EPICS V4 TELECON
1. Version 4.4 release finalization.
* confirm what we’re waiting on:
+ the c++ Getting Started amendments right? *Dave*
+ tech-talk announcement draft *Andrew*
is that it?
2. Agenda items for Oak Ridge meeting.
*Bob* I hear you have been collecting agenda items?
3. Annual virtual Christmas Party, closing with rousing rendition of the
Philosophers Song with full chorus.
PRESENT: GC, GW, MK, MS, SV
TOPIC: Version 4.4 release finalization
MK:’s comments on readiness:
Getting Started with EPICS V4
Dave says he is working on it but not up to date
pvAccess protocol specification says 7-April-2014
Suspect not up to date
pvAccess Configuration spreadsheet
AI: Matej save with view on 1st page and “make last page less puzzling”
Troubleshooting EPICS V4
Last modified: Fri Sep 21 15:00:35 CEST 2012
Is this up to date.
suggest that README file has as first sentence
make sure EPICS_BASE is defined and then
Beginning of home page.
Can the opening part with the blue background be improved?
MS: The Compatibility Tracker is up to date w.r.t. 4.4.0’s modules.
AI on GW: Try to make the banner page a little less shouty.
2. Agenda items for Oak Ridge.
GW: What things do we want to attack next year?
MK: Make a pvDatabaseJava, so it has same functionality as pvDatabaseCPP.
MK: Also, we have shared vector in cpp, so let’s at least discuss how to handle array in java.
MS: Difficult to do shared vector like behavior properly in java.
[asked what the issue is]
MK explains: with shared vector, one can minimize copy and memory, by only sharing pointers.
GC: I can share pvManager code that does array management
MS: The issue is really about reference counting.It’s more complicated than for garbage collection only. It’s about knowing how many users there are of a vector for deciding how to do array operations most efficiently at runtime.
GC: but then every client has to do its own management.
AI on MK: start an email thread outlining the array management issue in pvAccess and pvData java.
Intention: try to get to status of having comprehensible problem statement and outline solution areas by the January meeting.
2. advancement of pvmanager based gateway.
AI on GC: Prep presentation and recommendations for use of pvManager web server plugin as application level gateway, in january f2f meeting.
3. advancement of dbGroup.
Meeting Ends: 8:56 PST