SGA Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
12:00 p.m. SC 204
Call to Order:
Approval of Minutes:
ASAP motioned to approve the minutes from the March 26, 2014 meeting;
Hurricane Men’s Soccer seconded the motion and the meeting minutes were approved.
President – Tam Nguyen (email@example.com)
- Friendly reminder: A filtered drinking water dispenser has been installed in the Health & Wellness Center for testing. It can be found outside the entrance to the gym.
- SGA officer applications for 2014-2015 are open now, the deadline for submission is Monday April 21, 2014 at 4:00PM.
Vice President – Sean Glaser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary – Devin O’Donnell (email@example.com)
- Minutes posted on SGA page in LSC4ME within 1 week of SGA meetings.
- Agendas posted before meetings. If you have not already joined the SGA page in LSC4ME, you will need to do that to view agendas and minutes.
- Announcements to be mentioned must use the form located near the nametags. Please write the club names along with full details regarding events written on form when submitting an announcement.
Parliamentarian – David Pham (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The meetings run according Robert Rules of Order.
- Discuss what “Campus Issues/Concerns/Compliments” actually entails.
A-Team President – Luisa Salinas (email@example.com)
- Cajun Fest was a success, thank you all for coming out.
- Clearly You Crystals in SC-200 on April 16, 2014 from 10:00AM to 4:00PM.
- A-Team meeting Monday April 28, 2014 in SC-206 at 11:45AM. Pizza will be provided.
Night School Representative - Vacant ()
Victory Center Representative - Vacant ()
Greenspoint Representative – Michael Horner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Staff Advisor - Dan Mitsven (email@example.com)
- The Student Coordinator position that was vacated after Norma Guzman-Duran’s departure will be filled, barring further delays, sometime around the month of May.
- Rising Stars Banquet reminder, for those invited, please indicate if you will be attending otherwise it will be assumed that you are not attending. If you will have guests with you please indicate as well. Please also make sure to indicate which meal option is preferred as quickly as possible. Wednesday April 16, 2014 is the deadline for purchasing additional tickets, please visit the business office to procure them if necessary and they are $20/each.
- Please note that the officer applications for the SGA officer positions are open as of today April 9, 2014 and the deadline to turn in applications is April 21, 2014 at 4:00PM.
Faculty Advisor – Shae Adkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A reminder to students about summer and fall registration being open, please make sure to get registration taken care of quickly.
Campus Concerns, Questions, Compliments:
- Compliments from Tam Nguyen to the Honors College for not getting funding from Student Life yet they are still consistently showing up to SGA and Student Life meetings in order to remain up to date with events regarding the campus.
No guest speaker(s) attended this meeting.
- Phi Theta Kappa (ΦΘΚ-AAΡ): Choppin’ Cancer BBQ will be held on April 30, 2014 with proceeds from plates sold going to the “Bryan Barrows Living Legacy Scholarship”. For those that did not know Professor Barrows, he was one of LSC-North Harris’ speech faculty who recently passed away.
- Weekly meetings are held every Tuesday at noon in SC-208 (above the cafeteria) and are open to anyone.
- There will be a Cultural Awareness meeting in ACAD-126 on Wednesday April 30, 2014 from 12:00PM-12:30PM with Professor Janice Hartgrove-Freil speaking. Lunch will be provided and the topic has yet to be decided.
- AfterMath: The “π day + 1” event has been scheduled for 11AM to 1PM on April 14, 2014. There will be brainteasers with prizes such as designer bags, an X-Box 1, and a PS4, and each game console will come with one game. A raffle will be for a grand prize of one of the two consoles. A π recitation contest will also be held with the winner who recites the most digits from π receiving one of the gaming consoles. Again, this will be held in the courtyard from 11AM to 1PM on April 14, 2014.
- Cosmetology (CHI): We will be taking clients by appointment and walk-in on Tuesday through Friday. Free services will be offered to the public on Monday April 21, 2014. These services are both by appointment or walk-in and will include mani-pedi services, blow dry styles, and will have an esthetics option as well. If the service requested is esthetic in nature please call ahead to make an appoint as space is limited, these services include makeup application and waxing. Lash applications will also be done, however lashes must be brought with a client beforehand.
- Asian Student Association for Progress (ASAP): Selling Boba drinks for $3 cash only with all proceeds going towards Typhoon Haiyon victims.
- The Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Festival is on April 15, 2014 from 1:30PM to 7:00PM located in the courtyard with several events scheduled.
- For students interested in joining ASAP, they hold general meetings every Tuesday from 12:00-12:30 in SC-204
Roll call closure:
Motion to adjourn meeting by Hurricane Men’s Soccer, seconded by Cosmetology, motion passes and meeting was adjourned at 12:31 PM.