|Is MS Surface Pro half-dead already? Zynga and Facebook taking a break, Bendable phones coming! http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Darren Kitchen|
LOWER THIRD URL: hak5.org
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media downloads, go to pond5.com/tnt
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Audible.com. To download a free audiobook of your choice go to: audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Cloudflare, the Internet uptime insurer, posted an interesting analysis of the Syrian Internet outage. The Assad Government in Syria claims terrorists cut a cable causing the outage. CLoudflare points out there are four cables connecting Syria to the Internet, and their analysts shows an orderly disappearance of service consistent with router configuration updates.||http://blog.cloudflare.com/how-syria-turned-off-the-internet|
|sl||iPhone 5 and iPad Mini both coming to China next month! Apple announced this morning that the Wi-Fi versions of the iPad Mini and the 4th-gen retina iPad will be available in China on Friday, December 7, and the iPhone 5 on Friday, December 14. Chinese consumers will be able to get all three gadgets through the Apple Online Store, via select Apple resellers, and by reservation from Apple retail stores.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57556390-37/china-to-get-iphone-5-ipad-mini-in-december/|
|ia||Microsoft released details about its Surface Pro tablet. There are two models: a 64GB version at $899 and a 128GB model at $999. The Surface Pro runs Windows 8 Pro using an Intel Core i5 processor. If you're wondering what that processor will do to battery life - the Surface Pro will get half the battery life as the Surface RT according to Microsoft's Surface twitter account. Microsoft didn't announce a specific launch date, but the tablet is expected in January.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57556307-75/microsoft-surface-pro-to-get-half-the-battery-life-of-surface-rt/|
|dk||The unlocked version of the iPhone is now available in the US starting for $649 for the 16 GB version. Add $100 for the 32 and $200 for the 64 GB versions. Also a Merrill Lynch analyst believes T-Mobile might announce the iPhone coming to their USA network next week. Kevin Fitchard of GigaOm threw cold water on that report though, arguing T-Mobile's network just isn't ready yet. Unlocked iPhones can be used on T-Mobile but only at Edge speeds.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3709164/unlocked-iphone-5-us-pricing-availability|
|tm||Apple's new iMacs are available to order in the US, Canada and across Europe. The 21.5-inch models estimate shipping in 1-3 days. The 27-inch models are also available for order, but aren't expected to arrive until just before Christmas, with an estimated shipping date of between 2-3 weeks.||http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/30/apples-new-redesigned-imacs-go-on-sale-in-the-us-21-5-inch-models-shipping-in-1-3-days/|
|sl||Zynga just filed a document with the SEC outlining new terms in its agreement with Facebook. According to the filing, any “standard Zynga game page” that uses Facebook data will now be governed Facebook’s standard terms of service. That means games on Zynga.com are no longer forced to use Facebook ad units and credits. Zynga’s right to cross-promote its non-Facebook games using Facebook data and email addresses is now limited by Facebook's standard terms.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/29/zynga-facebook-deal-amendment/|
|ia||Dell's got a new laptop and it's running Ubuntu. Dell dabbled with selling Linux laptops with its Project Sputnik and this this is the result. You can get the Dell XPS 13 Laptop, Developer Edition with Ubuntu preinstalled. For specs, you're looking at a 13-inch screen, 8GB of memory, an Intel Core i7 processor and it starts at $1450. This XPS 13 costs $250 more than other XPS 13 models that run Windows 8, but is about $50 less than one running Windows 7.||http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/dells_ubuntu_ultrabook_now_available_costs_250_more_windows_8_model|
|dk||There's a new Humble Bundle out! It's called the Humble THQ Bundle because these games are from THQ! You'll get to name your own price (starting at about $6) for titles like Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Metro 2033 and Saints Row: The Third. The bundle also includes some game soundtracks. You'll get codes you can redeem on Steam. It's a great deal and you can have a portion of the price you pay go to charity.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57556405-58/name-your-own-price-for-a-thq-game-bundle-pc/|
|tm||Cloud price war! Amazon and Google both announced steep price cuts to their cloud storage services today. Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) service dropped 24 to 28 percent while Google's Cloud Storage has dropped more than 30 percent in the past week. Google already cut prices by 20 percent earlier this week and then followed up with an additional 10 percent cut today to match Amazon. The lower prices for both services take effect December 1.||http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/amazon-google-slash-cloud-storage-prices-more-than-25/|
|sl||Redbox Instant by Verizon is currently being tested in private beta, but GigaOm discovered a help section with speciifc details about the service that is publicly available on the web. Assuming nothing changes, subscriptions will start at $6/month, but the service will have a smaller library than Netflix, at least to start. Redbox Instant will initially be available on the web, Android and iOS devices, the Xbox 360 and select Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. Customers will be able to register up to five devices to access the service.||http://gigaom.com/video/redbox-instant-pricing-device-support-launch-date/|
|ia||Microsoft Surface Pro to get half the battery life of Surface RT||http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57556307-75/microsoft-surface-pro-to-get-half-the-battery-life-of-surface-rt/|
|Microsoft announces pricing and detailed specs for Surface Pro||http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-announces-pricing-and-detailed-specs-for-surface-pro-7000008102/|
|Microsoft Proves (Again) That It Doesn’t Understand Marketing with Surface RT and Surface Pro||http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/30/microsoft-proves-again-that-it-doesnt-understand-marketing-with-surface-rt-and-surface-pro/|
|- Microsoft revealed details about its Surface Pro tablet (which runs Windows 8 Pro)|
- 2 models: 64GB $899, 128GB $999
- Core i5 processor (clock speed not specified)
- 10.6" 9 ClearType with 1920x1080 full HD resolution
- Full digitizer and ink support with Palm Block technology
- Full-size USB 3.0 port
- Mini DisplayPort (can drive an external display up to 2560 x 1440 resolution)
- weighs less than 2 pounds
- Comes with a Surface pen
Will be released in January 2013. MS didn't give an actual date.
- Acc'g to the Surface twitter acct it's 1/2 the battery life of the Surface RT. You'll get 4-5 hours (RT gets 8-10)
|Q: What do we think about the specs and price? Too much for a tablet? Just right for a premium one?|
|sl||Zynga Loosens Its Deal With Facebook: No Longer Tied To Facebook Ad Units, Credits, Or Exclusivity||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/29/zynga-facebook-deal-amendment/|
|new doc Zynga filed with SEC: any “standard Zynga game page” using FB data will now be governed Facebook’s standard terms of service. Games on Zynga.com platform are no longer obligated to use FB ad units & credits. In exchange, Zynga’s right to cross-promote its non-FB games using FB data and email addresses is now limited by the standard terms.|
- Facebook no longer has the exclusive rights to Zynga’s social game launches (though still will have big presence there)
- in 2010 FB & Zynga entered 5-year strategic relationship that increases their shared commitment to social gaming on Facebook and expands use of Facebook Credits in Zynga’s games, but zynga.com an effort to decrease FB dependence, & Zuckberg said in recent earnings call payments to Zynga dropping 20% annually
| Zynga’s stock price was down 12.98% in after-hours trading on the news|
- as of March 31 of next year, “Facebook will no longer be prohibited from developing its own games,”. “We’re not in the business of building games and we have no plans to do so,” a FB spokesperson told ATD. “We’re focused on being the platform where games and apps are built.”
|tm||Bend me, shape me: Flexible phones 'out by 2013'||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20526577|
|BBC special report on bendable phones|
- Samsung, LG, Philips, Sharp, Sony and Nokia
- Kindle e-ink reader has non-rigid screen. Compenents beneath make it stiff
- both parts of the display have to be flexible - the optical frontplane and the backplane, where transistors are - as well as the device's battery, the outer shell, the touchscreen and other components.
- LG Displays mass-producing fully flexible e-ink screens,
- Samsung using OLED for "foldable rollable, wearable" phones
- Prof Andrea Ferrari from Cambridge University works on future bendy displays using graphene. Nokia prototypes. Can make even the battery flexible
Q: Do we want bendable phones?
|ia||Staples Announces In-Store 3-D Printing Service||http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/staples-goes-3-d/|
|- Staples is bringing 3D printing to some of its stores|
- New service called "Staples Easy 3D" lets customers upload designs to the Staples website then pick up the printouts or have them shipped
- Staples is using 3D printers by Mcor
- Mcor claims photo realistic printing in a demo video show off a printout of a human head, a skull, and a printout of a map (complete with topographic elements)
- First launches in Belgum and Netherlands in Q1 2013, will be rolled out to other countries afterward
Q: Is this move by Staples going to make 3D printing more mainstream?
|sl||Scoop: Key pricing and launch details of Redbox Instant revealed||http://gigaom.com/video/redbox-instant-pricing-device-support-launch-date/|
|- Redbox Instant by Verizon currently being tested in private beta, no public details. GigaOm found a descriptive help section related to the beta with screenshots that is publicly available on the web. |
- Subscriptions start at $6/month for unlimited access subscription video catalog. catalog expected to be smaller than Netflix’s, but includes some fairy new releases.
- $8/month membership adds 4 Redbox credits to the streaming package that can be redeemed for Redbox DVD rentals. Users can reserve their DVDs from the Instant website and mobile apps. Credits expire at the end of each month.
- Redbox Instant also offers VOD rentals/sales of newer titles starting at $0.99, which can be downloaded to some devices for offline access.
|- Beta testers are being told that they won’t be able to access the DVDs included in their subscriptions at some kiosks until December 17.|
- not just for Verizon customers, but at first available on the web, Android and iOS, the Xbox 360 and select Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. Customers will be able to register up to 5 devices to access the service.
|tm||Forget Disclosure — Hackers Should Keep Security Holes to Themselves||http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/11/hacking-choice-and-disclosure/|
|Andrew Auernheimer AKA Weev has an opinion piece on Wired arguing against disclosing security holes|
- Weev found >10K email addresses on ATT website and siclosed to journalist. Guilty of computer intrusion - he is appealing
- Cites researcher Dan Guido reverse engineered all mass exploit tools
-None of the exploits used for mass exploitation were developed by malware authors.
I-nstead, all of the exploits came from “Advanced Persistent Threats” (an industry term for nation states) or from whitehat disclosures.
-Whitehat disclosures accounted for 100 percent of the logic flaws used for exploitation.
- Criminals actually “prefer whitehat code,” according to Guido, because it works far more reliably than code provided from underground sources.
- Cites Antisec principle - "An exploit is a powerful weapon that should only be disclosed to an individual whom you know (through personal experience) will act in the interest of social justice."
|Full, Responsible, Antisec|
The theory behind full disclosure is that releasing vulnerability information immediately results in quicker fixes and better security.
like full disclosure, with the addition that all stakeholders agree to allow a period of time for the vulnerability to be patched before publishing the details.
Against the computer security industry which profits from the "protection racket" that is security software. Anti-disclosure
|Kuratas, the 13-foot mech: unleashes your inner Ripley, costs $1.35 million (video)||http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/30/kuratas-the-13-foot-mech/|
|Nintendo Wii U launched in Europe today|
|tomorrow Canadian National Day of Podcasting. It is a thing for indie podcasters, new and old to put out a show.|
|International Telecommunications Union in Dubai starts p\monday the 3rd, runs through week|
|Voicemail||Sound Cloud :)|
|How a radio station pays for streaming music online||http://soundcloud.com/tnt_voicemail/how-a-radio-station-pays-for|
|In episode 638 you discussed the possibility that the next generation of CPU's from Intel may be soldered to the motherboard and dismissed people swapping processors as a relic of the past. What about when you're building a PC for the first time? Manufacturers are not going to want to make a SKU for every possible CPU/motherboard combination, so you will have a limited set of motherboard/CPU combinations to choose from. |
For example, I upgraded my PC a few months ago by getting an i3 2120 and pairing it with the cheapest motherboard I could find with USB 3, SATA 6, and good Linux support. Because the 2120 is a fairly low-end part in the range of Ivy Bridge processors, a Broadwell scenario may have only paired the 2120 with older USB 2 or SATA 3 technology and may use hardware that is known to be glitchy under not-windows. Also, during this holiday deal season, there will be fewer options for finding deals if each motherboard manufacturer makes a few boards for each processor.
I was looking for a cheap upgrade by recycling parts and moving on to a generation of hardware, but soon we may be stuck with AMD if we want flexibility in upgrades or system building. And AMD have stopped fighting for top spot against Intel, choosing to focus on APU's that are better suited in the cheap Walamrt PC, laptop, and HTPC segment of the market.
Mike in Kalamazoo
|Hello TNT Crew,|
I think the biggest problem with soldering CPU's to motherboards is not in limiting hobbiests from swapping them out, but in limiting the choice of what consumers can purchase to begin with.
Right now, we can purchase a given CPU and pick from any variety of mobo's with different manufacturers, features, and costs. If CPUs are soldered on, it seems like there won't be as much choice when building a system. I doubt manufacturers will just solder an unlimited supply of every combination CPU/Mobo.
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Best of submissions||http://twit.tv/bestof|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Wil Harris|
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media downloads at pond5.com/tnt.
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
This episode is brought to you by:
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24
● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
This episode of [SHOW NAME] is brought to you by Audible.com.
· Audible.com is a leading provider of audiobooks with more than 100,000
downloadable titles across all types of literature, including fiction, non- fiction and
· For listeners of [SHOW NAME], Audible is offering a free audiobook to
give you a chance to try out their service.
· One audiobook you may consider downloading is [select an audiobook and say why
you like it and/or why they might like it]
· To download this audiobook for free, or another
one of your choice, go to audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
Note: two credit books (very small percentage, but Game of Thrones for example is two
credits) are not eligible through the free trial offer. The free trial gives a person one credit, so
they can’t select a two credit book for their trial.
99.5% of books are one credit. However it is best to check on Audible.com before suggesting a
book for the free trial offer to make sure it is a one credit book.