BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL - SENIOR ACTIVITIES
Updated March 20, 2017 – INFORMATION SUBJECT TO CHANGE
September to June - Order or get a loaner cap & gown from Achievers Inc. Prices increase in January.
0ctober 31, 2016 - Deadline for “Petition To Graduate Early” forms with Counselor/Registrar’s Office
Fall 2016 – College application deadlines, SAT/ACT testing. More info in the College & Career Center.
Now Spring 2017, Turn in transcript request for Mid-Year College Reports (Registrar’s Office)
March 27 – April 21 – Senior Prom tickets are on sale during lunch & after-school.
March 21 - Senior Class Informational Meeting in Community Theater during 6th period.
April 22 8 pm -12 am – Senior Prom will be held in San Francisco at the Bently Reserve.
May & June - Submit address info if different from current address for diploma mailing. (Registrar’s Office)
May & June - Submit FINAL college transcript request forms. (Registrar’s Office)
May - Graduation ticket info to be sent via E-tree, bulletin, email. Details are on page 3.
June 13 1:00 – 1:30 pm – Graduation Meeting in Donahue Gym. All Seniors attend!
June 16 9:00 – 11:00 am – Graduation Rehearsal at the Greek Theater. All Seniors attend!
June 16 5:30 – 8:30 pm – Graduation at the Greek Theater. Doors open at 4:30 pm.
Small Learning Community Graduations & Cultural Celebrations
May 30 – AHA Graduation – @ Freight & Salvage 6:00 - 8:30 pm Contact Mat Glaser
June 1 - Bridge Cohort 4 Graduation @ BHS Library 6:00 - 8:00 pm Contact Ashley Daly
June 3 – AfAm Studies Graduation - @ Community Theater 2:00 - 4:00 pm Contact Naomi Washington
June 5 – CAS Graduation – @ Freight & Salvage Contact Amy Crawford
June 7 - AC Graduation @ Berkeley Community Theater at 6:00 – Contact Felicia Phillips
June 8 – AMPS Senior Celebration – 6:00 - 8:30 pm BCC Atrium & Auditorium Contact Claudia Gonzalez
June 8 - ISP BBQ & Senior Recognition @ 5:00 pm Contact Tiffany Williams
June 9 – Newcomer Celebration - @ BHS Cafeteria 6:00 - 9:00 pm Contact Marcela Taylor
June 9 - BIHS Graduation – @ BHS Community Theater 5:00 pm Contact Shannon Fierro
June 10 - Chicano Latino Celebration – ceremony @ St. Ambrose Church Contact Leticia Amezcua
June 10 – Asian Celebration – 11:00 a.m. @ Berkeley Methodist United Church Contact Dana Moran
Final Week of School Seniors are expected to be in all classes during the final days of school.
Tuesday, June 13 Period 1, 8:30-10:30 am Period 2, 10:40-12:40 pm
Wednesday, June 14 Period 3, 8:30-10:30 am Period 4, 10:40-12:40 pm
Thursday, June 15 Period 5, 8:30-10:30 am Period 6, 10:40-12:40 pm
*Friday, June 16 Make Up Finals. Please contact your teacher to set this up.
June TBD – 1:00 – 1:30 pm Mandatory Senior Graduation Meeting in the Community Theater
June 16 – 9:00 – 11:00 am - Graduation Rehearsal at the UCB Greek Theater.
All seniors who plan to participate in the graduation MUST be present at BOTH rehearsals.
June 16 – 5:30 pm-8:00pm - Graduation at the UCB Greek Theater. Please arrive by 4:30 pm!!!
*Periods 0/7 will be at the teacher’s discretion. Make-up finals for excused absences must be arranged with teachers during the afternoon (1:30 pm – 2:45pm) on one of the final exam days or on June 16.
Outstanding Debts & Book Fines Students must clear all financial obligations (including book debts, athletic equipment, etc.) to the school prior to obtaining graduation and/or Senior Prom tickets and receiving a diploma. Check the updated fines list posted in D173. All fines can be paid in the Student Body Accounts Office in D173.
Seniors won't receive their High School Diplomas until they return all their textbooks and library books back to the textbook room and library. Senior would be able to check their outstanding fines during the lunchtime in the textbook room and after school in the library.
Please Note Seniors may not be allowed to participate in school activities if any of the following apply:
· 30 or more period unverified absences for any class from August 30, 2016, - March 3, 2017.
· Suspension for any discipline matter (For Senior Prom, this policy will be in effect after March 6).
· Textbook or library book debts for books not being used this semester. Families will be mailed a list of books that have not been returned.
· Outstanding athletics fees.
Prom 2017: Midnight in Paris Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
Location: Bently Reserve 301 Battery St, San Francisco, CA 94111
Time: 8:00 pm–11:30 pm – Doors close at 9:30pm - No in & out privileges for any reason.
Parking: Please visit bentlyreserve.com/ for directions and parking suggestions. Parking will be available for $10 in the lot across from the Bently Reserve.
1. Attire: This is a formal event. Dress should be appropriate and not disruptive. Students who dress in an inappropriate manner will not be admitted.
2. Tickets: Beginning March 27, Senior Prom Tickets are on sale starting for $70 for the first week in the Leadership Office at lunch and after school. Tickets will be sold Monday through Friday. The ticket price will increase to $75 after March 31, so please buy early. Students in the free and reduced lunch program can purchase tickets at $50. Please show proof of eligibility at the time of purchase. Cash or check are payable to “BHS ASB”. Tickets will also be available online bhsprom2017.bpt.me
3. Guest Passes and Contracts: Non-BHS Guest Passes must be submitted when tickets are purchased. Only guests 20 years of age or younger will be admitted to the Senior Prom. The BHS Dance Conduct Policy will be strictly enforced. The last day guest passes are accepted will be April 14. Passes are available in the Leadership Office.
4. Sobriety: For your safety, any student suspected of being under the influence or in possession of an illegal or controlled substance, either when arriving or during the Prom, will have his/her parents/guardians notified and will be required to leave the premises. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up and all school policies/consequences will be enforced.
Issuance of Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, and Cap & Gowns
Place graduation orders at anytime by visiting the Achievers website: graduationorder.com
Use the code bhs510 to order caps and gowns as well as other graduation products before April ?.
The deadline to request a LOANER cap/gown/tassel is April 15, 2017.
On October 24 & 26, we will be on campus for orders cap/gown orders, announcements, & class rings.
On June 16, ACHIEVERS will be at the UC Berkeley Greek Theatre from 10am to 9pm to take care of any last minute cap/gown issues. Seniors can order their cap/gown order at any of the event dates listed.
First Grad. Cap/Gown Purchase date on campus
Mon. April 18
Grad. Cap/Gown Distribution(Last Names A-L)
2:30 - 4:00pm
Tue. April 19
Grad. Cap/Gown Distribution(Last Names M-Z)
2:30 - 4:00pm
Fri. June 16
Graduation Practice and Ceremony
10 am – 9 pm
Details on Cap & Gowns Caps and gowns will be distributed as detailed above.
1. Beginning with the Class of 2017, seniors will have their choice of color, red or gold, at the time of purchase.
2. Each gown will be marked with the student’s name. Be sure that you have a gown, cap and tassel in your package.
3. Purchased caps and gowns are individuals’ to keep and do not need to be returned. Please consider donating your cap & gown to the Leadership Office for use by a future graduate.
4. Decorations can only be applied to the top of the cap. Decorated gowns will not be allowed in the ceremony.
5. Please contact Achievers Inc. at 408.441.7200 if you have any questions.
Cap, Gown, and Tassel Loaner Program Achievers Inc. and BUSD have agreed to begin a loaner program for cap, gown, and tassel loaner for seniors to wear during the commencement ceremony. Please understand that per Berkeley Unified School District’s (BUSD) requirements, this cap, gown, and tassel, must be returned immediately following the ceremony. Under Ed Code section 48904, failure to return each of these three items (cap/gown/tassel) may result in the student’s diploma being held by BUSD and not being issued until the District has received payment for these items. In order to set up a loaner, please visit www.graduationorder.com and enter the code bhs510 You will select “Loan” after logging into the website. Please return your loaner cap, gown and tassel immediately following the ceremony. If you forget to return your loaner cap, gown, and tassel after graduation ends, please return these items to the registrar’s office at BHS the following week. The deadline to request a LOANER cap/gown is April 15, 2017.
Diploma Your diploma should be mailed during the month of July. You will need to provide your SUMMER MAILING ADDRESS if different from the one currently on file at Berkeley High School. You will need to provide the updated address to the Registrar’s office at lunchtime and after school (ONLY) until 3:45pm, Monday through Friday from now until June 16, 2017.
If you do not receive your diploma during the summer of 2017, you will need to come to the Registrar’s office (Room D173) starting the month of September, in the event it was returned or diploma being held due to debts.
A Potential Graduation List will be posted around the Counseling department, College Career Center and the Leadership Office by the end of April. Take a moment and check it out. NOTE: The name that's listed will be how the name will appear on your diploma, so make sure the spelling is correct. If you find a discrepancy, bring it to the Registrar's office D173, during lunch or after school before May 24
that will give us time to request a corrected diploma before they are mailed home during the summer.
GRADUATION: TICKETS information available in spring 2017. ALL INFO BELOW IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Date: Friday, June 16, 2017
Time: 5:30 pm ~ 8:30 pm. Doors open around 4:30 pm.
Location: UC Berkeley Greek Theater. 2001 Gayley Rd. Berkeley, CA 94720.
Parking: Please visit http://calperformances.org/visit/venues/greek.php for parking and directions.
Two Free Tickets: In the weeks close to graduation, all graduating seniors get two free bowl tickets for the graduation ceremony. These can be picked up from 3:00 - 4:00 pm BHS accountant in the box office at the A-gate along Allston Way. Before they can pick up their tickets, students need to complete a Senior Exit Report from the CCC & clear any book, material or athletic debts with the BHS accountant .
Additional Tickets: Tickets will be on sale up to (dates TBD) and during graduation, as long as they last. Tickets will be sold through the Cal Performances box office at UC Berkeley; online at http://tickets.berkeley.edu/, by phone at 510.642.9988, and in person at the Zellerbach Hall (cross street Bancroft & Dana). There is a limit of THREE BOWL TICKETS per purchase for the first week.
Box office and phone hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. CLOSED MONDAY. INFORMATION BELOW REFLECTS 2016 PRICES and IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Every person attending, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entrance.
Bowl Regular Price $22; Bowl Reduced price $15;
Lawn Regular Price $8; Lawn Reduced price $8.
Reduced Ticket Prices: Students on free and reduced lunch are eligible for discounted tickets. To receive discounted tickets, students should go to the reception desk in the counseling office. Discount codes will be available starting May ?. The discount code must be presented at the time of purchase to receive the discounted price. Students purchasing tickets with a discount code can purchase a limit of five tickets at the discounted price and must buy their tickets at Zellerbach Hall in person. (See above)
ADA Seating: The doors to the Greek Theater are scheduled to open by 4:30 pm for ADA seats first and then for general seating. Guests can be dropped off at the North Gate
1. ADA seating is available upon request at the time of ticket purchase. ADA patrons may purchase one ADA seat and one companion seat per disabled individual.
Graduation Day On Friday, June 16, seniors will report promptly to the Greek Theatre by 4:30 pm to line up for graduation. There will be considerable traffic congestion just before graduation, so it is recommended that students allow themselves an extra margin of time.
1. Caps and gowns must be worn at graduation.
2. Gifts and flowers should not be given to students prior to the ceremony due to lack of security.
3. Any student who engages in disruptive behavior during the ceremony, inflatable balls, etc. will be warned and then escorted from the graduate section if not compliant.
Shuttle Bus & Parking There are no designated parking areas for students or families at the Greek Theater, even for disabled parking. It is strongly recommended that you do not attempt to drive and park near the Greek theater up Hearst Street or onto Gayley Street as traffic congestion will be heavy. There will be shuttle buses running between BHS and the Greek Theater. Shuttles are scheduled to begin at 3:30 pm, picking up passengers at the corner of Milvia and Kittredge. Last shuttle back down is around 8:30 - 9:00 pm. It is also possible to walk from Downtown BART up to the Greek Theater.
Small School & Department Celebrations Please seek information from your student or leaders of your student’s program or small school, or heritage association for details on times and locations of their ceremonies. The dates are listed at the top of this letter.
(*Participation in a small school or departmental ceremony is not a guarantee that the student has indeed met all requirements necessary for graduation or that the student will be eligible to participate in the large school commencement exercises.)
Senior Awards Ceremony The Senior Awards Ceremony is May 24. This evening is one of recognition for scholarships and awards students have received. Students, parents and guests are invited to attend. Further information will be available at a later date.
Behavior Reminder We would like to finish this year on the same positive note that we have had all year, and we would like to remind seniors of a few behavior expectations:
1. After the Senior Meeting, seniors who violate any school policy that causes an out-of-school suspension will forfeit all rights for participating in graduation activities, including the Senior Prom.
2. Sobriety: For reasons of safety, any student suspected of being under the influence at any event will have his/her parents/guardians notified. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up.
ASB Sticker An ASB sticker holder will receive free entry into all home basketball and football games, a t-shirt, prom discounts, as well as a free yearbook. ASB Sticker member forms are available in the Leadership Office or by contacting Mr. V and must be submitted by October 14.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks can be ordered online at www.yearbookordercenter.com or in person in C327. Sales of yearbook typically begin in late fall and continue all the way until May. Yearbook distribution takes place in the weeks leading up until Graduation. Stephenie Hollyman is the current Yearbook Advisor. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Portraits Please contact ABC School Portraits about scheduling an appointment for the sessions that will take place on campus in the fall. Visit www.abcschoolportraits.com to create an account or call 707.297.7304 for the latest information. For students who only want their portrait in the yearbook, there is a free option available. Also, please note that there is a deadline to get a senior portrait into the school yearbook, so try to schedule an appointment before January 1, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact the Main Office at 510.644.6120 or Mr. V in the Leadership Office at 510.644.8990 or email@example.com.