|Apple announces new stuff, MIT solves mobile bandwidth, Iceland's crowdsourced constitution http://live.twit.tv/|
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Monday November 19 2012|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
American Express Bank, FSB, offering a High Yield Savings Account - - the perfect complement to help you reach your savings goals. To learn more, and open an account online, visit PersonalSavings.com/OnlineSavings. Member FDIC.
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
GoToMeeting with HD Faces, by Citrix - The powerfully simple way to meet and collaborate with colleagues and clients from anywhere. You can share the same screen and see each other face to face with HD Video conferencing – even from an iPad. Sign up for your 30-day FREE trial today. Visit GoToMeeting.com, click on the Try It Free button, and use promo code TNT.
Gazelle, the fast and simple way to sell your iPhone, iPad, Macbook, or Android Smartphones. Find out what your gadget is worth and get cash to upgrade to the latest iPhone at Gazelle.com.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|Icelanders approve their crowdsourced constitution||VIDEO|
|tm||Apple announced new iPads. The iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch display And a new retina iPad with an A6X processor and the new lightning connector. Apple also unveiled a 13-inch MacBook Pro retina, a new thinner iMac, new Mac Minis and upgraded iBook reader. The new iPads will be available for pre-order Friday and WiFi versions ship Nov. 2.||http://allthingsd.com/20121023/apples-fall-bounty-a-smaller-ipad-a-13-inch-macbook-pro-and-itunes-11/|
|sl||Microsoft has announced it'll offer a 250GB Xbox 360 for $99 - or $149 with Kinect - when you sign up for an Xbox Live Gold account for two years at $14.99 per month. The two models will join the original 4GB with Kinect option, which stay firm at $99. You might remember the $99 Xbox pilot program back in July, when the offer was available in 16 official Microsoft stores. Now, a holding page invites users to "check back later to see a full list of participating retailers." Maybe a holiday season surprise?||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3542196/xbox-360-250gb-two-year-contract-subsidy|
|ia||Remember that rubber-banding patent Apple had? FOSS Patents noticed that the US Patent and Trademark Office has tentatively invalidated all 20 claims included in Apple's "rubber-banding" patent. The tentative nature of the invalidation means that the PTO's decision is not final. Apple claimed that Samsung had infringed on that patent and it was included in Apple's big victory against Samsung earlier this year. Samsung has filed a motion with Judge Lucy Koh.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57537912-37/uspto-invalidates-apple-patent-used-in-samsung-victory/|
|tm||Yahoo announced earnings essentially in line with expectations with operating income of $177 million in their third straight quarter of revenue growth. It was Marissa Mayer's first full quarter as CEO and she spoke in the earnings call about changing Yahoo to a focused coherent mobile strategy.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3541080/marissa-mayer-yahoo-mobile-strategy|
|sl||Remember yesterday's news that Samsung would pull out of LCD manufacturing for Apple devices by early next year? Samsung tells CNET that story, first reported by Korea Times and citing a "senior industry official" that the story is 100 % false. “Samsung Display has never tried to cut the supply for LCD panels to Apple,” a spokesman said, adding that Samsung was asking Korea Times to revise its story.||http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2012/10/23/samsung-denies-report-of-terminating-lcd-shipments-to-apple/|
|ia||Microsoft's new Office Web Apps are officially integrated into SkyDrive. The apps have been available since July as a preview, but were finalized yesterday. In more Office news, Microsoft unveiled pricing for Office 365 University. Schools can pay $1.67 per month or $80 over four years. Office 365 University will include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and Publisher. The suite will be available in Q1 of 2013.||http://blogs.office.com/b/officewebapps/archive/2012/10/22/updated-office-web-apps-now-available-to-all.aspx|
|Microsoft Unveils Pricing for Office 365 University||http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411263,00.asp|
|tm||Nokia announced the Lumia 510 with a 4-inch display, running Windows 7.5 and selling in 4 colors. It will come to Asia-Pacific and South American markets next month starting with China and India. These markets are critical for Nokia to regain its momentum. The Lumia 510 will sell at an unsubsidized price of $199 US.||http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-23/nokia-unveils-199-lumia-smartphone-for-emerging-markets.html|
|sl||The FTC has released a set of guidelines for companies using facial recognition technologies. Organizations should design their services with consumer privacy in mind, says the FTC. They should develop reasonable security protections for the information they collect, together with sound methods for determining when to keep information and when to get rid of it. However, J Thomas Rosch, one of the 5 commissioners, says "There is nothing to establish that this misconduct has occurred or even that it is likely to occur in the near future. It is at least premature for anyone, much less the Commission, to suggest to businesses that they should adopt as 'best practices' safeguards that may be costly and inefficient against misconduct that may never occur."||http://www.tgdaily.com/software-features/67029-ftc-issues-guidelines-for-facial-recognition|
|tm||The US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency may be best known these days in tech circles for seizing domain names. However the agency just dealt a blow to RIM announcign it will end its contract for BlackBerrys in favor of the iPhone. The agency intends to buy iPhone for more than 17,600 employees because RIM "can no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency."||http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/22/us-blackberry-iphone-idUSBRE89L0YW20121022|
|ia||Yesterday people were freaking out because there was an Amazon Web Services outage. The service interruption affected Imgur and Reddit causing many of us to wonder where we could see cat pictures. On the technical side, Amazon's Elastic Block Store went down - that is a part of Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, which is something lots of sites use to handle bandwidth demands.||http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/amazon-web-services-outage-once-again-shows-reality-behind-the-cloud/|
|AMD uncloaks 4GHz-and-up FX Series 'enthusiast' chippery||http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/23/amd_fx_series_processors_unveiled/|
|tm||Apple announces new iPads|
|Apple confirms it will stream event via Apple.com||http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/10/23/good-news-apples-special-event-will-also-be-live-streamed-on-its-website/|
|Apple Special Event||http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2012/|
|new iBooks |
- Continuous scrolling, whispersync-like function, 40 languages
Mac Book Pro
New iBooks author
- For making textbooks, new templates, update graphs, free download today
- 13-inch MacBook Pro, .75-inch thick, 3.57 pounds, 2560 x1600, IPS, up to 768GB storage
- "This is a great new MacBook Pro. It starts at 8GB of RAM and 128GB of flash storage for $1699. 2.5GHz CPU shipping today
- USB 3, keep FireWire, up to Quad i7 $999, Starts $599 2.3GHz 4GB RAM Two 1TB shipping today.
- Thinner. Thinner bezel. 27-inch and 21.5-inch, Up to 3TB of storage, Core i5 or i7...Fusion Drive 128GB flash with 1 or 3 TB HDD. ONe logical drive. 2.7GHz quad-core i5, 8GB RAM 1TB Hard drive.Base price $1299 November 27-inch 2.9 GHz 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD$1799 starts shipping December.
-A6X, Camera upgrde, LTE-Expanded, Sprint gets it, Lightning connector
- Starts at $499, cellular $629
- iPad Mini, new design, 7.2mm thick, .68 $329, lbs. black and white, 7.9-inch, 1024 x 768, A5, two cameras, 5 MP back, LTE, iPad Mini colors, $329, pre-orders start Friday, Shipping Nov. 2, cellular versions two weeks later
- iPad 2 $399
|ia||Apple announces more than new iPads|
|sl||Icelanders approve their crowdsourced constitution||http://gigaom.com/europe/icelanders-approve-their-crowdsourced-constitution/|
|- Iceland let the general populace participate in the drafting of its new constitution – via social media|
- Saturday the country held a referendum asking voters 6 questions about the draft. 1st q: should we use it as the basis for new constitution. 66% voted yes. It's easy to participate!
BACK STORY: Iceland’s banking system collapsed during financial crisis, country’s government imploded
- what came out of that: Modern Media Initiative (now the International Modern Media Institute), a Wikileaks-inspired free speech drive – Iceland should be a haven for free speech by inviting media organizations from around the world to host their sites in Iceland’s green data centers and enjoy the country’s strong new protections for whistleblowers, etc
- CROWDSOURCING: Iceland’s old constitution was based on Denmark's,25 citizens were brought into into a Constitutional Council to help create a new one. council took the ideas raised online by their fellow citizens, delivered the resulting draft in July 2011. almost half of Iceland’s 235,000 eligible voters took part in the referendum, like the approach
- non-binding, parliament decides if it will listen. constitution is supposed to be finalized before the next election, in the spring of 2013. it's all public though, works in finland
|sl||The 5 Big New Ways Facebook Laid The Groundwork For Making Money During Q3 2012||http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/23/facebook-q3-2012/|
|- FB earnings are out today. |
- this year, FB has shifted products to mobile. no longer porting from web.
- stock dipped under $20 after IPO $38.
- 5 ways FB is turning around:
1. Gifts - Sept launch, mobile/web. US only. who's using this?
2. mobile ad network. - FB is the middleman for existing ad networks because of their rich data on us
3. allow developers to pay to inject “Install Now” ads into the mobile news feed. name, icon, description, Facebook App Center rating, and friends who use them. link to App Store or Google Play market. last week all devs got this feature
4. FB Exchange - FBX lets advertisers target their ads on Facebook to users who’ve recently visited specific websites. travel company could target users who viewed but didn’t buy a flight to hawaii with ads promoting that same flight.
5. Sponsored results - businesses pay to have their Page, app, or other Facebook property appear above organic results when users search for a specific property. For example, gaming company Playdom currently pays to show its game Marvel: Avengers Alliance at the top of typeahead results when people search for “Mafia Wars”, a game by its competitor Zynga.
|- Facebook VP of corporate development Vaughn Smith said at a conference last week, “It’s funny to reflect back that in the first quarter of this year we had no ads on our mobile product.”|
- Facebook’s earnings probably not impressive because of all this yet. last month 1.2B additional shares opening up for sale by employees and investors when a big part of the company’s stock lock-up expires on November 16th. share price might dip more.
|tm||A Bandwidth Breakthrough||http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429722/a-bandwidth-breakthrough/|
|How to avoid the purported spectrum crunch? More base stations, more spectrum, more wattage --- ALGEBRA!|
- New approach from MIT/Caltech startup Code-On Technologies called Coded TCP
- Muriel Medard, professor at MIT's Research Laboratory of Electronics led development from MIT, UNiversity of Porto, Harvard, Caltech and Tech UNiversity of Munich
- Typical mobile packet loss in Boston 3%. Cause delays, generate more traffic, compund problem
- Algebraic equations describe series of packets. If a packet goes missing, solve for the missing packet rather than askign for a re-send
- X+y+z=25 packet x=12 packet y=8 z packet dropped. Solve equation z=5
- Medard's group set up proxy servers in the Amazon cloud. IP traffic was sent to Amazon, encoded, and then decoded as an application on phones.
- Testing on MIT WiFi with 2% poacket loss boosted 1 Mbps speed to 16 Mbps spoeed
- 5% packet loss went from.5 Mbps to 13.5
- Needs to be tested in full-scale deployment.
|ia||FTC releases facial recognition tech guidelines||http://www.zdnet.com/ftc-releases-facial-recognition-tech-guidelines-7000006199/|
|- FTC published "best practices" guidelines for companies that use facial recognition technology|
Companies that use facial recognition tech are recommended to
- design their services with consumer privacy in mind;
- develop reasonable security protections for the information they collect, and sound methods for determining when to keep information and when to dispose of it;
- consider the sensitivity of information when developing their facial recognition products and services – for example, digital signs using facial recognition technologies should not be set up in places where children congregate.
- They also should provide consumers with an easy to use choice not to have their biometric data collected and used for facial recognition, and the ability to turn the feature off at any time and have the biometric data previously collected from their photos permanently deleted.
Q: Do these guidelines (and they're just guidelines) go far enough? Is there anything you think should be added?
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|Zynga and ATT earnings tomorrow 10/24|
|Sony teases '4K, HFR' F-series pro camcorder for October 30th event. last f-model was $16k price tag||http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/sony-teases-4k-hfr-f-series-pro-camcorder-october-30th/|
|AT&T's Galaxy Note II coming on November 9th for $299.99||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3542830/att-galaxy-note-ii-price-release-date-november-9th-for-299-99|
|Good Morning TNT crew!|
While listening to yesterday's discussion about possible new features
for Android, I thought of the biggest benefit for
multiple logins: devices for education.
As a high school teacher, I've looked into trying to get several tech
devices for my classroom. Every mobile device I look into has the same
basic problem. With the exception of computers or laptops, there's not
a good way for me to buy 1 class set of 25-30 devices for all of my
classes to use. Here's the issue: If Student A uses an iPad in class
1, they would have to logout of every app they use before Student B in
class 2 uses that device. This takes up class time logging in and out
of multiple apps, and if a student forgets to log out of an app, their
content is now available to someone else. If a device had multiple
account logins, then a student could choose any device from the class
set, login, and have their individual content there. I think that
would be a big step in getting Google/Android hardware into education
where currently Apple has a huge marketshare.
Just my two cents worth. Love the show!
Michael Coley from Murfreesboro, TN
|I was watching you guys discuss what Mark Zuckerberg said about sharing more in the future and it left me wondering; was he talking about information or data. I personal think that people are sharing way too much information. I really don't care what somebody had for dinner. But people have just begun sharing data. For example, the scale that tweets your weight. I think, in Mark Zuckerberg's mind, the future will have devices all over the house posting to Facebook, Letting everybody know that we need cereal, that we saved 50 watts of electricity this month, or we just jogged two miles on the treadmill.|
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest: Jeff Bakalar|
|American Express Bank, FSB. Member FDIC|
Let’s think about how many of us are saving…
● Hopefully, we’re becoming disciplined about putting away a portion of what we
earn, on a regular basis.
● Some of us are keeping a portion of what we earn in the bank.
● Some of us are saving up for a down payment on a home or a car.
● And hopefully, we’re able to set aside some funds for an unexpected emergency.
Whatever your goals are for saving, here is a good place to put it: An American
Express Personal Savings High-Yield Savings Account.
● It gives you a competitive variable interest rate to help you reach your savings
● You can easily link this savings account to your existing bank accounts without
having to switch banks.
● You can transfer money easily, depending on your needs, and keep track of your
balance via phone or web 24/7.
● It has no minimums and no fees, and includes great phone support whenever
you want to talk to someone.
● This account is a great complement to your existing financial tools.
Amex - 1● Just add the American Express Personal Savings High-Yield Savings
Account, the FDIC insured account offered by American Express Bank,
FSB, for your savings needs.
● “So take control of your finances today”
Learn more [about the American Express Personal Savings High-Yield Savings
Account] today at PersonalSavings.com/OnlineSavings.
● And while you’re there, open an account.
● Remember there are no minimums and no fees, and there is no need to switch
banks. All you need to do is get started - - today.
Let American Express Personal Savings help you reach your savings goals by opening
this High Yield savings account offered by American Express Bank, FSB.
● That’s the High-Yield Savings Account at PersonalSavings.com/
OnlineSavings. Member FDIC.
We thank American Express Bank, FSB for their support of [show].
● I believe… to be successful in business
○ You need to be able to meet with your team regularly
■ Whenever you need to, wherever you are…
○ Discuss plans, share ideas and bring them to life
● But with clients and colleagues working from different offices or on the go… meeting face
to face is not often possible…
● That is unless you use GoToMeeting with HD Faces
○ The powerfully simple way to meet and collaborate with your team online
● GoToMeeting with HD Faces gives your team the ability to share the same screen,
making it easier to be on the same page
○ And when you meet face to face…you’re more likely to see eye to eye
● It’s so easy to launch or join a meeting from anywhere…
● Ex: …This is how I like to do business – effectively!
Call to Action: (VERBATIM)
● Try GoToMeeting FREE for 30 Days!● Don’t wait - for this Special Offer:
○ Visit GoToMeeting.com, click on the TRY IT FREE button and use the promo code
○ Be sure to use the promo code TNT
● GoToMeeting – Meeting is Believing!
● You want want the new iPhone? Before you get the new one, make sure you sell
your used phone to Gazelle for cash -- cash you can use to upgrade!
● Gazelle is simple and fast:
○ Go to gazelle.com – that’s g-a-z-e-l-l-e dot com.
○ Tell Gazelle the condition -- they’ll even buy broken iPhones for cash
○ Get a risk-free offer for your gadgets
○ Gazelle locks in the quote for 30 days
○ Once you get your new iPhone, ship your old one to Gazelle -- They’ll even
pay the shipping.
○ And then you’ll get paid fast by check or paypal.
● Go to gazelle.com now to get an offer for your iPhone - - do it today because your
iPhone may lose value every day that you wait.
● You get paid in cash
○ Payment is fast, within a few days of the item being received
● It’s Risk-Free
○ Offers are good for 30 days -- giving you time to get the new iPhone before
you need to send in your current iPhone.
○ Paid almost $50 million dollars to over 300,000 customers
Gazelle - 13● It’s Easy
○ Free Shipping -- most items qualify for a free box
○ Fast process -- no listing hassles
Products to check on the site:
○ iPhone 4 - 16 GB (AT&T)
○ iPhone 3GS - 16 GB
○ iPhone 4S - 64GB (Verizon)
Offer/Call to Action:
● What’s your iPhone worth? Take a minute, and go to gazelle.com to find out.
● Sell your used iPhone today at Gazelle.com
● ***[no other url or promo code] ***