|Apple hires a vicious critic, Yahoo shopping for video service, Amazon rumored to make all the things http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Nicole Lee, Associate Editor, Engadget.com, @nicole|
LOWER THIRD URL: Engadget.com, @nicole
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media files, go to pond5.com/tnt.
Squarespace, the all-in-one platform that makes it fast and easy to create a professional website, blog, portfolio, and now...an online store! Check out their NEW commerce solution so you can start selling stuff immediately. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase on new accounts, go to Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT3.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Some time iOS critic and Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch will leave the company March 22 to take a position at Apple. Lynch will take the job of vice president of technology at Apple, reporting to senior vice president of technology Bob Mansfield. Adobe will not fill the position of CTO after Lynch leaves.||http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/19/us-apple-adobe-cto-idUSBRE92I18L20130319|
|sl||the BBC reports that A virus is to blame for disruption in computer networks at two South Korean banks, Shinhan Bank and Nonghyup, and three TV stations KBS, MBS and YTN. an official says it's believed to be "malicious" code, and that investigators are still analysing the virus. An official from the presidential office told Yonhap news agency it was not yet known whether North Korea was involved. Last week, North Korea accused the US and its allies of attacks on its internet servers.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21855051|
|ia||Do you love graphics cards and have a spare 25 grand laying around? Good! Because Nvidia just released its GRID visual Computing Appliance. It's meant for animators and designers and it costs $24,900. Oh, and there's a yearly $2400 software license fee. The device contains 192GB of RAM, 16 threads of CPU and 8 GPUs. There is also a 16 GPU model, but you'll have to contact Nvidia to find out what that costs. Remember - if you have to ask, you can't afford it.||http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/nvidias-grid-vca-now-available/|
|tm||Federal IT blog FCW reports that Amazon has agreed to a cloud computing contract with the CIA worth $600 million over 10 years. The report indicates Amazon Web Services would be asked to build a cost-effective private cloud computing environment that would allow secure integration and information sharing throughout the intelligence community. As you might expect neither the CIA or Amazon would comment.||http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/sources-say-amazon-scored-a-multi-million-dollar-contract-with-the-cia/|
|sl||Uh oh...BlackBerry's new BB10 software has been rejected by the British government as not secure enough for essential work. The previous BlackBerry version, 7.1, was cleared by the UK's Communications-Electronics Security Group (CESG) in December 2012 for classifications up to "Restricted" – two levels below "Secret". However, tests on BB10 and the BlackBerry Balance software, have shown that it fails the same security requirements. BlackBerry has confirmed that BB10 has not been passed yet by CESG, but could not offer a date when revised software would be submitted.||http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/mar/19/blackberry-software-not-safe-enough-government-work|
|ia||You know - you need more fiber in your diet and you're going to get it especially if you're in Kansas. Google will expand Google Fiber in Kansas City. The suburb of Olathe is the next lucky place to get access to Google's ludicrously fast network. Google launched its 1Gbps network nine months ago. The company said it's ready to launch service in other locations. Hey Google! How about Petaluma. My house.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57575275-93/google-reveals-first-expansion-of-speedy-google-fiber-service/|
|tm||The US Supreme Court has upheld Thai student Supap Kirtsaeng's right to buy cheap textbooks in Thailand and re-sell them in the US. The "right of first sale" is well founded in domestic use, but publisher John Wiley & Sons argued that the rules should be different for international goods. The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 to overturn Federal Appeals court decisions in favor of Kirtsaeng and the right of first sale to apply to international goods. And so your right to re-sell that phone or tablet that was made in China lives for another day.||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/thai-student-protected-by-first-sale-supreme-court-rules/|
|sl||Giphy, a new startup from incubator Betaworks, lets users search a database of around thousands of GIFs. Gifs are big in the internet meme world right now, sounds great, right? Google certainly thinks so. yesterday the company announced that it was adding a drop-down option to the search tools menu on all its image searches, so that users can filter those results so that only the animated gifs appear. big search giant vs. little startup project? whatever, as long as i can see jennifer lawrence falling on the oscar stairs on loop, i think everyone wins.||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/20/4125626/betaworks-giphy-takes-on-google-in-the-red-hot-market-for-gif-search|
|tm||Jawbone has released an Android app for it's Jawbone Up device. The fitness bracelet tracks movement, sleep, food and mood when paired with an app. In addition Apple stores in Europe began carrying the UP and Apple Stores in Asia and Australia will join them next month, along with other retail locations in Europe, Asia, Australia, and the Middle East.||http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/19/jawbone-android/|
|ia||Bad news everybody! Trend Micro says that SCADA systems are attracting all kinds of hackers. SCADA stands for supervisory control and data acquisition and they run industrial places like factories, airports and power plants. Trend Micro tested this by setting up a honeypot with traditional vulnerabilities, but steps were taken to make the honeypots easily discovered. The company says that within 18 hours its honeypots were attacked. Trend Micro logged data for 28 days and found 39 attacks from 14 different countries.||http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/20/scada_honeypot_research/|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Nicole Lee, Associate Editor, Engadget.com, @nicole|
LOWER THIRD URL: Engadget.com, @nicole
|tm||Why did Apple hire Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch?||http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/19/why-did-apple-hire-adobe-cto-kevin-lynch|
|Exhibit A in the Case That Newly-Hired Apple VP of Technology Kevin Lynch Is a Bozo, a Bad Hire||http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/03/19/lynch-bozo|
|Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch Headed to Apple||http://allthingsd.com/20130319/adobe-cto-kevin-lynch-headed-to-apple/|
|Watch the new Apple VP of Technology smash up iPhones back in 2009||http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2013/03/20/watch-the-new-apple-vp-of-technology-smash-up-iphones-back-in-2009/|
|Adobe and Apple: allies and rivals through the ages||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57575323-92/adobe-and-apple-allies-and-rivals-through-the-ages/|
|Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch going to Apple to be VP Tech under Senior VP Tech Bob Mansfield|
- Lynch led the fight for Flash when Apple excluded it from iOS
- Lynch had ambitions of being CEO
- Mansfield had resigned from Apple, when Cook reorged, ousted Forstall, and gave Mansfield a new job
- Adobe will not hire a new CTO but let business unit heads handle their own.
So… The guy who hated Apple's iOS and wanted to be CEO of his company has left to work for the company who created the thing he hated to not be CEO and work for a guy who once quit. And Adobe won't replace him.
- Clue: Daniel Eran Dilger at Apple Insider points out Lynh developed user interface elements for FrameMaker and other software when at General Magic.
|ia||Yahoo looks to buy stake in video-sharing site Dailymotion||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57575223-93/yahoo-looks-to-buy-stake-in-video-sharing-site-dailymotion/|
|- WSJ reports that Yahoo Inc. is in talks to buy a controlling stake in online-video site Dailymotion, according to people familiar with the talks |
- Yahoo could buy as much as 75% of Dailymotion as part of an ownership structure that is under consideration, these people said.
- The site could be valued at around $300 million, one of these people said, and would help U.S.-based Yahoo to gain a bigger toehold in online video in parts of Europe and Asia.
- Dailymotion is the 12th-largest video website in the world by unique users, with 116 million in January, according to research firm comScore Inc - the site, is particularly strong in countries such as France and Turkey
- Last year, Dailymotion said it had signed a syndication deal with Yahoo to make its videos available on Yahoo sites.
q: does picking up an online video site make sense for Yahoo?
|sl||Twitter gets a patent on... Twitter||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4124888/twitter-gets-a-patent-on-twitter|
|- yesterday twitter granted patent on the Twitter messaging service itself. founders Jack Dorsey and Biz Stone listed as inventors|
- broadly describes a messaging service in which users follow each other and sent messages don't have specific recipients, but are rather sent and displayed to those followers by the system itself. patent claims explicitly make reference to "broadcasting an update message" several times.
- Twitter filed for the patent in 2007
- pending patent on the familiar "pull-to-refresh" gesture
- publicly promised to only use patents defensively, and last year introduced the Innovator's Patent Agreement to codify that promise and require permission from its employees before suing offensively.
- what about Facebook subscriptions? broad claims on allowing messages to be sent to a large group of unaddressed recipients who follow the sender.
|sl||Amazon Rumored To Be Working On A $99 7-Inch Kindle Fire HD||http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/20/amazon-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-99-kindle-fire-hd-7/|
|Amazon in talks with record labels about subscription music service||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4124702/amazon-talks-to-record-labels-about-subscription-music-service|
|Amazon launches “Send to Kindle” button for web publishers and WordPress blogs||http://paidcontent.org/2013/03/19/amazon-launches-send-to-kindle-button-for-web-publishers-and-wordpress-blogs/|
|- tc hearing $99 Kindle Fire 7″ tablet is in production, and will be shipping this year.|
- TI processor like the rest of the lineup, and will have a 1280×800 resolution, like today’s Kindle Fire HD 7″ does. TI rumored to be getting out of chip-making business. did amazon buy up remaining stock for cheap?
- amazon dropping prices on Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ devices. The Wi-Fi-only version will now cost $269, down from $299, while the LTE version dropped from $499 to $399.
- verge reporting amazon looking to build spotify competitor, streaming music service. already has amazon cloud player + cloud storage... bundle in a deal w cheaper kindle?
|- Amazon is now allowing publishers to add “Send to Kindle” buttons to their websites and WordPress blogs, The Washington Post, Time magazine and the blog Boing Boing are already using the button. competes w instapaper, pocket.|
|ia||Microsoft Says Paying Developers Is Not Its Main Strategy for Getting More Windows Apps||http://allthingsd.com/20130320/microsoft-says-paying-developers-not-its-main-strategy-for-getting-more-windows-apps/|
|Microsoft tempts Windows developers with $100 cash for new apps||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4124548/microsoft-paying-developers-cash-for-windows-apps|
|- Microsoft is running a promotion to pump up the Windows Store|
- It's called "Keep the Cash"
- Microsoft is offering developers $100 per app for newly published applications submitted to the Windows Phone Store or the Windows Store by June 30th.
- Developers can net $2,000 in total by submitting up to 10 apps to each store.
- Payment is a $100 virtual Visa card
- In a statement to AllThingsD, a MS rep said that paying developers is not its primary strategy, noting that the promotion is a limited-time offer that runs only through the end of June.
Q: Paying app developers up front - is this going to work for WP, W8, both or neither?
|tm||The Real Purpose of DRM||http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/03/19/229219/the-real-purpose-of-drm?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed|
|Ian Hickson, author and maintainer of HTML5 spec (and Google employee) posted on G+ about the real reason behind DRM|
- Berners-Lee recently commented in favor of DRM hooks in the HTML 5 spec
- It is not about copyright protection
- DRM's purpose is to give content providers control over software and hardware providers, and it is satisfying that purpose well.
- DRM working really well in movie and book space
- If CD players had been encrypted iPods wouldn't have been able to be filled with music
- Companies that make playback hardware and software AND license content, drive DRM forward against the convenience of the user.
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story, put your initials to the left of the story you like best||VIDEO|
|EPFL mixes graphene and molybdenite to make very efficient, flexible flash memory||http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/epfl-combines-graphene-and-molybdenite-for-super-efficient-memory/|
|AD - GOTOMEETING IPAD WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT||https://twitter.com/janettwokay/status/311405219693068288||<--- Winning tweet|
|Ignition Mobile conf in SF tomorrow 3/21 - cover topics including the new mobile economy, mobile social networks, mobile commerce and advertising, mobile publishing, and investing in mobile and mobile content.||http://www.businessinsider.com/event/ignition-mobile-2013|
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Jeff Bakalar|
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artist-
friendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media files at pond5.com/tnt
● That’s pond5.com/tnt
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
This episode is brought to you by:
Squarespace, the all-in-one platform that makes it fast and easy to create a professional
website, blog, portfolio, and now... an online store!
Squarespace introduces a NEW commerce solution that allows you to instantly create a
store and start selling products.
Squarespace Commerce provides a powerful and flexible e-commerce solution.
● Integrated to work with every Squarespace template, allowing sales for both
physical and digital goods (for example, you can sell music cds or MP3s,
hardcover books or e-books).
● Fast merchant account set-up so that you can accept payments right away
(credit or debit cards).
● Single interface for order management: tracking orders, providing
customer email updates, printing shipping labels and adding coupons.
● Squarespace Commerce is included with a Business Plan subscription,
which starts at $24 per month when you sign up for a year (or $30 for
Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.Squarespace - 29
● Squarespace has developed templates with mobile-ready responsive designs - -
which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any device
(smartphone, tablet or computer).
● And of course, this means you get a mobile ready store with the new commerce
Squarespace is fast and easy to use.
● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality.
Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
Squarespace is an all-in-one platform integrating all your website needs- -
domains, design, development, commerce, hosting and 24/7 customer support.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT3 and get
10% off your first purchase on new accounts (includes monthly and annual
● And don’t forget about free domain registrations for annual plan customer
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT3
● Everything you need to create an exceptional website!
|GoToMeeting iPad Giveaway Winner|
GoToMeeting has made it possible to meet from ANYWHERE with their fantastic mobile apps! And now you can even present from your iPad!
Thank you for everyone who tweeted their answers to our question, “if you could host a meeting from anywhere this winter using GoToMeeting where would it be and why?”
I’m pleased to announce the winner of the NEW iPad signed by me ---------
o Shared “I would host my #GoToMeeting from the farmer’s market because it’s a busy place that’s filled with colorful and healthy munchies. #TNTiPAD”
Congratulations to Janett Wokay
Remember, don’t forget to try GoToMeeting free today!