Middletown Springs Public Library
Regular Trustee Meeting
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
7:00 at the Library
Present: Kristal Hier, Kimberly Bushnell, Alida Tarbell, Patty McWilliams, Beth Miller
1. Call to Order 7:01 pm
2. Changes, Additions, Approval of Agenda
· No changes
3. Approval of Minutes
· Beth moved to approve minutes of June 26, 2019, Alida seconded, motion carried
4. Policy Review & Discussion
· No policies for review – tabled until September
5. Treasurer’s Report
· Kristal moved to approve Treasurer’s Report; Alida seconded; motion carried
6. Librarian’s Report
· See below
7. Friends Update
· Rescheduled Batik and Sip for September 7
· Lawn Sale September 28
· Pursuing the idea of purchasing outdoor seating for the library
· Next meeting September 10, 2019 – 7pm; Kimberly and Diane to attend
8. Building Committee Update
· Still working on feasibility study
8. Old Business
o They loved performing in Middletown Springs
o Made $380
· Strategic Plan
o Tabled until full board to discuss
9. New Business
· Library Anniversary in October – will add some photos to the newsletter and have an appreciation tea Sunday, October 6 from 3:30 – 5:00. Tea and cookies.
· Calendar – Kimberly will be dividing up tasks to be given out after Labor Day. Estimated time to printer October 1.
10. Other Lawful Business
· Sign additional board orders for payroll in September
11. Next Meeting Date –
· September 25, 2019
12. Alida moved to adjourn; Beth seconded; motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:52 pm.
Librarian’s Report August 2019
o Job Description – librarian/library director job description still needs updating. No progress by KB.
o Volunteer Gaps – 2nd Saturday and 3rd Monday need regular volunteer coverage.
o New Books! Lots of new titles.
o Inventory – we are looking to do one.
o 40 years – library moved into this building on October 6, 1979. How do we want to mark the occasion?
o VT Reads – March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell (graphic novel)
o Book Discussion
o How & Why to Read a Graphic Novel - with Jon Mathewson
o Summer Programing – Theme: A Universe of Stories (Space)
o Stuffed Animal Sleepover & Teddy bear Breakfast big hit as always with 27 animals sleeping over and special guest Malindi C-T performed with Melissa.
o Town Challenge – Reading to the Moon We will have more than enough miles!
§ Splash Down Party – needs to be scheduled and planned
o Toddler Time – restarts Sept 16, most Mondays until Thanksgiving at 10:30 am
o Book Group: Thursdays at 7pm
o To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf – Aug 29
o Educated by Tara Westover – Sept 26
o Driveway – town crew repaired entrance. Yay!
o Monoxide/Fire Alarm – I have yet to reach out to Andy as suggested last meeting.
o DVD/Surround Sound system – no progress.
o Cushions – fabric collected. Ideally recovered before Toddler restarts on Mon. Sept 16.
o Librarian’s Computer – nothing purchased yet…
o Zookeepers Concert – the band thought we were incredible hosts!
o Calendar – Renewal forms have been coming in. There will be many to reach out to still. Forms due back Sept 1. Plan to have all info & money gathered by Oct 1!
Policy: No policy work until fall.
o Co-Sponsoring (Underwriting) – Zookeepers Concert $200. Did we get this??
o Batik & Sip – rescheduled to Sat, Sept 7, 6-9pm at MSHS. Sign up in advance ($25/4, $30/8 napkins)
o Lawn Sale – scheduled for Sat, Sept 28.
o Outdoor Furniture – discussion about creating outdoor seating area or picnic table.
o Next meeting - Tuesday, Sept. 10 at 7pm.
Strategic Planning // Action Plan – steps need to be outlined
As always, it is a pleasure to serve this board and town. Thank you for your continued support.
Respectfully Submitted, Kimberly Bushnell, Library Director