Thank you for your interest in being an OA at Valpo! You may edit your responses to questions on the OA application, even after you have submitted it, until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, March 19. If you have any questions regarding the application process or orientation programs, please contact Bonnie.Dahlke@valpo.edu
Orientation Assistant Job Description:
The Orientation Assistant (OA) is an experienced Valparaiso student who serves as student member of the orientation staff for the FOCUS and Fall Welcome programs within the Division of Student Affairs. As a staff member of the Division of Student Affairs, the Orientation Assistant has the responsibility of acclimating new students and their families to Valparaiso University, including, but not limited to, the following activities: promoting engagement with the university and its various resources, communicating university expectations, and serving as a support person to new students and families as necessary. Success of Valparaiso’s orientation and welcome programs is dependent upon the performance of each OA as he/she fulfills responsibilities and supports other staff members and students.
• Currently and actively enrolled as a full-time student at Valparaiso University during Fall and Spring Semester
in which employed as an OA;
• Maintain a 2.3 minimum cumulative grade point average;
• No standing judicial sanction(s) that extend through the dates of appointment;
Orientation Assistants are paid a stipend (one or two pay periods), based on years and level of service, for spring, summer, fall, and winter orientation work. This stipend payment is for all spring and summer training plus work and follow-up done as part of the formal FOCUS orientation programs (i.e. Summer, Fall, and Winter) and the Fall Welcome programs. Orientation Assistants receive additional compensation through free room and meals during training and orientation program dates.
• Fully participate in spring, summer, and fall training sessions; Lead spring, summer, and fall training
sessions if hired as a returning or lead OA;
• Oversee logistical details before, during and following June and August FOCUS events, August Fall
Welcome events, and January FOCUS (as needed);
• Facilitate small group discussion sessions for new students and families during orientation sessions; Lead
small group training if hired as a returning or lead OA;
• Project a caring, concerned, and approachable demeanor in order to facilitate communication and establish
positive relationships with incoming students and their families;
• Serve as a positive role model and mentor to incoming students and as a positive ambassador of the
University for families of incoming students via in-person, telephone, and electronic communication;
• Maintain contact with incoming students as they make their transition to the University;
• Promote campus traditions, programs, and resources; Teach new OAs about these traditions, programs,
and resources if hired as a returning or lead OA;
• Promote the OA experience to potential new staff members; Lead spring information sessions;
• Abide by the policies of Valparaiso University throughout the active employment period(s);
• Complete other duties as assigned;
Want to be an Orientation Assistant (OA)?
Remember these dates…
OA Informational Meetings:
Tuesday, Feb. 12 11:15 a.m. Harre Union- Alumni Room 269
Wednesday, Feb. 13 6 p.m. Harre Union- Alumni Room 269
Thursday, Feb. 21 5 p.m. Harre Union- Alumni Room 269
Spring Semester Dates:
Tuesday, March 19 Applications due by 5 p.m.
Friday, March 22 Group Process Interviews, either 5-7 p.m. or 7:30-9:30 p.m.- Location TBA
Mon., March 25-Wed., April 3 Individual Interviews (by invitation only)
Friday, April 5 Notification letters sent, acceptance responses due on or before Wednesday, April 10
Sunday, April 14 Late Night with OA Staff begins at 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 21 Spring OA Training, 12:30-3:30 p.m., Location TBA
Sunday, April 28 Spring OA Training, 12:30-3:30 p.m., Location TBA
OA Group Photo will be scheduled sometime in late-April/early-May
Tues.-Fri., May 14-17 May Training begins with dinner on Tuesday at 5 p.m., ends by 2 p.m. on Friday
***All new OAs MUST be available for ALL of May training, no exceptions.***
FOCUS Summer Orientation Dates:
Saturday, June 1 Move into Alumni Hall between 4-6 p.m.
Sat.-Sun., June 1-9 June OA Training (Full-time, day & evening)
Mon.-Wed., June 10-26 June FOCUS 2013
Thursday, June 27 Check out of your room by 10 a.m. unless you are working the Admission Visit Day.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! See you in August!
You are busy full-time, day & evening during June FOCUS dates. New OAs may NOT take summer session 1 classes. Returning OAs may only take a summer session 1 online class if pre-approved by the Assistant Dean for First-Year Students. You are done with FOCUS prior to the start of summer session 2 so you could choose to take classes then if you want to do so.
August Training, FOCUS and Fall Welcome Dates:
Wednesday, Aug. 21 Move into your residence hall between 7 & 9 p.m.; OA Pizza Party begins at 9 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 22 August OA Training, Preparation for Fall FOCUS and Fall Welcome
Friday, Aug. 23 Fall FOCUS session
Saturday, Aug. 24 New student move-in! Fall Welcome begins
Sat.-Mon., Aug. 24-26 Fall Welcome
Tuesday, Aug. 27 Classes begin
August 27-mid-Sept. Keep an eye on your OA group members throughout the first few weeks of the school year.