SHOWCASE SHOWS | Fridays at 10PM on the Mainstage
Feature a diverse offering of innovative original comedic content representing the theater’s highest levels of production and quality, showcasing the best talent at ImprovBoston to provide audiences hilarious, accessible, and consistently top-notch programming.
SHOWCASE SHOWS ARE EXPECTED TO...
- Perform in one of IB’s most prominent offerings in the main theater on Fridays at 10pm.
- Typically run between 3 and 8 weeks, based on the theater’s schedule and your show’s particulars.
- Dedicate fully to your ensemble, rehearsal process, and director.
- Submit a detailed budget to the Managing Director no less than one month prior to your first show. ImprovBoston may reimburse expenses up to $50/week of performances.
- Communicate openly and thoroughly with the Artistic Director who will support and guide your production team and is ultimately responsible for the creative success of your show.
- Collaborate openly and thoroughly with the Managing Director with regards to your marketing strategy, the theater’s promotional resources, ticket sales, and other infrastructural logistics.
- Run all PR through the Managing Director prior to going public, including proofing press releases, potential interviews or radio spots, guerilla marketing, etc. ImprovBoston must be the primary contact for all press outreach.
- Produce audience-centered shows playing to the top of your intelligence, heart, and comedic ability.
- Schedule your own tech and dress rehearsals. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Invite the Artistic Director to final rehearsals for creative and production feedback.
- Explore further development or production of the show with IB as artistic innovation, ticket sales, and overall success merit.
- Line up a dedicated Stage Manager or Assistant Director to assist the tech director from the booth during the show and ensure a smooth production with consistent quality control.
- Schedule a run of the show one-two weeks prior to opening night for the Artistic Director and Lead Producer to observe and give creative feedback.
- Provide the management team with high quality photos of the cast for use in press releases and external marketing.
SHOWCASE SHOWS RECEIVE...
- Marketing/Branding support from the theater including:
- In-house graphic design, including:
- Artwork for the show put as the header art for Facebook and Twitter
- Push on Facebook and Twitter using graphics
- Professionally printed poster in the IB windows (depending on length of run)
- Lead show on weekly email that goes to 13,000+ patrons
- Promotion in weekly email to 2,000+ current and former Comedy School students
- Submission to online calendars in Boston-area online calendars (Boston.com, ArtsBoston, Cambridge Patch, DigBoston)
- Press release drafted and sent out for the show (depending on length of run). Showcase press releases have been picked up by the Globe, Metro, New England Theatre Geek, etc..
- Consideration for show-focused Google Adwords campaign using ImprovBoston’s AdWords account.
- Budget of up to $50/performance week based on plan submitted by you and approved by Managing Director Tom Spataro (email@example.com). Plan to be delivered at least one month prior to first show.
- A professional tech director for all performances. IB will do its best to have a single tech for the entire run but can’t guarantee tech availability.
- A professional music director if requested at least a month prior to the first performance, subject to approval of the Artistic Director.
- Creative support, consultation, and guidance from the Artistic Director.
- Rehearsal space as available (pending classes, resident show rehearsals, etc.).
- Access to the theater by 930PM on performance days.
- Two (2) guaranteed comp tickets for each cast member to be used during the run. Submit comps for all ImprovBoston shows through this form by noon on Friday for that weekend’s shows.
- Online codes to discount tickets for friends and family may be made available.
- One tech rehearsal for improv shows, 2-3 tech rehearsals for sketch shows. This conversation must take place with the A.D. and/or associate producers prior to the start of the rehearsal process.
A FEW MORE DETAILS...
- Stage and any set pieces/props must be cleared by 11:25PM. Limited storage downstairs is available. Nothing may be left backstage.
- Check in with the House Manager prior to each show so they know you are the point person to contact should any issues arise the night of the show
- Water is the only liquid permitted on stage. No potentially messy substances (fake blood, pudding, glitter, etc.) are allowed. If you need to request an exception, you must speak with the Artistic Director before the final rehearsals. Damage to the stage, curtains, lighting, and sound equipment is expensive and impacts all other shows who share the theater.
- Showcase Shows run no longer than 70-75 minutes and must include a 5-7 minute intermission (included in the 75-minute max run time).
Affordable, fast postcards and posters
Reproman (across the street from IB)
Boston Event Twitter Handles
If your show has a Twitter account, add @improvboston to posts you’d like IB to retweet.
Other handles to tweet at for retweeting include (in order by approximate number of followers):
Approx. # of Followers