PokéMath Duel Instructions
- Each student in the pair will (secretly) choose a monster in his/her pokédex to use for the duel. They will write the monster name on their whiteboard.
- A question/problem will be shown on the projector for students to answer. Each student will write their answer on the whiteboard within a certain time limit (depending on the problem.)
- If the student gets the answer right, their chosen pokémon scores a hit! The hit will have a strength that is modified by: (a) rarity (power) of the pokémon, and (b) the opponent’s pokémon type (each type has strengths and weaknesses against other types.)
- If both pokémon score a hit (both students get correct answer), the one with the stronger hit wins the duel! The winning student is rewarded with more ClassDojo points (in my class, I have a “Superstar” behavior that is worth 3 points.) In the case of a tie, both players get a lesser point value (1 point in my class.)
Hit Strength = (strength) x (type-matchup 1) x (type-matchup 2) x (type-matchup 3) x (type-matchup 4)
- Venusaur (very rare grass/poison) vs. Slowbro (rare water/psychic)
- Both get correct answer (hit)
- Venusaur hit strength = 2.5 (very rare) x 2 (grass-water) x 1 (grass-psychic) x 1 (poison-water) x 1 (poison-psychic) = 5.0
- Slowbro hit strength = 2.0 (rare) x ½ (water-grass) x 1 (water-poison) x 1 (psychic-grass) x 2 (psychic-poison) = 2.0
- VENUSAUR WINS!