MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

10.17.16 at 6:30 pm – 25 N. Beech

BOD Approved on 11.14.16

  1. Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 6:37 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; Julie Suckla, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Kathy Clark, Member

Absent from BOD: None

Staff: Susan Likes, HOS; Aaron Knox, FD, John Whitehead (attended thru VII), Cassy Whitehead (attended thru VII)

Community Members: Stacey Weyand, Naomi Fish (attended thru VII)

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Kathy

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Chad

  1. Approval of the Previous Minutes
  1. 09.19.16 - Regular Meeting

Julie moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Approval of Agenda: Julie suggested that Dustin Jones be moved to the first item under IX. Reports.  Chad requested that Curriculum Committee be discussed under item X. New Business.  Julie moved to approve the agenda as amended, seconded, no further discussion, all approved.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. No discussion

  1. Staff Comments
  1. John invited one of his students to present on their recent class project:
  1. Naomi Fish presented on the small business being operated by the middle school class.  The Kiva Cafe is open on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7:30 to 7:45 am.  They sell hot chocolate and coffee (for adults only) for $1 per cup.  Currently they have a $9+ profit.  They are considering adding marshmallows for an additional 25 cents per cup.  The board would love to have future updates from the students and wish them much success with their business.
  1. John reminded the board of the read-a-thon and read-to-feed fundraiser that will take place this coming Wednesday.

  1. Consent Agenda
  1. Approval of RE-1 reconciliation / Purchased Services Agreement
  2. Approval of Response to Inappropriate Behavior flyer to be sent home

Julie moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Reports:

  1. Building and Location Committee - Julie
  1. Dustin Jones
  1. PowerPoint Presentation
  1. Assign action items
  1. Nothing assigned at this time
  1. Report/Discussion
  1. Finance Committee recommends staying in the current location for the next two years.
  1. Next Building and Location Committee meeting will be held on October 28th.

  1. Board President - Nate
  1. Board leadership training review
  1. Notes (uploaded to the drive).
  2. Board assessment (uploaded to the drive).
  3. Evaluation strategy for HOS and FD.
  1. HOS Evaluation procedure
  2. FD Evaluation procedure
  3. Board annual calendar planning procedure
  4. Goal: meet in January to set timeline and procedure of the evaluation process.
  1. Nate: create an Evaluation folder in the E/M S BOD Drive.
  2. All: find, upload, and review various rubrics/ideas for evaluations.
  3. Susan & Aaron: email Nate a list of what things are most important and areas of needed support/training about your jobs.

  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee - Chad
  1. Report
  1. We need to find funds for our reading interventionist - $15k
  2. Susan & Aaron: Nate requested possible solutions be presented at the next Budget & Financial Oversight Committee meeting.

  1. Head of School - Susan
  1. Report
  2. Montessori Philosophy Night - debrief
  3. Preliminary report on Audit
  1. Complete.  Will present information at the November BOD meeting.
  2. Celebration: zero comments!
  1. School accreditation
  1. Uploaded to drive
  1. Re1 invited us to participate in the ski club this January
  1. The board gives their blessings.
  2. Susan will send out the information this coming week.
  1. Susan requested BOD updates for the Kiva Kids Newsletter, particularly an update on location.
  1. Julie: send Nate information regarding location discussion.
  1. SAC
  1. Pay particular attention to tardies and absences.
  1. Winter Program has been changed to December 13th.
  2. Spring Program has been changed to May 18th.
  3. Financial Manual
  1. Presented to the Budget & Financial Oversight Committee for review.

  1. Finance Director - Aaron
  1. Report

  1. Development & Fundraising Committee - Kathy
  1. Report
  1. Support the book fair!
  1. Annual Appeal
  1. All: add names to the Kiva Donor Tracking Appeal List 2016-17.

  1. New Business
  1. Curriculum Committee - Chad
  1. Curriculum Committee would like to see high level transition pieces across all levels at the schools.
  2. Programming falls under administration and therefore the board does not need to be directly involved in this committee.
  3. Community resource spreadsheet.

  1. Shared Board Information
  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee will meet on Friday, Nov. 11th at 5:30 pm.
  2. November’s BOD meetings will be held on 11.14.16 as scheduled.
  1. Tamia: email CH BOD regarding meeting date.

  1. Calendaring – BOD President
  1. Upcoming events
  1. Book Fair, all week long (Oct 17-21)
  2. Lunch with a Loved One, all week long
  3. Parent / Teacher Conferences - book fair will be open!
  4. Building & Location Committee - Oct 28
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. 11.14.16 at 6:30 pm

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
  1. Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit
  2. Chad: provide Susan with contact information for GOAL Academy.
  3. Chad: reach out to community member for consideration to the board.
  4. Julie: reach out to current parent for consideration to the board.
  5. Julie: create a potential future board membership spreadsheet.

  1. Review all Action Items – Tamia
  1. Next Montessori Moment - Chad
  2. Nate: create an Evaluation folder in the E/M S BOD Drive.
  3. All: find, upload, and review various rubrics/ideas for evaluations.
  4. Susan & Aaron: email Nate a list of what things are most important and areas of needed support/training about your jobs.
  5. Susan & Aaron: Nate requested possible solutions be presented at the next Budget & Financial Oversight Committee meeting.
  6. Julie: send Nate information regarding location discussion.
  7. All: add names to the Kiva Donor Tracking Appeal List 2016-17.
  8. Tamia: email CH BOD regarding meeting date.

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s)
  1. Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
  2. Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
  3. Annual Appeal Packet Review - October

  1. Adjournment: Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 9:14 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of