2-3 Positions Available
SummerWrite Youth Arts Education Internship
mid-June, 2017 to August 25, 2017
20-40 hours per week, Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 PM
Writers & Books internships offer candidates the chance to work in a creative and dynamic workplace and the opportunity to learn while working with Writers & Books staff and teaching artists.
For the right candidate, we are flexible with schedule but all candidates must be available to work Monday and Friday from 8:30-4:30.
Interns will gain experience in youth arts education, arts administration, and the nonprofit sector at Rochester’s only literary center.
- Work with the Director of Youth Education and the SummerWrite Coordinator on all things SummerWrite-- Writers & Books’ 9 week reading and writing youth camps for kids ages 5-18. Each camp runs 1 week (with the exception of our teen mastery class), either full day or half day, and include such topics as Harry Potter, Magic Tree House, playwriting, poetry, songwriting, etc.
- Manage the SummerWrite tumblr and other social media as requested
- Use Constant Contact to send out weekly informative email to parents
- Supervise kids during lunchtime on the playground. This includes accounting for all kids before going outside, interacting with kids during lunch, and making sure every child has a safe lunch experience.
- Assist in clerical and administrative work such as making copies, putting together anthologies, etc.
- Compile evaluation results from each class and create evaluation spreadsheets to share with SummerWrite staff
- Create flyers and other advertisements for youth programs as needed
- Organize and disseminate camper information sheets to SummerWrite Coordinator and teaching artists
- Occasionally assists in classrooms with teaching artists or accompany classes on field trips
- Be a resource to staff, teaching artists, parents, and campers
- Other duties as assigned
- A demonstrated interest in the literary arts and/or youth education
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of or quick ability to learn programs such as tumblr, Constant Contact, Filemaker, etc.
- Current college student
Please note that this internship is unpaid.
To Apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to Sally Bittner Bonn, Director of Youth Education, at email@example.com by March 25, 2017. The email subject line should include your name and SummerWrite Internship.