Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, July 1st, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Socials Committee Meeting
Come and be a part of the organizing committee for the next social event on/off campus!
When: Tuesday, June 9th, 9:30 am
Where: Atwater’s Cafe (map)
Contact: Justin La Favor
Communications Committee Meeting
Learn about ongoing communications initiatives; all welcome!
When: Wednesday, June 10th, 8:30 am
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Anna Blice-Baum or Pankhuri Vyas
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Newly Elected JHPDA Officers
The election results are in! Thanks to your participation, we received a total of 140 votes for the 2015-2016 term. The newly elected JHPDA Executive Board members are:
Stanley (Stan) Andrisse, PhD, MBA, Co-president
Rohan Gupta, MD, Co-president
Nicolas (Nick) Wyhs, PhD, Treasurer
Qinjie (Chelsea) Zhou, PhD, Secretary
Congratulations to the new Officers! The JHPDA is looking forward to another successful year of excellent programming. Stay tuned for a message from your new Co-presidents!
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
JHPDA Research Presentation Club, Wed., June 10th
Please join us for the June postdoc research presentation club, with an exciting pearl and very interesting postdoc talks:
Expert Pearl: The Job Talk - Story telling time!
By Kimberly Skarupski, Ph.D, MPH Assistant Dean for faculty development.
- Adipocyte nutrient sensing controls adult stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila. Alissa Armstrong
- Accumulation of Hypoxia Inducible Factor-1α in Retinal Cells in Response to Acute Hypoglycemia is Necessary for Survival. Monika Deshpande
When: Wednesday, June 10, 12:00 - 1pm
Where: PreClinical Teaching Building (PCTB) 113/114
Pizza will be served!
Diversity Journal Club and Town Hall Meeting, Tue., June 16th
Please join us in our second Diversity Journal Club and Town Hall Meeting. The first half of the meeting will be a discussion lead by the featured speaker to promote awareness on the topic. The second half will be a topic lead and open forum to discuss challenges that individuals of diverse backgrounds may face in the sciences pertaining to the topic.
Topic: Black Lives Matter and the Baltimore Uprising
When: Tuesday, June 16 2015, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Where: Tilghman Auditorium
JHPDA Shuttle Social, Thu., June 18th
The JHPDA Socials Committee invites you to the June Shuttle Social! Look for the yellow JHPDA balloon to find your fellow postdocs on-site.
When: Thursday, 6/18, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Nandos peri peri, 1300 Fleet street
Shuttle transportation: Charm city circulator, green line stop 107
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Career Options for Diverse PhDs
- Tuesday, June 9, 3:00 - 4:30 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108, RSVP here.
- Career opportunities in the life science industry, webinar SciPhD.com
- June 10, 2015 at 12pm PDT
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here or here)
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Academia careers beyond the postdoc: A panel discussion with successful scientists (6/15, details)
- Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - Program overview here
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- Program overview here; Teaching Academy (applications due 8/01; apply here)
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp 7/09 - 7/10
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers several graduate certificate programs and online programs in education. Details here
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (9/28 - 10/02; deadline 6/19; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
Science and Community Outreach events
- Baltimore Green Works (volunteer)
- AAAS STEM Volunteer Program (link; contact email@example.com)
- Community outreach: Girl Scouts troop at the Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women is looking for adult volunteers. More information here, volunteering form here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Lecturer position in Biochemistry at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC; details) (posted 4/19)
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) posted 6/08)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
- Baltimore Orioles free giveaways at games - promotion schedule!
- “In session” a new original drama by Monica Lopes-Gonzalez a former postdoc and now an artistic director and adjunct faculty at Peabody institute at Hopkins. Shows May 29-June 14 at Mattin center, Homewood campus. Details here.
- Dan Meyer Choir’s “Baltimore Song Book part II”, 2640 Space, (6/14, 4:00 pm)
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.