Northwestern Middle School
Principal Mr. Greg Lehman
150 Harthan Way • Albion, PA 16401 • 814.756.9400 Ext. 5 • Fax: 814.756.9415
Principal • Athletics • Staff Web Pages • Guidance Page • Student Handbook • Olweus Bullying Program • Check Grades (MS) • NWSD • 6th Grade Assignments • 7th Grade Assignments • 8th Grade Assignments • Specials
Middle School Announcements
Monday, December 11, 2017
- Happy Birthday today to Mrs. Braden!
- Any girl in 6th, 7th or 8th grade interested in playing in the winter basketball mini-league program at Northwestern MIddle School can pick up a flyer in the middle school office. All registration forms must be returned by Friday, December 15th.
- All 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students are invited to compete in the middle school chess tournament. You could win a cool prize and, more importantly, bragging rights. The games will be held during the Gamer Guild gatherings on Tuesdays after school in the high-school library. The bracket will stretch over weeks, so you will need to commit to showing up on Tuesdays. It doesn't matter if you haven't attended Gamer Guild yet. Stop by the library to pick up more information on the Gamer Guild and to sign up for the chess tournament.
- All students are invited to participate in the National Geographic Geography Bee. A geography bee is a contest where students are asked questions about the earth’s countries, cities, landforms, water, and people. In the bee, students receive seven questions and receive a point for each correct answer. The top ten finishers form a final round and compete to determine our top three finishers. First, Second, and Third place finishers receive a gift card for Valenza’s, Jim and Sue’s, or the Cakery and the school champion receives a medal and a beautiful new globe. The champion also takes a test to qualify to be one of the top 100 students in the state, who compete at Penn State University in April. The state winner then competes at the national level in Washington, DC where the first place winner will receive a $50,000 scholarship, $500 cash, and a trip to the Galapagos Islands. The Northwestern Middle School Geography bee is run by Mr. Canfield and will be held in the library on the morning of Friday December 22nd, the last day of school before the holiday break. Now is the time to prepare. There are globes and books in the library to help you practice, there are loads websites to help you study, AND you have a map of the world in your agenda to look at. Also, try answering our geography bee question for each day leading up to the bee.
- 6th Grade Band is on Lesson Schedule B this week.
- Students are reminded to handle their Chromebooks with care; this includes carrying them in a secure manner in the hallway between classes.
- There is a lost and found located in the Middle School Office. Items are added daily. Please remember to check lost & found when you are missing something.
- Students are not to arrive at school before 7 a.m. Students are to use Entrance 16, which is located by the 6th grade, between 7 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. Entrance 13, which is the main MS entrance next to the office, is only to be used after students are dismissed from their busses at 7:15 a.m.
- Students needing to see the NURSE are reminded they must get a pass from their teacher and then report to the Middle School Office to sign out. Students that go to the nurse without having teacher permission and signing out in the office will be considered skipping.
- Reminder there is to be no pushing, shoving, running or other horseplay in the halls, or anywhere on school property, before, during or after school. This includes after lunch on the way back from the cafeteria and the sidewalk area as students are dismissed from school. Students doing any of these behaviors will be assigned detention.
- Students staying after school for any reason are reminded they must be supervised by an adult. Students staying after for any activity, including to watch games, must wait in the high school lobby or leave school property until the activity begins.
Follow The Pride Program
The Northwestern Middle School is dedicated to providing students the opportunity to become lifelong learners and reach their highest potential while developing respect, responsibility, and good citizenship. We are committed to the successful transitions between elementary school and high school. Our goal is to teach and model respect, responsibility, citizenship, and the desire for knowledge.
As a Middle School "Family", we are looking for ways to collaborate our mission and expectations for staff and students. The "Follow The Pride" slogan was developed by a committee of teachers to describe what our purpose is for our students. The four components of the Pride program are listed below:
1. Be Respectful
Listen when others are speaking
Speak kindly to others
Keep your hands to yourself
2. Be Responsible
Come to class prepared: pencil, agenda, book, binder, homework, etc.
Be on time
3. Be A Good Citizen
Pick up trash/papers when you see them
Help others when they need it
Confine food/candy/gum to approved areas
4. Be a Good Learner
Maintain a positive attitude
Do your best
Attend school regularly
Participate in learning activities
Warning Bell = 7:25
Homeroom = 7:27 – 7:33 / 6 minutes
Period 1 = 7:36 – 8:19 / 43 minutes
Period 2 = 8:23 – 9:05 / 42 minutes
Period 3 = 9:09 – 9:52 / 43 minutes
Period 4 = 9:56 – 10:38 / 42 minutes
Period 5 = 10:42 – 11:25 / 43 minutes
Period 6 = 11:29 – 12:11 / 42 minutes
Lunch = 12:13 – 12:43 / 30 minutes
Period 7 = 12:50 - 1:33/ 43 minutes
Period 8 = 1:37 - 2:16 / 42 minutes
Homeroom = 2:16 - 2:20 / 4 minutes