Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, Nov 4th, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
All are welcome to learn about issues affecting our diverse postdoc community.
When: Monday, 10/26, 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Internationals Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, 10/27, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe (near Einstein’s Bagels)
Contact: Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy Committee Meeting
Learn about issues affecting the postdoctoral community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, 10/27, 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe
Contact: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Thursday, 10/29, 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign in support of a Mother’s room in Ross/Traylor/MRB complex:
If you are a mother who previously could have or may in the future benefit from a designated Mother’s Room in the Ross/Traylor/MRB complex, Please consider signing in support of the letter below. If you are willing to be counted, respond to Kelly by e-mail (email@example.com) with the information here
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Partnering towards discovery: Conversations
on Research and Medicine Thu., Oct 22nd
Partnering Toward Discovery events are designed to encourage basic science and clinical postdoctoral fellows and residents, as well as their faculty, to come together to interact and learn about the different facets of specific research projects at Johns Hopkins.
Join us for refreshments and a presentation on the clinical and research aspects of chemotherapy resistance and the epigenetics of colorectal cancer.
Faculty Speaker: Dr. Nita Ahuja, M.D
Postdoctoral fellow speakers:
Anup Sharma, Ph.D. and Valerie Lee, M.D.
When:: October 22 (Thursday), 2015, 4:00 PM
Where: West Room, Welch Library, 2nd Floor
Questions? Contact Jineta Banerjee
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Shuttle Social at Gordon Biersch, Thu., Oct 22nd
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at Gordon Biersch in the beautiful Harbor East! Just look for the balloon.
When: Thursday, Oct 22, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: 1000 Lancaster St., Baltimore
Transportation: Take the free Charm City Circulator’s Green line, stop # 107
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
International wine tasting, Wed., Oct. 28th
Come join us for an international wine tasting event on campus!! We will have different types of white and red wines from all over the world. Free for postdocs and $5 for guests (1 guest maximum). Limited space available, so sign-up now!
When: Wednesday, Oct. 28th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: West Lecture hall Pre-function lounge
(Wood Basic Science Building basement)
RSVP here - required!
Questions? Email Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
JHPDA Halloween Party, Fri.,Oct. 30th
Come join us for the JHPDA Halloween Party!
- Free Drinks, Free Snacks, Free Candy!
- Costume optional, but prize for best costume!
- Optional meet-up at pub on the JHMI-
Homewood shuttle route afterwards.
- All Postdocs Welcome
When: October 30th, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
Where: Owens Auditorium Pre-function Area (between CRB-1 & CRB-2)
Questions? Email email@example.com
Diversity Postdoctoral Alliance Committee Survey
Slides, Link 1
Slides, Link 2
Recently DPAC hosted a "Women in Science" town hall event. If you missed out on the inspiring stories and informative discussions, you can still get an idea of the topics addressed by viewing the attached PowerPoints from the WIS presentations.
Please take 2-3 min to complete the the following survey - pertaining to topics discussed at WIS here
Questions? Contact Stanley or Dionna
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Interested in a career in Outreach or in Science Writing?
Speakers: Raj Mukhopadhyay, Chief Science Correspondent & Geoff Hunt, Policy Outreach Coordinator with the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. October 20, 4:00 - 5:00 pm, 1830 Building, Classroom 2-108
Teaching Topics and Tapas - The 21st Century University Teacher – Dr. Richard Shingles, October 21, 5:30 - 7:00 pm, Levering Lounge, RSVP
Meso Scale Discovery Visits JHU
Info Session, Wednesday, October 28, 4:00 - 6:00 pm, Rangos 490
Interviews, MSD will return Tuesday, November 3, (12 pm onwards) to interview interested candidates for specific positions, 1830 Building, Room 2-101
Applying to Medical School as a Postdoc/Graduate Student
Friday, October 30, 12:00 - 1:30 pm, Wood Basic Science Auditorium
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures- Commercialization Academy
Want to transition from academia? Training Employment Opportunities
Details of how to apply are HERE
Excellence in diversity from the NIH point of view- Dr. Hannah Valantine, Chief Scientific Officer for Training/Workforce Diversity will give her perspectives on NIH policies around diversity and other related matters at 2 pm on Monday October 26 in Hurd Hall.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Networking night with JHU Alumni organised by Hopkins Biotech Network. Wednesday, October 21, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, Lebanese Taverna – Harbor East, Baltimore $10.00 for alumni and guests $5.00 for current Hopkins students / fellows. More details here and register here.
- AstraZeneca Info Session, Wednesday, November 4, 2:00 - 4:00 pm, Rangos 490, register here
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- The University of Miami-Miller School of Medicine and the Post-Doctoral Program Office are organizing the 2nd Annual Life Sciences Career Fair at the Miami 2016 Winter Symposium on inflammation. Register here posted 10/18
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women. For more information visit here.
- Tenure-Track Position In Genomics, W. M. Keck Science Department Claremont, California (US). Application begins 9/21. (posted 9/8)
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) fellowship or grant is accepting applications now. (Details here and here) posted 10/18
- The T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open for postdoctoral fellows. Invitations open for preliminary letters of interest. (details)
- The Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) and The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) call for applications (details) (posted 9/20)
- Two paid internship positions open at Acidophil LLC to work on synthetic biology or infectious diseases area (details: here and here ). (posted 9/14)
- ARPA-E Fellows 2015 due 10/16 (details)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- Yoga Remix, Mind and body Dance Party, November 6th, Homewood recreation center
- The Occasional Symphony returns this Halloween to present a curated soundtrack for the legendary silent film NOSFERATU: A SYMPHONY OF HORROR on Oct 31st. Purchase tickets here.
- Dan Meyer Choir presents “Cruisin’ Down Holliday Street” Nov. 22, 4:00pm, Clifton Mansion.
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.