|Sinofsky denies his fiefdom, Bradley bashes Microsoft, Facebook's just trying to help a user out http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Dan Patterson |
LOWER THIRD URL: twitter.com/danpatterson
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Monday November 19 2012|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
MailRoute, email filtering in the cloud for companies and resellers of any size. MailRoute offers live support and 1-click signup. For Free Postini Migration and 10% off the life of your account, visit mailroute.net, click the Signup button and enter the promo code TNT.
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Ford, featuring available SYNC®. Now, you can control your media player with simple voice commands.Enjoy your drive while you easily search and listen to your favorite songs. Check it out onthe 2012 Ford Focus and at Ford.com/technology.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Steven Sinofsky loves to write explanation on the Internet. he loved it when he was blogging endlessly about Windows 8, and nothing has changed now that he's left Microsoft. In comments on retired Microsoft engineer Hal Berenson's blog, Sinofsky denies that he pushed to take over Windows Phone and said it's "far better to collaborate". Steve Ballmer had only nice things to say about Sinofsky at a talk with LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman at the Churchill Club.||http://www.slashgear.com/sinofsky-i-wasnt-building-a-windows-and-windows-phone-fiefdom-15257185/|
|Ballmer praises Sinofsky, promises aggressive innovation||http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57550103-75/ballmer-praises-sinofsky-promises-aggressive-innovation/|
|sl||Steve Ballmer had some choice descriptions of Microsoft's 2 biggest mobile rivals in that same interview last night. He called the Android ecosystem “wild,” “uncontrolled” and susceptible to malware, and called the Apple ecosystem “high-priced” and “highly controlled,” and that iPhones cost upwards of $1,000 internationally. Ballmer says Microsoft has done products right & is working very closely with developers, unlike his counterparts at Apple and Google. lolwut?||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/14/steve-ballmer-android-ecosystem-is-wild-and-uncontrolled-apple-is-high-priced-and-highly-controlled/|
|Microsoft CEO Ballmer suggests more hardware coming||http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/15/microsoft-ballmer-idUSL1E8MEDEW20121115|
|ia||The tablets are in the mail. The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 is shipping starting today - but just the Wi-Fi only model. The LTE version is coming next week on November 20th. Go forth and enjoy your Amazon content on that glorious 1920 x 1200 display.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/kindle-fire-hd-8-9-ships-today-4g-version-to-follow-next-week/|
|tm||Israel is using Internet services like Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr to tell its side of the current conflict with Hamas in Gaza. YouTube briefly removed a video posted by Israeli military showing a pinpoint strike that killed Hamas military leader Ahmed al-Jabari. A YouTube spokeswoman told All Things D the video was removed mistakenly and was quickly reinstated.||http://allthingsd.com/20121115/youtube-blocks-israeli-hamas-assassination-video/|
|sl||Two weeks ago a NASA employee's laptop containing "personally identifiable information" was stolen from inside a car, and now there's some worry that agency's workers are at risk of identity theft. The laptop's hard drive wasn't encrypted, and neither were sensitive documents within. It's not the 1st time this sort of thing has happened, either. NASA Inspector General Paul Martin told Congress earlier this year that an estimated 48 laptops and mobile devices had been lost or stolen from April 2009 and April 2011, and only 1% of such agency devices had encryption.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3646970/nasa-encryption-demanded-after-laptop-theft|
|ia||Texas Instruments announced it's cutting 1700 jobs worldwide to save money. The move is part of a larger plan for TI to leave the smartphone processor manufacturing business. The company says it will focus its processors on embedded markets and that requires fewer resources.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3646450/texas-instruments-1700-job-cuts|
|tm||Todd Bradley had some blunt things to say about Microsoft's Surface RT tablet when explaining HP's strategy in personal computing for the coming year. Bradley, Executive Vice President of HP’s Printing and Personal Systems organization, told CITEWorld's Matt Rosoff he considered the Surface "hardly compeition" and called it "slow and a little kludgey". HP intends to focus on Enterprise tablets until next year.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57550214-75/hp-pc-chief-surface-is-kludgey-not-really-competition/|
|sl||Samsung's got its own version of a Yoga! The company may start mass production of bendable smartphones that kick, and stretch! One of its subsidiaries, Samsung Display, is in the last stage of development of flexible AMOLED displays, which are expected to be released in the first half of next year, a person familiar with the situation revealed to the Wall Street Journal. Bendable displays are practically unbreakable and opens the door to creation all types of news shapes of smartphone.||http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20121115040955_Samsung_Display_to_Start_Making_Bendable_Displays_in_First_Half_of_2013.html|
|tm||Faster WiFi is on the horizon my friends. A group from NC State University will release a paper shortly detailing a way to boost WiFi data throughput by up to 700 percent. The technology, called WiFox, has already made their local test network 4 times faster. The trick is assigning priority access to prevent traffic jams. Lead author Arpit Gupta says WiFox could work on existing WiFi networks as a software update.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/nc-state-university-wifox/|
|ia||If you've got an LG G2 Smart Tv, you'll have OnLive built into your Google TV experience. That means you'll be able to play games on your LG without needing a separate box. The LG G2 is available in two versions - a $1700 47-inch TV and a $2300 54.6-inch model. OnLive will also come preinstalled on all new LG Google TVs.||http://www.androidcentral.com/onlive-added-lg-smart-tv-google-tv|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Dan Patterson |
LOWER THIRD URL: twitter.com/danpatterson
|ia||Sinofsky: I wasn’t building a Windows and Windows Phone fiefdom||http://www.slashgear.com/sinofsky-i-wasnt-building-a-windows-and-windows-phone-fiefdom-15257185/|
|Sinofsky's reply on a blog||http://hal2020.com/2012/11/13/live-long-and-prosper-stevesi/#comment-3726|
|- Steven Sinofsky posted a comment on former MS engineer Hal Berenson's blog|
What Hal said:
- Hal Berenson said in a blog post titled "Live Long and Prosper SteveSi," "Steven had apparently lost recent battles to bring both Windows Phone and the Developer Division under his control."
- Berenson says that he thinks Sinofsky didn't get control of WP and the Developer Division b/c "is that most of the top 2-3 levels of leadership in those organizations would have quit."
What Sinfosky said:
- He denies initiating any discussions to bring together WP and Dev Division and said no one approached him to manage them as a part of Win 7 or 8
- Sinofsky says that the current state of organization is a "practical working model" and he was for collaboration within the organization rather than disrupting it "unless it is on a product cycle boundary and far better to plan and execute together…"
|Q: The murmurs say power struggle, Sinofsky denies it and even publicly commented. What do you think the real story is?|
|tm||HP's Todd Bradley: Surface is no competition to us||http://www.citeworld.com/business/21072/todd-bradley|
|Surface tablet is most popular Windows 8 device||http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57550259/surface-tablet-is-most-popular-windows-8-device/|
|Interview with IDG Enterprise, Executive Vice President of HP’s Printing and Personal Systems organization Todd Bradley called it 'hardly competition' because of limited distribution.|
- "It tends to be slow and a little kludgey as you use it .... It's expensive. Holistically, the press has made a bigger deal out of Surface than what the world has chosen to believe."
- What has HP got? No consumer tablets ont he market right now. ONe Enterprise-level ElitePad900
- "We're not entering the consumer tablet fray any time soon. We'll be doing something next year, but you won't see a consumer tablet from HP before Christmas. You'll see convertibles that are focused on how you use the device, keyboard, clamshell."
- Bradley was the CEO of Palm
- On death of the PC: "You guys have been writing about how the PC has been dead for 20 years. You and your colleagues have. Desktops are going to morph depending on where you are. All-in-ones in China, are clearly a significant piece of the Chinese market. The usage models as you look at these emerging markets, as excited as we are going to get about ultra-mobile, the billion people in rural China still want PCs that have DVD players in them. it's all about usage."
|"Surface is already the most popular single device running Windows 8/RT with 11 percent of the overall 'market,'" according to AdDuplex, a Windows ad-serving business. -- HP was the largest brand among Windows 8/RT devices, with 17 percent. Microsoft was second with 11 percent (cited above), Dell was third with 10 percent, and Acer fourth with 9 percent.|
|sl||Facebook's New Pages Feed Corrals Brands -- And Gives Brand-Fatigued Users Some Space||http://readwrite.com/2012/11/15/new-separate-facebook-page-feeds-helps-you-separate-business-from-pleasure|
|Facebook test makes comments on page posts more like web plugin, including in-line replies and ranking algorithm||http://www.insidefacebook.com/2012/11/12/facebook-test-makes-comments-on-page-posts-more-like-web-plugin-including-in-line-replies-and-ranking-algorithm/|
|- yesterday mark cuban said FB is screwing over brands. now FB rolled out pages-only feed|
- "The purpose of this whole News Feed algorithm change was really because we saw the incidents of people hiding stories ... or marking stories as spam has gone up, and we really want to keep News Feed as engaging a place as possible for people," FB spokesperson
- brands not out of main feed - sarah's brands showing up if high engagement
|july polls: poll of almost 2k FB users in the U.K. 4% of respondents reported liking multiple Facebook pages, but still hiding them from their News Feed. 53% said FB "too commercial," sponsored posts, brand pages and ads |
- Reuters/Ipsos poll: 34% FB users spending less time on FB than 6 mo ago. 4 out of 5 ppl said never wanted to buy a product/service b/c of FB brand page, post or advertisement.
- FB also testing news comments - reply to specific comments, most engaging comments up top.
similar to Facebook’s comments plugin intro'd in March 2011.
|tm||AllThingsDC: Is There Now “Blood in the Water” for Google Versus FTC?||http://allthingsd.com/20121114/allthingsdc-is-there-now-blood-in-the-water-for-google-versus-ftc/|
|Liz Gannes article at ATD suggests Google may be headed for their Microsoft moment soon|
-Person familiar with the FTC probe: “There’s now blood in the water. All these people who have wanted to kill Google, this is their chance. They will never have a better opportunity than the next 30 days.”
- FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz told Google Friday vote in the next couple of weeks
- Beth Wilkinson (McVeigh case) brought in as litigator
1. Exclusive search deals on Web portals, publications and phones (remedy: no more exclusives)
2. Exclusivity in search advertising APIs - can't share information bvetween ad systems
3. Ye olde discrimination and scraping of vertical competitors (remedy: separate verticals from core search)
4. Android policies on search exclusivity in partner phones (remedy: separate advertising from other products)
|ia||Flipboard teams up with Apple to launch new iBookstore-powered “Books” section in its iOS apps||http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/15/apple-and-flipboard-team-up-for-new-ibookstore-powered-books-section-to-help-you-discover-great-stories/|
|- Flipboard and Apple team up|
- There will be a new Flipboard Books category available for iPhone and iPad users that will show off books from the iBookstore
- Flipboard told TheNextWeb that "it's like browsing a bookstore in Flipboard" with an emphasis on discovery
- Flipboard’s book listings only include the publisher’s description, link, and cover art, which takes you directly to the iBookstore.
Q: Is this kind of partnership and presentation going to get people to buy iBooks? What do we think of this move on Apple's part?
|sl||California Regulator Issues Citations And Fines Against Transportation Services Uber, Lyft, And SideCar||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/14/cpuc-uber-lyft-sidecar-citations/|
|- The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) is going after ride-sharing services Lyft and SideCar, & car and taxi service Uber.|
- SideCar and Lyft have have each received fines of $20k for operating unlicensed charter-party businesses by the CPUC enforcement division. they say they aren't charter-party biz - no fleet, no employed drivers, merely connect drivers with rides, handle payment infrastructure
- Sidecar CEO tells TC: this is like when the internet didn't fall into existing phone or newspaper regulations. “The ability to know your location with a supercomputer in your pocket… is utterly transforming transportation,”
- Sidecar has hired a new head of policy, David Phillips, former AOL lawyer
- Lyft co-founder John Zimmer says they beat CPUC's driver requirements for charter-party carriers: background checks, criminal record checks, DMV records, in-person interviews, driver training.
|UBER- partners with charter-party carriers. drivers use Uber to collect fares based on the time and distance traveled, which Uber monitors through GPS location data.|
- Uber thinks CPUC regulation is too much: ceo travis kalanick says Every transportation provider that Uber partners with in California is properly licensed with the PUC (public utilities comm). CA state requirements have been met: insurance, safety,equipment inspection, drug and alcohol testing
- Yesterday Corte Madera-based attorney Gary Oswald filed a class action lawsuit against Uber. Suit says San Francisco operations are illegal, says Uber is allegedly “acting as a taxicab company while sometimes denying this fact in order to avoid all regulations governing taxicab companies.”
- Uber's calling the lawsuit “baseless,” and claiming that it’s willing to defend itself in court.
- changed to "uber" from "ubercab" in 2010 after cease-and-desist letters from the San Francisco Metro Transit Authority & the Public Utilities Commission of CA
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|The Dole-Kemp 1996 website is still live, and amazingly slow||http://www.avclub.com/articles/travel-back-in-internet-time-to-show-your-support,88737/|
|(run by 4President.org)||http://www.4president.org/|
|tomorrow AT&T to start selling the ASUS VivoTab RT for $500, keyboard dock included for a limited time|
|and tomorrow, HTC's One X+ and One VX set to arrive on AT&T|
|also tomorrow, Desert Bus For Hope 6 starts - Started in 2007 by internet sketch comedy group LoadingReadyRun, is video game play to benefit charity. over the past six years Desert Bus has raised more than $825,000 for Child's Play, making it the most successful charity gaming marathon in the world.|
|Voicemail||Sound Cloud :)|
|Brian has an issue with Facebook and advertisers||http://soundcloud.com/tnt_voicemail/ryan-has-an-issue-with|
Following on from your discussion about Facebook charging to deliver brand posts to users timeline, the big issue here is that they are double dipping.
In the past couple of months I spent around $800 on Facebook ads to gain about 2700 new likes on one of my pages. I now have to pay again to get those followers to see my posts.
This is unfair.
If I buy ads that lead to likes then those likes should automatically get my posts because I've already paid.
If the likes are organic then fair enough paying to reach them.
It's one or the other but not both.
Love the show!
Steve Baile (Australia)
|There was a recent story about MS working on a voice language translator and then a question about who would really need this?|
While watching a foreign YouTube video this morning, it struck me. Video services, movies, and tv could all use the tech to automatically translate or dub video or audio. Especially since I think the article said that the process tries to emulate the speakers voice.
Thanks and love the show,
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Darren Kitchen|
-Does your company need Maximum No Spam? Or are you migrating from
Postini to another email filtering service? Then check out MailRoute. -
MailRoute offers live support and an easy 1-click sign-up process. Migrate from
Postini to MailRoute today and receive email protection services free of
charge for the remainder of your Postini contract. And MailRoute will even
match your current Postini pricing! It’s a no-brainer. Switch from Postini to
MailRoute for free.
-Customer Support is key. When you call or email MailRoute, a service ticket is
automatically generated and you will receive a call back within the hour, 24/7.
-MailRoute is a hosted email filtering service in the cloud for businesses of any
size. They love the little guy – they’ll even handle single-user accounts. There's
no easier way to filter your email. You don't need any hardware or software, you
just point your email to MailRoute, they filter it, and deliver the clean email to your
mail server. -Because MailRoute is in the cloud it eliminates the need of having a
dedicated server for SPAM filtering.
-Set it and Forget it! All that's necessary is to sign up with MailRoute, and then
make a change to your DNS MX records to start the flow of clean email. You
don't even have to have to own or manage your own email server - as long as
you have your own domain, MailRoute can filter your email and send it off to your
server, wherever it may be.
-MailRoute’s new administrative interface gives you direct control over every
aspect of your service – from setting the sensitivity of the spam filters, to adding
domain or users, and managing whitelist and blacklists. End users can manage
their own settings, and administrators can control them all.
Over the last 12 months we blocked over 235,000 spam messages for Tom
Merritt. That was 99.7% of Tom's total mail volume! We blocked nearly 600,000 messages for Leo in the last 12 months. That's over 12 million messages blocked
by MailRoute for Leo since he started using the service.
MailRoute has Disaster Recovery Service (Included with MailRoute): Holds mail
(up to 15 days, no file limit) if server goes down.
Try it for free. Visit mailroute.net, click the Signup button and enter the promo
code TNT to start your 15 day free trial and to get 10% off for the life of your
No credit card required for the free trial. That’s mailroute.net, click the Signup
button and enter the promo code: TNT
|This episode is brought to you by:|
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
|This episode of [show] is brought to you by Ford, featuring SYNC’s versatile |
entertainment features, such as:
• Browsing – Browse your music collection by genre, album, artist, playlist or song title,
all using voice commands.
• Playlists – SYNC allows voice-activated control of your media player – it’ll even play
a list of music you're in the mood for, with the “Play similar music” voice command.
• Listen to your entertainment on most any device – Voice-control music, no matter
how it’s stored . . . on your smartphone (via Bluetooth® streaming), USB drive, or
MP3 player (iPod®, iPad® etc.)
• iTunes® Tagging – You don't have to worry about remembering the name of that
song you just heard. Available SYNC with MyFord Touch® and HD Radio™
technology with iTunes® Tagging . . . that lets you tag a song you like, transfer that
info to your iPod®, and purchase the song directly from the iTunes® store at a later
Best of all, Ford offers SYNC on every 2012/2013 Ford vehicle sold in the USA,
including the 2012 Ford Focus.
You can learn more about this and other technologies Ford is bringing to its vehicles at