Patient & Public Involvement (PPI) Group Meeting Minutes
Date: Monday 8th February 2016
Time: 17.30 pm - 18.30 pm
Venue: Stratford Village Surgery - Conference Room
Onika Winston - Communication & Engagement Officer (OW), Zara Bahar - Rota & Premises Manager (ZB), Bhupinder Kohli - Medical Director (BK), Marcus Hostettler - Practice Nurse (MH), Pt No. 60090, Pt No. 504071, Pt No. 69218
Kuljeet Sunder - HR Manager (KS), Florinda Ortiz - Medical Receptionist (FO), Funmilola Ajisafe - Trainee Manager (FA), Lubna Akthar - Business Admin Support (LA)
Welcome & Introductions
- Attendees introduced themselves to one another.
- Staff explained their roles at the surgery.
- Patients shared how long they had been a patient at Stratford Village Surgery.
- Zara explained that First 4 Health Group is a group of three practices in Newham (E12 Health, Stratford Village Surgery and Leytonstone Road Medical Centre) and that staff rotate between the three surgeries.
- Dr Kohli came to the meeting and introduced himself to patients. He added that the practices in First 4 Health Group are trying to work together to manage the changes in Newham.
- (PPI Group Chair / Vice Chair person)
- Onika has added this item to the agenda to be discussed.
- (Onika to show patients First 4 Health Group and NHS Choices website)
- This item is on the agenda to be discussed.
PPI Group Chair / Vice Chair person - Reference to the Forum of Health & Wellbeing toolkit page 14
- Onika explained that the Forum for Health & Wellbeing provides a network for other patient groups in Newham to discuss and compare what they are doing in their surgeries.
- She added that the toolkit they created is a document that supports GP surgeries setting up their patient groups.
- Attendees looked at page 14 & 15 of the toolkit.
To help structure the patient group and its activities, it is useful to have a Chair and Vice Chair person and a Secretary.
They can be agreed and/or elected.
Chair person: Chairs and manages meetings and is the main link between the patient group and the practice staff.
The Chair should ensure:
- All members have been introduced to each other
- All members have the opportunity to speak
- All relevant/agenda items are discussed
- Decisions are made and action taken to implement them
- A vote is called where it is required
- The Chair may also be asked to represent the group
Vice Chair deputises in the absence of Chair, therefore, all the above
apply to this role.
Secretary: The secretary is responsible for supporting the Chair and
ensuring the group runs smoothly. It is best to have the Practice
Manager or member of staff as secretary as they will have access to
necessary resources: patients’ contact details, photocopier and
availability of Practice room for meetings etc.
The Secretary should:
- Arrange and publicise meetings.
- Take notes at meetings (although this can be shared with patient
- Prepare and circulate meeting agendas, minutes and any other
Source: Patient Participation Group, Resources & Toolkit for GP Practices in Newham. The Forum for Health & Wellbeing.
- A patient mentioned that we should have more patients in attendance to chair the meeting.
- Another patient added that whilst they are happy to assist with the minuting on the meetings they would not be able to take up any other secretarial roles.
- Onika explained that this is fine as that is what her role includes.
Terms of Reference
- Onika briefly read through the terms of reference for the Stratford Village Surgery PPI Group.
- She informed patients that they would be able to view this document on the First 4 Health Group website.
- She also asked them to alert her to any changes they feel need to be made.
- A patient added that they thought it was an important endeavour to drive towards communication between practice and patients.
- They also said that in order to make the meetings work we need thoughts, ideas and work.
- A patient added that patients could give Doctors advice about their health. Patients could experiment with their health and inform Doctors of the outcome.
- A patient shared an experience of changing their diet to improve their health.
- Onika agreed that nutrition is an important part of looking after our health.
- Marcus asked what ideas do patients have to start a dialogue between staff and patients.
- One of the patients responded that Doctors are run off their feet and they do not get enough time to speak to patients.
- Marcus agreed that consultation times are short.
- A patient said that if patients have something to say to Doctors they should be able to meet with them.
- Onika added that her role includes being a middle person for patients and staff. She added that patients are welcome to speak to her regarding any queries they may have for clinical staff.
- Marcus mentioned that Doctors learn a lot from patients. They learn a lot from books but the casework and learning how practically is how they learns.
- A patient agreed with this and shared his experience of health and his severe osteoporosis and how his Doctor did not have and lived experience of his condition.
First 4 Health Group websites / NHS Choices
- Onika went through the First 4 Health Group website.
- She showed attendees where they can find information on Stratford Village Surgery, where they can send complaints, the Patient & Public Involvement Group page where they can find minutes and agendas from previous meetings and the date for the next meeting.
- Onika also added that patients can go to the Community Hub on the First 4 Health Group website to find out what events are on in Newham.
- A patient raised what recommendations are there from Doctors.
- Marcus mentioned that there is activeNewham that is there to link GPs with health based services. He added that patients can receive the referral through the Doctor or they can refer themselves.
- Marcus added that prescription exercise is no longer available at Stratford Village Surgery.
Any other business
- A patient added that the attendance of these meetings are still very low.
- Onika explained how she promotes the meetings at the surgery with; text messages, posters, flyers, and phone calls to patients who would like more information.
- A patient raised an idea of staff and members of the PPI Group should walk and talk to patients in the Reception area.
- Onika agreed that this was a great idea and that she would be happy to do this.
- Marcus added that having refreshments at the meeting for attendees may also help.
- Onika agreed that this was true and that she will ensure that for all future meetings there will always be refreshments available.
- Marcus also added that is there any other venue this meeting could take place.
- Onika replied that external venues may have a cost to them.
- Patients added that they were happy with the conference room as a venue.
- Marcus explained that a change of setting may be good for staff to be able to relax and take their professional hat off.
- A patient responded that they can’t see the disadvantage of staff leaving their professional hat on.
- Onika asked staff to think of any ideas for items to be discussed in the next meeting to contact her and let her know.
Date of next meeting
- Onika confirmed that the next meeting would take place on Monday 7th March 2016 at the same time of 17.30 pm - 18.30 pm.
F4HG - 2015-12-14 - Stratford Village Surgery - PPI Group Meeting Minutes