STEM Festival - Suggested Activities for Departments
Art and Music
- Music teacher could welcome the visitors at the entrance hall with some of their students playing instruments
- Student artwork could be exhibited and the students who created the artwork could present them.
- Face painting
- Art teacher may coordinate the school decoration for the festival.
- Make flags for country that is represented at the school.
- Play music from the represented countries of the students.
- PE teachers and students could present their success history or may have PE competitions at a certain time during open house.
- There could be a spelling bee contest in an English classroom at a specific time
- There could also be presentation tables of different cultures in the hallway by the LOTE and Social studies departments. Food, historical costumes, other cultural items can be displayed by students.
- Previous international/cultural trips can be displayed with photo albums and posters.
- Success story of our graduates can be presented with photo displays.
- The college counselors can give a test that measures career choice.
- Math PBL projects, demonstrations
- Math puzzles and games can be demonstrated to visitors. (winners can be awarded with candies)
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics PBL Level 2-3 projects and hands-on demonstrations
- Cool science fair projects
- Construction products of students for Science Olympiad events such as bridges.
- Use motion sensor along with EZscreen software to have our students and parents try to make their position time, acceleration time, and velocity time graphs. Their graph can be printed too :)
- Last year one of our parents from HSA North Austin brought multiple animals such as maxi snake, alligator during STEM festival. This year, we will keep requesting those animals from parents.
- Huge Quick sand goo experiment.(starch-water) Use a extra large pan and let people walk on it.
- Thermal camera can be placed in an entrance with a TV next to it.
COMPUTER SCIENCE & ROBOTICS
- Robotics shows .
- Computer dept. may open the computer labs and students can present some elective courses like web design class , video rendering , engineering courses. Also, some of digital PBL presentations can be displayed.
- Teacher can set up a green screen so students can take pictures or simulate a video game.
- Engineering Week is Feb 22-28 and Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day is Feb 26. 3-4 students can volunteer to discuss and explain the purpose behind these days. Students can pass out informative packets to guest.
- 3D Printer Showcase