|Google might become a cell phone carrier, U ready for the Wii-kend? Katy Perry and Rihanna beat up Pandora http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Darren Kitchen|
LOWER THIRD URL: hak5.org
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Monday November 19 2012|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
MailRoute, email filtering in the cloud for companies and resellers of any size. MailRoute offers live support and 1-click signup. For Free Postini Migration and 10% off the life of your account, visit mailroute.net, click the Signup button and enter the promo code TNT.
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Ford, featuring available SYNC®. Now, you can control your media player with simple voice commands.Enjoy your drive while you easily search and listen to your favorite songs. Check it out onthe 2012 Ford Focus and at Ford.com/technology.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Microsoft reported earlier this week that Halo 4 sold $220 million in its first 24 hours after launch. N00bs. Activision reports Call of Duty Black Ops II grossed $500 million in its first 24 hours marking the 4th consecutive year that Activision gets to claim the largest entertainment launch of the year. May the trash talking begin.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57550905-235/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-rakes-in-$500-million-in-first-24-hours/|
|sl||The WiiU looks like an early hit this holiday season, and we've got numbers to prove it. Gamestop says that it's taken 1.2M preorders for WiiU games and 500,000 consoles, working out to 2.4 games for each console. The 1.2M number is more than double the game preorders for the Wii, and the difference is likely due to increased third party support from the console. They have big fall titles like Assassin’s Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 on deck, but also original offerings like Ubisoft’s ZombiU||http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/11/16/wiiu-game-preorders-double-those-of-the-wii/|
|ia||Our long national nightmare may be soon over. The WSJ reports that Google is putting the "finishing touches" on its iOS maps app and the new app will include turn-by-turn navigation. The app has yet to be submitted to Apple's App Store.||http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/google-putting-finishing-touches-on-its-own-ios-maps-app/|
|tm||Tis the season. [[pause for co-hosts to incorrectly guess which season]] No no no come on y'all it's Apple TV rumor season! Yeah you know when Analyst Clause, in this case James Kisner of Jefferies and Co. visits all the good children of the Web and gives them hope of an imminent launch of AppleTV by leaving them rumors that at least one major North American multiple system operator is working to estimate how much additional capacity may be needed for a new Apple device on their broadband data network. Happy Apple TV rumor-mas everybody!!!||http://allthingsd.com/20121116/a-fresh-season-of-apple-television-rumors/|
|sl||Twitter has added the ability to share tweets via e-mail and the feature will be rolling out to all users in the coming weeks. “Of course, you can retweet any of these to your Twitter followers, but sometimes you want to share with another group, like your college roommates or your parents or a friend who isn’t yet on Twitter,” wrote Twitter engineer Stefan Flip in the post. Third-party Twitter programs such as Hootsuite already provide that function; so does the Twitter client the company bought last year, Tweetdeck.||http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/twitter-adds-e-mail-sharing/2012/11/16/1fba732c-2feb-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html|
|ia||According to the WSJ, Dish is in preliminary talks with several companies including Google to partner up on a new wireless service that would rival Verizon, AT&T and other carriers. Dish is still awaiting FCC approval to use its spectrum for cell service. One of the sources said the talks could lead to nothing, but we can dream, can't we?||http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/11/google-and-dish-network-allegedly-in-talks-for-new-wireless-service/|
|tm||10 year old game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has been yanked from Steam thanks to a copyright claim by Sony Music Entertainment. Seems the Fever 105 Radio station in the game plays Michael Jackson's "Wanna be Starting Something" without a proper license. If you own the game already on Steam you'll still get to re-download and play it, but no new sales are allowed until the matter is cleared up. No word on how or whether it would affect the upcoming Android and iOS release of the game.||http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-Vice-City-Longer-Steam-Due-RIAA-Copyright-Claim-49372.html|
|sl||US Judge Paul S. Grewal has ruled that both Apple and Samsung may add additional products to their lawsuit scheduled to begin hearings in 2014. What are these new products? the iPhone 5, Galaxy Note, and Galaxy S III. The suit is being fought in the US District Court of California in San Jose, the same court where Apple was awarded a $1.05 billion damage verdict against Samsung. Samsung in particular has been eyeing the iPHone 5 since it launched in September. Both company’s have “accused each other of copying designs and technology for mobile devices.”||http://www.macgasm.net/2012/11/16/judge-allows-apple-samsung-to-add-devices-to-smartphone-lawsuit/|
|tm||Cash, check or BitCoin? Many people long for the day when they can pay for more things with BitCoin. Well that day just got a little closer folks. WordPress will soon let you pay for upgrades to its blogging service in BitCoins. WordPress hopes this will make it easier for users worldwide to make payments.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57550845-93/wordpress-begins-accepting-bitcoin-for-service-upgrades/|
|ia||Facebook's announced new retail partners for its Facebook Gifts feature just before the holidays. Random House, Brookstone, and Fab are just some of the new partners and Facebook says it will add more retailers soon. Facebook Gifts will also allow you to gift subscriptions to Rdio, Pandora and Hulu Plus.||http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2012/11/16/facebook-expands-gifting-by-rolling-out-gift-button-to-millions-more-profile-pages-adding-over-a-hundred-new-partners/|
|- The Wall Street Journal reports Google has held talks with Dish Network to build a wireless service - would put it as a competitor to ATT and Vz|
- Talks are not advanced
- Google is one of several companies Dish is looking to partner with
- Dish chairman Charlie Ergen declined to comment on Google specificially and said it would be easier for Dish to partner w/ a company that has wireless towers and related infrastructure
- Google just launched its fiber service this week in KC
- Dish is still awaiting regulatory approval to use its spectrum to launch a wireless service
- Dish has asked the Federal Communications Commission to allow it to use the spectrum for a solely ground-based cellphone network. The FCC denied Dish a needed waiver last March, opting for a yearlong deliberation process that has yet to reach completion.
- Partner hunt shows good faith that Dish would create a wireless network, not just flip the spectrum said "some people familiar with the discussions"
Q: Would the partnership make sense for Google? Why enter into that market?
|tm||Analysts chime in on Wii U's mid-term forecast||http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/181600/Analysts_chime_in_on_Wii_Us_midterm_forecast.php#.UKZZc4d2y1v|
|Wii U's Nintendo TVii, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and Netflix pushed to December||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/nintendo-tvii-delayed/|
|Nintendo's TVii for Wii U to launch in December with video on demand, TV remote capabilities||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3653518/nintendo-tvii-wii-u-app-december-availability|
|The Wii U is already sold out online and hard to get elsewhere|
- Launches in stores this Sunday
John Taylor of Arcadi says scarcity will stoke demand through spring, May is critical point
- Wedbush's Michael Pachter: "The Wii U will quickly lose positive momentum from its launch due primarily to pricing,"
- Ubisoft the only partner to fully embrace the platform, few Wii U specific titles
- Best bets afor differentiation are a big game exclusive, advantage of tablet in gameplay, or better alternative uses (TVii)
- TVii launching in December with Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon coming in the next few weeks
- Integrates with TiVo allows posting to Twitter, Facebook and Miiverse
|GameStop estimates 1.2 million pre-orders for the Wii U at GameStop, double the Wii|
|sl||Katy Perry, Rihanna sign ad attacking Pandora for copyright proposal||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/katy-perry-rihanna-sign-ad-attacking-pandora-for-copyright-proposal/|
|- over 100 popular and relevant musicians (katy perry, rihanna, TOTO, The Doors, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) have signed an open letter attacking the Internet Radio Fairness Act. reminder this legislation set royalties for online music streaming services the same as rates for satellite music services - 10%. pandora right now, 50%. terrestrial radio, 0%|
- Pandora-backed proposal is sponsored by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), backed by public interest groups Electronic Frontier Foundation and Public Knowledge.
- royalty rates for internet streaming set every 5 years by a three-judge panel, based on willing buyers and sellers in an open market. without competitive market, judges err on high side.
- in contrast for satellite and cable radio, the judges set prices to give the labels and artists a 'fair return' and the music service a 'fair income.'" pandora wants this.
- what recording co's want: legislation sponsored by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) would equalize royalty rules by extending the "willing buyer and a willing seller" standard to the satellite and terrestrial radio markets. national assn. of broadcasters is not pleased
|Founder Tim Westergren to The Hill: "It's kind of a Jekyll-and-Hyde business," Westergren told The Hill. "On the growth side, it's been a wonderful story. Profitability is a different story for us. We're really struggling to make that happen."|
|ia||Google modifies Android SDK to battle platform fragmentation||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57550824-93/google-modifies-android-sdk-to-battle-platform-fragmentation/|
|Google to devs: Fragmenting Android is AGAINST THE RULES||http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/15/android_sdk_fragmentation_license_change/|
|- Google modified its Android SDK this week, first significant addition since the previous update in 2009. Adds an anti-fragmentation clause:|
- Section 3.4 of Google's new terms: "You agree that you will not take any actions that may cause or result in the fragmentation of Android, including but not limited to distributing, participating in the creation of, or promoting in any way a software development kit derived from the SDK."
- The Register tried to make sense of the new rule and looked at the case of an Acer-built handset which ran Alibaba's Alyun software which wasn't fully compatible w/Android, but used Android runtime, frameworks and dev tools.
Q: Can you tell what this section is for? Developers don't seem to be for fragmentation - is the Register reading this right?
|sl||Lytro to get Perspective Shift and Living Filters for more focus-shifting fun||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/lytro-update-perspective-shift-living-filters/||VIDEO 3:17|
|- software update for Lytro Desktop from cam that lets you set focus after photo is taken. 2 new features, Perspective Shift and Living Filters|
- Perspective Shift lets you change the POV of the shot after it's taken, putting entire photo to be in focus. click-and-drag the photo in any direction to get 3D effect. works with accelerometer on tablets. share the images to Facebook or Twitter from the Lytro website
- Living Filters: click to filter certain parts of a photo with one of nine different effects: Carnival, Crayon, Glass, Line Art, Mosaic, Blur+, Pop, Film Noir and 8-Track.
- Lytro tells engadget they'll work on more robust photoshop-like features on their own, & welcome a robust third-party ecosystem as well.
|tm||Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs biopic to consist of just three scenes||http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/sorkin-penned-steve-jobs-biopic-to-consist-of-just-three-scenes/|
|Aaron Sorkin interview at The Daily Beast's Hero Summitin Washington DC Thursday|
- Sorkin writing movie based on Walter Isaacson book
- "This entire movie is going to be three scenes, and three scenes only, that all take place in real time,"
- Each scene will last 30 minutes for the characters and the audience
- "Each of these scenes is going to take place backstage before a product launch—the first one being the Mac, the second one being NeXT, and the third one being the iPod."
- Wants to end the film with the voiceover from Apple's Think Different ads
- Jobs asked Sorkin to write a Pixar movie. Sporkin said he couldn't make an inanimate object talk Jobs said once you make them talk they won't be inanimate anymore.
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|Google helps you kill time with 100,000 Stars experiment||http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412197,00.asp|
|Sunday Nintendo Wii U arrives in the US - Nintendo is set to sell the first Wii U in the U.S. at the Rockefeller store at midnight on Saturday|
|And Monday the 16th PlayStation Vita launches PS Plus service|
|Voicemail||Sound Cloud :)|
|Some news on Amazon Prime|
[Says he called Amazon and they told him the $7.99 Prime monthly plan is over]
|As a licensed charter party carrier in California let me provide a perspective on why PUC is against Uber, Lyft and Sidecar.|
The short of it is, if a company's main business is arrange transportation of people for pay (but not taxi), they are a charter party carrier and thus subject to PUC regulations.
Uber acts as a dispatch service, but the individual vehicles appear to be privately owned and operated. and individually licensed. PUC is slightly outdated as it does not recognize a pure-dispatch service such as Uber, i.e. So it just needs to create a new permit category: the fleet-less carrier that subcharters EVERYTHING.
Lyft and Sidecar, on the other hand, are in much deeper trouble, as they engage common NON-COMMERCIAL drivers to perform commercial activity, i.e. carry people for pay, without that person owning a commercial driver's license...
PUC is unlikely to allow Lyft or Sidecar to survive, for the very simple reason that pay for ride is under their jurisdiction. They can't allow non-commercial driver to do commercial driver's jobs: carry people (or goods) for money.
|<-- Edited, full email in comment|
Interesting discussion in episode #629 regarding the possible sale of AMD. The one company you didn't list was... Google!
Owning the processor would help their massive data center farm (where Google is known for designing their own servers), giving them a leg up on the Amazons of the world. Also, owning a processor / graphics company could give them an edge in the smart phone business, where they could design-in magic stuff that would make Android work better, something I expect Apple is already doing with IOS and their own processor line.
Just a thought,
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Best of submissions||http://twit.tv/bestof|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Darren Kitchen|
-Does your company need Maximum No Spam? Or are you migrating from
Postini to another email filtering service? Then check out MailRoute. -
MailRoute offers live support and an easy 1-click sign-up process. Migrate from
Postini to MailRoute today and receive email protection services free of
charge for the remainder of your Postini contract. And MailRoute will even
match your current Postini pricing! It’s a no-brainer. Switch from Postini to
MailRoute for free.
-Customer Support is key. When you call or email MailRoute, a service ticket is
automatically generated and you will receive a call back within the hour, 24/7.
-MailRoute is a hosted email filtering service in the cloud for businesses of any
size. They love the little guy – they’ll even handle single-user accounts. There's
no easier way to filter your email. You don't need any hardware or software, you
just point your email to MailRoute, they filter it, and deliver the clean email to your
mail server. -Because MailRoute is in the cloud it eliminates the need of having a
dedicated server for SPAM filtering.
-Set it and Forget it! All that's necessary is to sign up with MailRoute, and then
make a change to your DNS MX records to start the flow of clean email. You
don't even have to have to own or manage your own email server - as long as
you have your own domain, MailRoute can filter your email and send it off to your
server, wherever it may be.
-MailRoute’s new administrative interface gives you direct control over every
aspect of your service – from setting the sensitivity of the spam filters, to adding
domain or users, and managing whitelist and blacklists. End users can manage
their own settings, and administrators can control them all.
Over the last 12 months we blocked over 235,000 spam messages for Tom
Merritt. That was 99.7% of Tom's total mail volume! We blocked nearly 600,000 messages for Leo in the last 12 months. That's over 12 million messages blocked
by MailRoute for Leo since he started using the service.
MailRoute has Disaster Recovery Service (Included with MailRoute): Holds mail
(up to 15 days, no file limit) if server goes down.
Try it for free. Visit mailroute.net, click the Signup button and enter the promo
code TNT to start your 15 day free trial and to get 10% off for the life of your
No credit card required for the free trial. That’s mailroute.net, click the Signup
button and enter the promo code: TNT
|This episode is brought to you by:|
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
|This episode of [show] is brought to you by Ford, featuring SYNC’s versatile |
entertainment features, such as:
• Browsing – Browse your music collection by genre, album, artist, playlist or song title,
all using voice commands.
• Playlists – SYNC allows voice-activated control of your media player – it’ll even play
a list of music you're in the mood for, with the “Play similar music” voice command.
• Listen to your entertainment on most any device – Voice-control music, no matter
how it’s stored . . . on your smartphone (via Bluetooth® streaming), USB drive, or
MP3 player (iPod®, iPad® etc.)
• iTunes® Tagging – You don't have to worry about remembering the name of that
song you just heard. Available SYNC with MyFord Touch® and HD Radio™
technology with iTunes® Tagging . . . that lets you tag a song you like, transfer that
info to your iPod®, and purchase the song directly from the iTunes® store at a later
Best of all, Ford offers SYNC on every 2012/2013 Ford vehicle sold in the USA,
including the 2012 Ford Focus.
You can learn more about this and other technologies Ford is bringing to its vehicles at