|Microsoft announces tablet prices, Apple announces mysterious announcement, RIM announces developer farm http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Peter Wells|
LOWER THIRD URL: mactalk.com.au
|SEGMENT GUEST: Evan Brown|
LOWER THIRD URL: @internetcases
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Monday November 19 2012|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
ShareFile. Enhance your work flow- send files of almost any size easily and securely with ShareFile, by Citrix. Try ShareFile today! For a 30 Day Free Trial, go to ShareFile.com, click the radio microphone and enter TNT!
Ford, featuring available SYNC®. Now, you can control your media player with simple voice commands. Enjoy your drive while you easily search and listen to your favorite songs. Check it out on the 2012 Ford Focus and at Ford.com/technology.
Gazelle, the fast and simple way to sell your iPhone, iPad, Macbook, or Android Smartphones. Find out what your gadget is worth and get cash to upgrade to the latest iPhone at Gazelle.com.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||After an inadvertent reveal early this morning on the Microsoft Online Store, the price of the Microsoft Surface RT is offiically announced and pre-orders are being taken RIGHT NOW! The base 10.6-inch tablet with 32 GB of storage will sell for $499, $599 if you want the Touch Cover bundled in. The 64 GB version will sell for $599 or $699 with the Touch Cover. Sold separately the Touch Cover will run $120 and the more keyboard-like Type Cover willrun $130.||http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-reveals-surface-pricing-7000005856/|
|Congressman warns FTC: Leave Google alone||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/congressman-warns-ftc-leave-google-alone/|
|ia||After being leaked, the Boxee TV got official today. For $99, you'll get a set top box with dual tuners and a DVR that records to the cloud. It'll cost you $15 a month to have unlimited DVR storage and that will also allow you to view your recordings on other devices. The cloud DVR functionality will be available in limited markets at launch in November.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3507568/boxee-tv-unlimited-dvr-netflix-vudu-apps-99|
|tm||Apple has invited the press to an announcement next Tuesday, October 23, at 10am Pacific Time at the California Theater in San Jose. The invitation shows a partial image of an Apple logo against a pointilist background and reads, "We've got a little more to show you." Who cna guess what it could be?||http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/october-23-apple-confirmed-weve-got-a-little-more-to-show-you/|
|sl||An unnamed source is passing on info that Apple customers will soon be able to pay for store items via the Passbook app. How? By updating the EasyPay software used by store employees to scan Passbook-enabled Apple Store gift cards. The update would let iPhone and iPod Touch owners with Passbook pay for items using payment card codes. Apple has reportedly just finished replacing the cases on the EasyPay-equipped iPod Touch units used by store staffers in order to allow access to the rear camera.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57533131-37/apple-stores-get-ready-for-passbook-payments/|
|ia||RIM opened up its first developer center in Slough in the United Kingdom. The BlackBerry Tech Center will give BlackBerry 10 developers access to help and workspace to build apps. Each day, the center will focus on a different part of app development. RIM will open more centers in Vancouver and Sillcon Valley.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/15/working-9-to-5-for-blackberry-10-rim-opens-developer-workspace-at-emea-hq-to-help-accelerate-app-development/|
|tm||FoxConn Technology Group, most famous as the maker of the iPhone, announced it discovered underage interns as young as 14 working at one of its factories. The company was investigating its factory in Yantai, China and sent the interns back to their schools. China's minimum working age is 16.||http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/10/16/iphone-apple-employment/1635879/|
|sl||Samsung has finalized details about its lineup of Windows 8 PCs and tablet hybrids. |
hybrid laptop/tablets getting some attention: ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T — $1,200
ATIV Smart PC 500T — $750 (with keyboard) / $650 (without keyboard).
Series 9 Premium Ultrabook — $1,400 (15 inch), $1,300 (13 inch)
Series 7 Notebook — $1,100 (15 inch)
Series 5 Ultra Touch (13.3-inch touch screen laptop) — $860 (Core i5), $810 (Core i3)
Series 3 Notebook — $450 – $900 depending on configuration
Series 7 All-in-One — $1,700 (27 inch); $1100 (23.6 inch)
Series 5 All-in-One — $800 (21.5 inch)
|tm||Asus unveiled the PadFone 2. The Android phone sports a 4.7-inch 720 IPS display, a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 and 2 GB of RAM. Of course what make sit a PADFone is the tablet dock which is a thinner 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 display with a 5,000 maH battery down from 6600. The hadnset has a beffier 2140 mAh cell now. Both the dock and the handset will be available by the end of the year in Europe and Asia, with the euro pricing set at €899 for the 64GB version or €799 for the 32GB kit.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3508242/asus-padfone-2-announcement|
|ia||It's finally officially here! The Xbox Live dashboard update is now rolling out after being in public beta since July. There's a bunch of feature updates -- Internet Explorer on Xbox, Web video results now includes YouTube content, "TV & Movies" is combined in to one channel and the sports hub is added to the home channel of the dashboard! Oh, and there are performance improvements too.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3509966/new-xbox-live-dashboard-rolls-out-tomorrow|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Peter Wells|
LOWER THIRD URL: mactalk.com.au
|tm||Microsoft Hopes $499 Starting Price for Surface Will Click With Consumers||http://allthingsd.com/20121016/microsoft-to-start-taking-surface-orders-tuesday-with-models-starting-at-499/|
|Microsoft Surface: inside the three-year secret project to build the first great Windows tablet||http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/microsoft-surface-behind-the-scenes/|
|Microsoft reportedly building up to 5 million Surface tablets for the fall||http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/microsoft-reportedly-building-up-to-5-million-surface-tablets/|
|First Microsoft Surface ad airs on national TV ahead of October 26th release||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3507274/microsoft-surface-ads-marketing-campaign||VIDEO|
|10 days before they go on sale, Microsoft pricing for Surface appeared on MS online store then disappeared|
-10.6-inch Surface RT $499 for 32 GB $599 with touch cover, $599 for 64 GB, $699 w/ touch cover
- Touch Cover, at $119.99 each, and Type Cover for $129.99
- 9.3mm thin tablet weighs just 1.5lbs and includes a built-in kickstand and vapor-deposited (PVD) magnesium case.
- Surface "reception" for press Oct. 25, Pop-up stores open Oct. 26
- Pre-orders began 9 AM this morning
- Ad for Surface played during MNF
- WSJ reports suppliers say MS building 3-5 million to ship in the autumn
QUESTION: What do we think of the pricing?
|Microsoft took about a dozen select reporters on a tour of the facility where the Surface was designed -- Dana Wollman from Engadget *still* didn't get much hands-on time with it.|
|ia||October 23 Apple confirmed: "We've got a little more to show you"||http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/october-23-apple-confirmed-weve-got-a-little-more-to-show-you/|
|Apple also planning new Mac minis for launch alongside smaller iPad||http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/15/apple-also-planning-new-mac-minis-for-launch-alongside-smaller-ipad/||Rumor Mill|
|Sizing Up Apple’s Potential iPad Mini Storage, Display And Wireless Connectivity Options||http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/16/sizing-up-apples-potential-ipad-mini-storage-display-and-wireless-connectivity-options/|
|- Apple event confirmed for Oct 23rd: The invitation, sent to select members of the media, shows a vague image of an Apple logo and reads, "We've got a little more to show you."|
- AllThingsD says we're getting a 13-inch MBP w/Retina Display (backs up 9to5mac's report). Display would be 2560 x 1600
- 9to5Mac says a new Mac Mini will hit. two configs and a third model with OS X server. The new mini would be available immediately after announcement.
- More details on the iPad mini: suggesting four different storage options and three different types of connectivity (12 diff models and they come in two colors). AppleInsider’s info suggests instead that there will be distinct 3G and LTE models
Around the horn: you buying there will be a focus on mini products?
|sl||RIM opens first BlackBerry 10 advice centre for developers||http://www.zdnet.com/uk/rim-opens-first-blackberry-10-advice-centre-for-developers-7000005859/|
|The BlackBerry as Black Sheep||http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/technology/blackberry-becomes-a-source-of-shame-for-users.html?pagewanted=all|
|- 1st BB tech center at its European headquarters in the UK in Slough|
- Each day has a different theme: Android, iOS and Windows efforts get the most attention, with dedicated help available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, while Mondays are for Native/Cascades/QT, and Wednesdays for WebWorks and HTML5.
- plans to open more developer tech centres in Silicon Valley, Vancouver and Indonesia
|- NYT article about the shame of having a BB|
- profile of woman who says she hides her BlackBerry beneath her iPad for fear clients will see it and judge her.
- “I want to take a bat to it,” says one BB user after waiting for her phone’s browser to load for the third minute, only to watch the battery die. “You can’t do anything with it. You’re supposed to, but it’s all a big lie.”
- Victoria Gossage, a 28-year-old hedge fund marketer, said she recently attended a work retreat at Piping Rock Club, an upscale country club in Locust Valley, N.Y., and asked the concierge for a phone charger. “First he said, ‘Sure.’ Then he saw my phone and — in this disgusted tone — said, ‘Oh no, no, not for that.’ ”
- “BlackBerry users are like Myspace users,” sneers Craig Robert Smith, a Los Angeles musician. “They probably still chat on AOL Instant Messenger.”
|sl||The $56 Million Man: Yahoo Confirms Hiring of Google’s De Castro as COO||http://allthingsd.com/20121015/yahoo-confirms-hiring-of-googles-de-castro-as-coo-like-i-said/|
|- Henrique De Castro is new COO. most recently VP of Google’s worldwide Partner Business Solutions group, previously led Google’s media, mobile and platforms organization, two years at Dell Corporation, where he managed sales and business development operations across Western Europe|
- $600,000 yearly base salary + annual bonus. $36M in stock grants. one-time retention equity award of $18M and $18M in the form of performance-based stock options.
- $1M in “make-whole” cash for walking away from Google and $20M in stock to replace his Google shares that will vest over 4 years.
- current head of revenue Michael Barrett. De Castro and Barrett worked together at Google and multiple sources said the pair did not get along there.
- Barrett has publicly said he planned to stay at Yahoo under Mayer — he was hired by interim CEO Ross Levinson this summer before she arrived — many sources said he does not want to be at the company for the long term.
|Marissa Mayer's tweet: My first full day back in the office, and I'm excited to kick it off by announcing my new COO|
- ATD says Yahoo in talks to acquire PubMatic - helps publishers effectively manage their display ad inventory, and competes with Google’s AdMeld.
|ia||The Boxee TV Offers Unlimited DVR Storage, Dual Tuners, And Netflix For $99 (And $15 A Month)||http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/16/boxee-tv/||VIDEO (pre-roll)|
|Can Boxee reinvent cable with the help of a TV antenna?||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3507568/boxee-tv-unlimited-dvr-netflix-vudu-apps-99|
|- Boxee TV got official today after getting leaked|
- Cloud DVR with unlimited storage, dual ATSC/QAM tuners
- there is a monthly charge to use the cloud DVR of $14.99 a month. also allows for remote viewing
- the DVR will work with almost any speed connection, but Avner recommends a minimum of 2Mbps up and 5Mbps down to get the best quality from the DVR’s 2-4Mbps video streams.
- set-top box can pull in over-the-air HDTV signals and unencrypted cable signals. The dual tuner setup also allows it to record two channels at once.
- Avner Ronen told TechCrunch that the Boxee TV isn't a replacement for the Boxee Box. The Boxee TV is "made by geeks, for people."
- Boxee TV doesn't support as many file types, doesn't have as many apps (no web browser)
- Does have Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, YouTube
- Launches in Nov, but its cloud DVR will be available in a few markets at launch: NYC, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Washington DC and Philadelphia.
Q: Opinion on the cloud DVR option and the scaled back functions (like no web browser)?
|tm||How a single DMCA notice took down 1.45 million education blogs||http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/how-a-single-dmca-notice-took-down-1-45-million-education-blogs/||SEGMENT GUEST: Evan Brown|
LOWER THIRD URL: @internetcases
|One DMCA complaint shutters 1.45 million education blogs||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3509800/dmca-takedown-request-pearson-serverbeach-edublogs|
|- Teacher created the blog post in 2007 as part of a lesson plan related to suicide and self-harm.|
- reprint of "Beck's Hopelessness Scale," a 20-item self-evaluation questionnaire published in 1974 which Pearson sells for $120
- Publisher Pearson sent a DMCA notice to ServerBeach
- ServerBeach says received DMCA notice Sep. 26th passed to EduBlogs resolved w/in 24 hours
- ServerBeach says they received second notice Oct. 8, was not responded to. Second notice sent 10/9, not responded to.
- ServerBeach says the file was still accessible. EduBlogs says the file was in the Web Server's Varnish Cache but then removed.
- Oct. 10 (Last Wednesday) ServerBeach took action that casued Edublogs servers to go offline for about 60 minutes, along with its 1.45 million blogs.
-Edublogs in Australia, ServerBeach in US. Shutdown happened middle of the night in Australia
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|19TH CENTURY FRENCH ARTISTS PREDICTED THE WORLD OF THE FUTURE IN THIS SERIES OF POSTCARDS||http://singularityhub.com/2012/10/15/19th-century-french-artists-predicted-the-world-of-the-future-in-this-series-of-postcards/|
|GDGT Live in Boston tomorrow 10/17|
|Google Wallet to phase out prepaid card, cut-off date set for 10/17|
|Ebay earnings are tomorrow 10/17|
|Dublin Web Summit starts tomorrow, runs through Thurs in Dublin||http://www.websummit.net/|
|Samsung Galaxy Note II coming to Sprint October 25th for $299.99||http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3510968/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-sprint-release-date-october-25|
|Hi TNT crew,|
I'm based in Japan and have been a listener of the show for sometime
now but it's rather rare that you guys discuss topics related to
Japan. When Tom kicked off the show with the story of Softbank's
acquisition of Sprint last Thu, made me realize the magnitude of the
I personally believe end users of both Sprint and Softbank Mobile are
in the position to gain here. They'll be able leverage their size to
get better deals from device makers such as Apple but also from their
mobile vendors such as Ericsson and NSN. I happen to be working for
one of smaller vendors for Softbank Mobile and I know they spend
billions of dollars each year to these vendors in order to improve and
maintain their network. With 4G becoming more and more standard, the
cost is only expected to rise in the foreseeable future. Their
combined presence in the US and Japan will allow them to invest more
efficiently in their infrastructure, which generally is a good thing
not only for the carriers themselves but also for their end-users.
It is general consensus amongst Japanese people that Softbank still
has the worst reception of the top 3 carriers here in Japan (NTT
Docom, KDDI and Softbank). So they have their share of network
improvement work to do themselves. I think (hope) we can expect good
things for both Softbank and Sprint out of this acquisition.
Love the show!
Sunday more, like 8 million others, I saw the links for Felix Baumgartner on social media and checked out the stream on my iPhone. Then I thought it would be cool to put it on my living room TV so my son and I can follow along together.
I first fired up the built in YouTube App on my Panasonic TV. Besides the painfully slow interface, could not find a way to get to the live stream on Youtube. Second, fired up my PS3 web browser. Entered the Red Bull URL and the PS3 took me to the download page for their YouTube App. Once there, same problem. All these setup Apps are mostly designed to let you watch "featured" clips. And doing search just brings up endless user video postings on the space jump. Finally, I went to my Windows 7 Media Center PC and even that required a Flash install before I was able to finally get it on my TV in full screen, and good 35 min later.
Yes, Apple would have said if I had an AppleTV I could just have AirPlayed it. But I don't have an AppleTV and I'm not sure I wanted my phone tied up for an hour while the balloon capsule went from 75000 to 130000 feet.
I can't help to think if it's this complicated to do this for a "tech head", we have a long long way to go before the average user out there can enjoy all this tech "advances".
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Wil Harris|
● Technology has changed the way we all work BUT…
○ In order to make the most of it, we need the right tools
● That’s why I use ShareFile by Citrix
● Industry professionals in law, accounting, financial services, health care, marketing
○ Rely on ShareFile every day to collaborate with clients and co-workers while
maintaining the highest level of security and accountability
● With ShareFile, you can easily send and receive files of almost any size
● Instead of attachments, they’re sent as secure links
○ No bounce backs or exceeding Inbox space
● Sharefile provides complete control over who has access to files and offers features
like password protection for optimal security
● Plus, with ShareFile you can access files from anywhere –laptop, tablet or smart
● Explain that you use ShareFile to send/receive materials for your radio show: audio
Call to Action (Verbatim)
● I want you to try ShareFile with my special offer ● Sign up today and receive a 30 day free trial
● Go to ShareFile.com, click on the radio microphone and enter, TNT
● Remember – Visit ShareFile.com and type in TNT!
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Ford, featuring SYNC’s versatile
entertainment features, such as:
• Browsing – Browse your music collection by genre, album, artist, playlist or song title,
all using voice commands.
• Playlists – SYNC allows voice-activated control of your media player – it’ll even play
a list of music you're in the mood for, with the “Play similar music” voice command.
• Listen to your entertainment on most any device – Voice-control music, no matter
how it’s stored . . . on your smartphone (via Bluetooth® streaming), USB drive, or
MP3 player (iPod®, iPad® etc.)
• iTunes® Tagging – You don't have to worry about remembering the name of that
song you just heard. Available SYNC with MyFord Touch® and HD Radio™
technology with iTunes® Tagging . . . that lets you tag a song you like, transfer that
info to your iPod®, and purchase the song directly from the iTunes® store at a later
Best of all, Ford offers SYNC on every 2012/2013 Ford vehicle sold in the USA,
including the 2012 Ford Focus.
You can learn more about this and other technologies Ford is bringing to its vehicles at
● You want want the new iPhone? Before you get the new one, make sure you sell
your used phone to Gazelle for cash -- cash you can use to upgrade!
● Gazelle is simple and fast:
○ Go to gazelle.com – that’s g-a-z-e-l-l-e dot com.
○ Tell Gazelle the condition -- they’ll even buy broken iPhones for cash
○ Get a risk-free offer for your gadgets
○ Gazelle locks in the quote for 30 days
○ Once you get your new iPhone, ship your old one to Gazelle -- They’ll even
pay the shipping.
○ And then you’ll get paid fast by check or paypal.
● Go to gazelle.com now to get an offer for your iPhone - - do it today because your
iPhone may lose value every day that you wait.
● You get paid in cash
○ Payment is fast, within a few days of the item being received
● It’s Risk-Free
○ Offers are good for 30 days -- giving you time to get the new iPhone before
you need to send in your current iPhone.
○ Paid almost $50 million dollars to over 300,000 customers
Gazelle - 13● It’s Easy
○ Free Shipping -- most items qualify for a free box
○ Fast process -- no listing hassles
Products to check on the site:
○ iPhone 4 - 16 GB (AT&T)
○ iPhone 3GS - 16 GB
○ iPhone 4S - 64GB (Verizon)
Offer/Call to Action:
● What’s your iPhone worth? Take a minute, and go to gazelle.com to find out.
● Sell your used iPhone today at Gazelle.com
● ***[no other url or promo code] ***