|Samsung's making a smartwatch, HTC can't get parts for the One, Google wants to unify all chats http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Ryan Block, Co-founder of gdgt, gdgt.com|
LOWER THIRD URL: gdgt.com, @ryan
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
ShareFile. Enhance your work flow- send files of almost any size easily and securely with ShareFile, by Citrix. Try ShareFile today! For a 30 Day Free Trial, go to ShareFile.com, click the radio microphone and enter TNT!
Squarespace, the all-in-one platform that makes it fast and easy to create a professional website, blog, portfolio, and now...an online store! Check out their NEW commerce solution so you can start selling stuff immediately. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase on new accounts, go to Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT3.
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media files, go to pond5.com/tnt.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Samsung's working on a wristwatch. It's not a rumor or a leak, it's straight from the mouth of Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business. Lee told Bloomberg "We've been preparing the watch product for so long.We are working very hard to get ready for it." Lee gave no other details. Apple has been rumored to have 100 developers working on a watch of their own but has given no official word.||http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-19/samsung-preparing-wristwatch-as-it-races-apple-for-sales.html|
|sl||HTC's flagship phone the HTC One, has been delayed to late March/ early April in some markets because of issues with its supply chain, and what executives say is HTC no longer being regarded as a tier-one company. this is not good news... HTC's profits fell a whopping 91 percent in Q4, the company needs a hit smartphone, and samsung's galaxy s4 is already in the batting cage, warming up.||http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/19/htc-one-delayed-due-to-suppliers-who-think-its-not-a-tier-one-customer/|
|ia||Researchers at ReVuln found a hole in EA's Origin that could put its 10 million users at risk. The hole would allow someone to swap out games for malicious code based on the way Origin handles links. The researchers say that there's no evidence that the hole has been exploited in the wild. EA is looking into this vulnerability.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21842327|
|tm||EA CEO John Riccitiello will resign from his position on March 30. In a resignation letter, Riccitiello acknowledged the company has fallen short of the internal operating plan set one year ago and took responsibility for the miss. EA issued a warning to investors that they would be at the low end or fall short of Q4 earnings forecasts. Former CEO and Chairman of the Board Larry Probst will take over as executive chairman and lead the search for Riccitiello's replacement. Riccitiello himself gets the standard 24-month severance pay we all get when we fail our companies.||http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/18/us-electronicarts-ceo-idUSBRE92H0Z120130318|
|sl||geek.com reports that Google is working to combine its existing communication platforms into one unified service...called "Babble". the service will merge Google Talk, Google+ Messenger, google Voice, and any other chat service used by Google. Babble will be threaded across existing Google services, pulling messages into one place. if it can feel more like facebook messenger and less like apple imessage, i smell a hit!||http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50455/google-unified-chat-chat-service|
|ia||Ya got trouble, right here in Chrome OS City. That's trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Pinkie Pie who submitted a bug with Google showing an unreliable exploit in Chrome OS at Pwnium 3. Pinkie Pie will be paid $40,000 for finding this flaw. Google patched these potential problems on March 15th with an update to Chrome OS.||http://www.zdnet.com/googles-chrome-os-partially-hacked-7000012780/|
|tm||Rules of war always seem odd, since partisans and terrorists don't follow them, but they are important for relations among nation-states. Now NATO has published a handbook on the rules of cyberwar, setting out how international law applies to state-sponsored online attacks. The manual says Governments must avoid attacks on civilians, hospitals, nuclear power stations, dams and dykes. The manual also provides for conventional force responses to the most damaging cyberattacks. The manual is not official NATO policy but considered advisory.||http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/9939401/Rules-of-cyberwar-set-out-for-first-time-in-Nato-manual.html|
|tm||The Communications, Security, Reliability, and Interoperability Council (CSRIC) submitted its cybersecurity controls recommendations to the FCC, but it won't include 20 critical security controls like limiting admin privileges, requiring backups, pen testing or network access restriction. The list was supported by the NSA, Department of Defense and companies like McAfee and Mandiant, but was blocked by the US Telecom Association. The telecoms feared an undue burden could be placed on them if they were forced to follow the security practices.||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121582/telecoms-oppose-strict-cybersecurity-controls-get-them-removed-from-fcc-report|
|ia||Alright, gumshoes. It's time to take a look at the crime blotter. After being the victim of a denial of service attack, security reporter Brian Krebs did some detective work. He may have been hacked by someone known as Phobia or potentially "Team Hype." Team Hype would have an issue with Krebs since Krebs reported that Team Hype stole then sold Xbox Live gamertags of Microsoft employees. Phobia is part of Team Hype. Krebs received Phobia's phone number, called him and found out that Phobia is 20-year old Ryan Stevenson. Stevenson takes credit for hacking Mat Honan's information as well.||http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/same-hacker-may-have-targeted-ars-reporter-krebs-and-wireds-honan/|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Ryan Block, Co-founder of gdgt, Editor Emeritus of Engadget|
LOWER THIRD URL: engadget.com, gdgt.com, @ryan
|tm||Samsung Preparing Wristwatch as It Races Apple for Sales||http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-19/samsung-preparing-wristwatch-as-it-races-apple-for-sales.html|
|Samsung VP confirms that the company is developing a smart watch||http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2013/03/19/samsung-vp-confirms-that-the-company-is-developing-a-smart-watch/||http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/samsung-smart-watch-galaxy-confirmed-110764|
|Samsung working on wristwatch to rival Apple's||http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/19/us-samsung-watch-idUSBRE92I08Q20130319|
|Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung’s mobile business to Bloomberg:|
“We’ve been preparing the watch product for so long. We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them.”
- Samsung rumor: Codename Altius, AltiusOS Beta, music, email
- Apple rumor: 100-person team, make and receive calls, check map, pedometer, heart rate
- Samsung had 29 percent of global smartphone unit shipments in the fourth quarter, compared with 21 percent for Apple, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
|sl||HTC's Rollout of Flagship Smartphone Delayed||http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887323415304578369403991284398-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwOTExNDkyWj.html|
|- HTC at unveiling in Feb the One would be available in March in more than 80 countries through more than 185 carriers|
- now HTC One being pushed back due to component shortages like metal casings and camera parts
- Vodafone said HTC has notified them of shipment delays. Best Buy said in a statement date has been pushed from 3rd week in march
- HTC held a 4.6% share of the global smartphone market in 2012, marking a sharp decline from 8.8% in 2011 (samsung 30%, Apple 19%).
- sources tell wsj in late 2012, CEO Peter Chou told senior executives he would step down if the HTC One doesn't succeed
|WSJ quotes an HTC exec: "The company has a problem managing its component suppliers as it has changed its order forecasts drastically and frequently following last year's unexpected slump in shipments. HTC has had difficulty in securing adequate camera components as it is no longer a tier-one customer."|
- Galaxy S4 coming to market in April, is HTC screwed?
|ia||Google to combine all its chat services under Babble||http://androidcommunity.com/google-to-combine-all-its-chat-services-under-babble-20130318/|
|Google expected to unify chat under the name Babble||http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/google-expected-to-unify-chat-under-the-name-babble-20130318/||SOURCE|
|- Geek.com says that Google's going to combine its chat services under the name "Google Babble"|
- Services: Google Talk, Hangout, Voice, Messenger, Chat for Drive collaboration, and Google Talk for G+ - They all function just a little differently from one another and they don't talk to each other
- How the new service would work: One chat window across all of Google's products. The same features would be available everywhere - Examples: share photos in chat windows like you would in G+ Messenger. Start a hangout from your contact list
- Conversations would be threaded across all services
- No official timeframe for the release of this rebranding has been made clear, but Geek.com was told to expect a presentation on the unification of these products during Google IO this year.
Q: Would a move like this give SMS a run for its money?
|Thanks to thewalk1100 at the TNT Reddit!|
|tm||Electronic Arts CEO quits, takes blame for missed targets||http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/18/us-electronicarts-ceo-idUSBRE92H0Z120130318|
|EA CEO John Riccitiello stepping down on March 30th||http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4120332/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-stepping-down-on-march-30th|
|EA CEO John Riccitiello steps down||http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/18/4120344/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-quits|
|John Riccitiello stepping down March 30 |
- takes responsibility for falling "short of the internal operating plan"
- market value has declined 2/3 since April 2007
- Monday warned investors Q4 earnings will be "at the low end of previously issued guidance"
- Easy to blame SimCity (sold 1 million copies), but disappointing Medal of Honor: Warfighter holiday sales more at fault.
- Failed to ship NBA simulation game past 3 years, Star Wars: TOR,
- Mike Hickey, an analyst at National Alliance Capital Markets, said: Riccitiello has had "a track record of mis-executions,"
- former CEO and chairman of the board, Larry Probst, has been appointed as executive chairman
Q: Can new hardware, or Steam boxes boost sales again or is mobile the new way?
|sl||Tensions Rise Between Facebook, Developers||http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887324392804578363033497647670-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwODExNDgyWj.html|
|- wsj has story about vintage camera app getting blocked from fb. Facebook told developer Antoine Morcos too many users had complained about Vintage Camera. He appealed, arguing his app fielded less than three complaints for every 1,000 photos shared, but Facebook didn't budge. "Users were sharing as much as 6,000 photos per day on Facebook; now access is blocked."|
- fb says it's curbing spam and restricting apps that aren't adding sufficient value to the network.
- voxer blocked, vine blocked.
- messageme can no longer access fb friends lists- Arjun Sethi, a MessageMe co-founder, said Facebook cited a section of its policy that addressed restricting apps that copied a core Facebook product or service. rumors that messageme had turned down acquisition offer from fb
- devs agree fb is cutting off access in general, wants services to pay fb for better distribution
|FB has internal system called "Stripe" monitors posts published by apps. If too many users report spam from an app, Facebook will restrict its distribution. Since last year—when Facebook began a major push to squash spam—complaints about spam have dropped 90%. Publishers and advertisers contend Facebook was suppressing their content.|
|ia||NYT: ABC crafting live streaming app for tablets, phones||http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/19/abc-streaming-mobile-tablets/|
|ABC Works on an App for Live Streaming Shows to Mobile Devices||http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/business/media/abc-works-on-an-app-for-streaming-shows-to-mobile-devices.html?smid=tw-NYTimesAd&seid=auto&_r=3&|
|- The NYT reports ABC is working on an app for live streaming shows to mobile|
- The app could become available to some subscribers this year
- ABC would be the first American broadcasters to provide a live stream of national and local programming
- So since ABC broadcasts over the air for free, anyone can use the app, right?
- Not so fast. NYT says the app "will live stream ABC programming to the phones and tablets of cable and satellite subscribers..."
- The "Watch ABC" app was first mentioned 9 months ago
Q: On one hand, it's a broadcast network pushing forward, on the other hand, it could require authentication - what do you make of this move?
|- Complexities: contracts of certain shows written before streaming to mobile devices were possible. Local stations may provide pushback|
- ABC is talking with stations on how to include them in the app
- On the Hulu front - where Disney is a co-owner. The latest reported plan is that Disney or NewsCorp could buy out the co-owners
- Disney is free w/ads. NewsCorp big on Hulu Plus
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story, put your initials to the left of the story you like best||VIDEO|
|Watch Reddit’s New Adorably Awesome YouTube Series “Explain It Like I’m Five”||http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/19/watch-reddits-new-adorably-awesome-youtube-series-explain-like-im-five/|
|Microsoft to push Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to users starting today March 19||http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-push-windows-7-service-pack-1-to-users-starting-march-19-7000012769/|
|tomorrow Oracle has earnings report|
|also tomorrow and running through wed is GigaOm's structure data conference in NYC||http://event.gigaom.com/structuredata/?utm_source=techmeme&utm_medium=eventpost&utm_campaign=structuredata2013|
|T-Mobile Plans March 26 Event to Tout Big Changes Coming||http://allthingsd.com/20130318/t-mobile-plans-march-26-event-to-tout-big-changes-coming/|
|I was watching episode 712 and Tom stated that it would be possible print an entire gun. This would be impossible It will be possible to print parts for a gun, and maybe even ammo, but there is one problem with printing a gun. The barrel. A barrel is a special type of steel. If the barrel is too hard, the minute the charge is detonated the barrel would explode. If it is too malleable (or soft) The barrel will expand too much and allow too much gas to pass between the bullet and barrel.|
Any 3d printing technology will have to deposit bits of metal, then fuse them together. This would be similar to cast steel as the grain of the steel would be very inconstant. This would make the barrel fairly brittle which would be very bad, as it could also lead to barrel explosion. The only way to get steel to have a consistent grain and to not be too soft or too hard is through a complex procedure of heating and cooling.
Not to mention that any 3d printing technology would likely not mach the accuracy of a good late [I think he means "lathe" here]. This would cause the gun to be very inaccurate.
It is also a bit ignorant to act like 3d printers will now allow criminals to make their own guns. All one really needs to make a gun is a lathe to make the barrel and a small foundry to cast the metal parts. The reason criminals don't do this is the same reason that criminals will not start making 3d guns. It is easier to steel a gun then it is to build a gun.
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Nicole Lee|
Most business emails include some sort of attachment
o Documents, spreadsheets, PowerPoints, contracts…
We need that information to be received, get into the right hands and remain confidential
o But it doesn’t always...
That’s why ShareFile is important to every business
ShareFile, by Citrix sends your attachments as secure links
o So you can send files of almost any size
o With the highest degree of security
o And receive notifications when your files have been opened and by who
ShareFile is easy to use and integrates into any business
Plus, with ShareFile you can access files from anywhere –laptop, tablet or smartphone
I highly recommend ShareFile
If you’re not using ShareFile yet, you need to sign up for my FREE trial NOW – no credit card required, nothing to lose!
You’ll see why millions of professionals rely on it everyday
Call to Action (Verbatim)
Get started TODAY with my special 30 day FREE trial
o Go to ShareFile.com, click on the microphone at the top of the homepage and enter, TNT
o That’s ShareFile.com and type in TNT
This episode is brought to you by:
Squarespace, the all-in-one platform that makes it fast and easy to create a professional
website, blog, portfolio, and now... an online store!
Squarespace introduces a NEW commerce solution that allows you to instantly create a
store and start selling products.
Squarespace Commerce provides a powerful and flexible e-commerce solution.
● Integrated to work with every Squarespace template, allowing sales for both
physical and digital goods (for example, you can sell music cds or MP3s,
hardcover books or e-books).
● Fast merchant account set-up so that you can accept payments right away
(credit or debit cards).
● Single interface for order management: tracking orders, providing
customer email updates, printing shipping labels and adding coupons.
● Squarespace Commerce is included with a Business Plan subscription,
which starts at $24 per month when you sign up for a year (or $30 for
Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.Squarespace - 29
● Squarespace has developed templates with mobile-ready responsive designs - -
which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any device
(smartphone, tablet or computer).
● And of course, this means you get a mobile ready store with the new commerce
Squarespace is fast and easy to use.
● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality.
Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
Squarespace is an all-in-one platform integrating all your website needs- -
domains, design, development, commerce, hosting and 24/7 customer support.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT3 and get
10% off your first purchase on new accounts (includes monthly and annual
● And don’t forget about free domain registrations for annual plan customer
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT3
● Everything you need to create an exceptional website!
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4 - Rev. 1All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media files at pond5.com/tnt
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.