1)
- Activate Focus Turrets! to order nearby Turrets to focus a specific enemy. 1 second cooldown.
- Vision range increased by 1
- Damage decreased from 68 to 62
- Can now be channeled indefinitely.
- Can now be cancelled with a full refund by right-clicking.
- Increase cast range from 6.5 to 10
- Removed functionality:
- No longer grants Focus Turrets!
- No longer grants PvE bonus damage
- New functionality:
- Now grants 100% Basic Attack damage.
- Activate to gain 30 Armor and 30 Movement Speed for 4 seconds. 60 second cooldown.
- Maximum Base Health reduced from 3528 to 2950
- New Trait: Ogre Hide (D)
- While active Cho gains 25 Armor.
- 5 Second cooldown.
- Effect is removed if Gall activates Ogre Rage.
- While active Gall deals 25% more damage.
- 5 Second cooldown.
- Effect is removed if Cho activates Ogre Hide.
Developer Comment: When we were first told about the new event “Two Heads are Better Than One”, we immediately set to work on giving Cho’gall’s talent trees a much needed face-lift. A lot of our Warriors were getting Armor updates in this patch and originally Cho’gall was no exception. After playing with a generic form of it internally, we realized we had a once-in-a-Nexus opportunity to do something very different and seized the moment. The foundation of the Cho’gall rework revolves around their new Traits, Ogre Hide and Ogre Rage, which are the keys to success with the Hero. The potential of Cho’gall should be greater than ever, but you will have to make sure both heads are working together in order to maximize your damage output while keeping yourself alive long enough to keep doing it.
Other Hero Changes - Can Skip for Time
- Cooldown increased from 70 to 80 seconds
- Cooldown now also counts down while the Ultralisk is alive
- Health increased from 639 to 766
- Damage increased from 27 to 31
- Casting Demonic Invasion will now remove/clear minions lingering from the previous cast
- Killing a Hero with Globe of Annihilation will now increase its damage by 10
- The party frame UI from the observer interface (AKA: the top bar on all the esports you’re watching) is being added to the game.
- Health bars, Heroic Timers, and Hearthstone channels are shown for your own team
- Heroic picks and death timers are shown for your enemies.
- New indicator next to each XP bar that will blink as teams approach their next talent tier.
- If either team gains a talent tier over the other, their team level will be engulfed in flames to better signify that they have a talent advantage.
- Killstreak flames are back. But instead of being over your hero and mucking up the visuals, your portrait will start to glow with flames in your personal (bottom-left) portrait and to the new party frames (at the top of the screen).
- Kill Feed
- When a kill occurs, we will now see the kills pop up on the left side of the screen. It will show the portrait of who got the kill and the portrait(s) of who got killed.
- Gives a greater idea of who is dangerous on the enemy team.
2017 Season 1 Rolling Out
March 14th - June 13th
- Solo queue has been a huge success. We’ve seen a lot of positive feedback from players and match quality has been greatly improved.
- The population of team league has risen dramatically and there are more Team League games being played than ever before.
- However, the disparity between the number of people queueing as duos and the number queueing as trios sometimes leads to long queue times, which can in turn lead to lower match quality.
So, in short, we’re going to leave things as they are for now and continue working toward addressing the duo queue versus trio problem in Team League, which is the root of the majority of Team League match quality problems. We’ll keep you updated with updates as we have them. Good luck on the ladder!
Reward system the same. Any Team League placement for vanilla mount.Master for Epic Mount. Mount currently unknown.
Patreon Mention: Patreon.com/ITN
Thanks to our Patreon producers Declan H, CheezyBob, and Philip P.
- Axel Berg-Larsen
- Greg Paula
- Jake Martinez
- Spencer Braswell
- David Sheldon
- Joe Baranowski
I was watching the Western Clash this weekend and the announcers were talking about the importance of LAN play and how this might be why some smaller regions might have an issue. they also talked about how team Dignitas is known to be good on LAN play vs. 'Normal' Play. Can you explain this? Is it something to do with the response times and does that make it easier or harder to land skill shots? Do you guys have experience with this?
Patreon Shout Out
ITN is supported by our badass Patrons. You can become a ITN Patron by going to Patreon.com/itn.
Into the Nexus is produced by Amove.tv and our Patreon producers Declan H & CheezyBob! ITN coffee mugs and glasses are over at bit.ly/amovestore.
Catch the live show Thursday nights at 8pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/Amovetv. Mobile live stream provided by Alpha Geek Radio. Go to mobile.alphageekradio.com.
Follow the show on Twitter @ITNcast, Facebook.com/Amovetv, And ITNpodcast.reddit.com.
Thanks to Brian Griffith, the musician responsible for our intro music. He can be found at briangriffithmusic.com or @briangriffith on twitter..
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
The Angry Chicken: A Hearthstone Podcast
The Angry Nerd
Just because we aren’t running ads at the top doesn’t mean these codes are any less awesome!
Our code, ITN, will get you a free 120gb SSD added to your already amazing Doghouse gaming PC.
The same code, ITN, will get you 30% off and free shipping on your entire order of noise-reducing earbuds from Tweaked Audio!