Participant Application: Chicanx/Latinx Youth Empowerment Conference 2017
The Chicanx/Latinx Youth Empowerment Conference (CLYEC) is a 3-day, 2-night event hosted by the UC Davis Student Recruitment & Retention Center's program Yik'al Kuyum (Mayan for "Origin of Light"), held at the University of California, Davis. CLYEC aims to empower youth to strive for higher education as well as promote cultural awareness through workshops, activities, motivational keynote speakers, and performers encompassing our culture. CLYEC is open to all high school students (no GPA requirement) who identify as Chicanx/Latinx. CLYEC is open to students of all socioeconomic statuses and genders who have the passion to grow and learn with an open mind about culture, social justice, and education in our community. Our mission is to serve the Chicanx/Latinx community and welcome any allies.
WHAT DOES THE "X" MEAN?
The purpose of using “x” in “Chicanx/Latinx” is to allow for the Chicano, Chicana, Latino, Latina community to be gender expansive, meaning it includes all those who identify and don’t identify within the gender spectrum. This can include, but is not limited to: trans and gender-queer folks.
This years theme is, "The Revolution Begins With Me". Throughout the conference we hope for students to understand the power of their identities, learn different forms of resistance and activism, and understand the importance of higher education. We acknowledge that the first revolution must be within oneself.
• WHO: Any high school student interested in culture and higher education grade levels 9th-12th
• WHAT: A 3-day empowerment conference where high school students participate in cultural, academic, and empowerment workshops, and establish mentorship bonds with college students.
• WHERE: University of California, Davis | Students will be staying at the Aggie Inn hotel, right next to campus.
• WHEN: Friday, January 27, 2017 5PM - Sunday, January 29, 2017 3PM
• HOW: The deadline for applications is Friday, December 16, 2016 at 11:59PM. We will notify you of your status through an email and/or phone call beginning Saturday, January 9th-10th.
**There is a lodging fee of $20. If you are unable to pay this fee, please contact us with a brief explanation to have your fee waived. We will accommodate those who request a fee waiver as best as we can on a first come, first served basis!**
Transportation: We are expecting your parents or guardians to bring you to UC Davis on Friday, January 27 at 5pm and pick you up on Sunday, January 29 at 3pm. WE DO NOT PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION. **Please let us know if transportation is a concern**
For more information (questions, concerns, or suggestions): Please contact us
Jonathan Martinez, Conference Co-Coordinator
Fabiola Camacho, Conference Co-Coordinator
The DEADLINE for applications is Friday, December 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM.
**The application will take 15-30 minutes to complete. There are 5 sections; be sure to complete all of them as best a possible.**
** If you wish to see this application in Spanish please go to this link
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of UC Davis.