|The People(Browsr) vs. Twitter, Who's the worst carrier in the US? How to get 10 Sony films in 4K!! http://live.twit.tv||GUEST: Ken Denmead, New York Times Bestselling Author, Editor of GeekDad blog|
LOWER THIRD URL: www.wired.com/geekdad/, @fitzwillie
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media downloads, go to pond5.com/tnt
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Audible.com. To download a free audiobook of your choice go to: audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Internet monitoring firm Renesys reported today that Internet and mobile phone systems in Syria became unreachable as of 12:26 PM Syria time. This effectively removed Syria from the Internet. The BBC noted that the Syrian government had previously cut off access during major operations in the civil war there.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20546302|
|sl||This year's Consumer Reports mobile carrier satisfaction survey is out, and Verizon has once again been rated the best.... of the major providers, getting high marks for voice and data service quality, knowledge of staff, and issue resolution. Sprint and T-Mobile were next, with everybody's least favorite carrier AT&T staying in last position for the 3rd year in a row. In fact, all but Verizon scored pretty badly on voice service quality, and only four points separated them in the ratings.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/consumer-reports-verizon-ranked-the-best-major-us-carrier-this/|
|ia||Good news for RIM! Goldman Sachs upgraded RIM's shares and said there's a 30% chance BlackBerry 10 phones will be a success - that led to RIM's stock price to experience an increase of almost 10%. In more RIM news, developers will be able to get their hands on BlackBerry 10's SDK gold release on December 11th and can register for RIM's $10,000 incentive for certified apps. RIM is also offering some new hardware to developers - a handset with a QWERTY keyboard.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/28/rim-bb-jam-asia-blacberry-world-developer-guarantee/|
|RIM Stock Soars After Goldman Sachs Upgrade||http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/rim-stock-soars-goldman-sachs-upgrade-17837548#.ULeJUod2y1s|
|tm||Tony Fadell, CEO of Nest and former godfather of Apple's iPod was apparently among those cheering when Scott Forstall's departure from Apple was announced. Fadell told the BBC that Forstall “got what he deserved,” when he was forced to leave Apple. So don't bother handing in that application at Nest, Scott.||http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/scott-forstall-deserved-to-be-ousted-from-apple-says-former-apple-exec/|
|sl||Sick of your fitbit? Your Fuelband? Your Up? Well maybe Basis Science will help you get back on physical track... the $199 Basis watchband contains a three-axis accelerometer, and optical sensor to monitor your heart rate, perspiration levels and both ambient and user temperature. The water-resistant band connects via bluetooth or USB and can run for four days on a single charge. Android and iOS apps are in development.||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3704258/basis-fitness-tracking-band-pre-order-price|
|ia||It's been over a month since Windows 8 launched, how's that PC market doing now? NPD took a look at a four week period and found Windows 8 did not lead to increased sales of PCs and Windows sales were down 21% compared to the same period examined last year. More troubling for Microsoft is of Windows devices sold, only 58% of were Windows 8 machines. Taking a look to the past - one month after Windows 7 was introduced, it accounted for 83% of Windows sales.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/29/npd-u-s-windows-device-sales-down-21-on-last-year-windows-8-tablet-sales-almost-non-existent/|
|tm||Twitter's increasingly restrictive data access policies have landed it in court. PeopleBrowsr won a temporary restrainign order against Twitter to keep the so-called firehose of data open. PeopleBrowsr provides data analytics for its Kred site as well as big clients like The DoD and Dell. Twitter said its a simple matter of contract law and Twitter's contract with PeopleBrowsr is over.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/28/peoplebrowsr-vs-twitter/|
|sl||Apple's iPhone 5 is this much closer to launching in China, discovers the Wall Street Journal. The China Telecommunication Equipment Certification Center has approved the iPhone 5 for a "network access" license in the country. Apple is currently planning to launch the iPhone 5 on China Telecom and China Unicom networks. The company is reportedly hoping to bring the device to China Mobile, the country's largest carrier, but so far no deal has been announced.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57556124-37/iphone-5-clears-network-hurdle-on-path-to-china-launch/|
|tm||Score one for the MPAA. Newsbin2, a usenet indexing site, has decided to cease operations. Newzbin2 succeeded the original Newzbin site which was taken down after legal action by the international arm, the MPA. The site had been ordered blocked by ISPs in the UK, and the MPA was suing paypal and another payments provider for owrking with Newzbin2. The site claimed to have been DMCA compliant, but the MPA continued to target it.||http://torrentfreak.com/newzbin2-the-mpaas-usenet-enemy-1-calls-it-quits-121129/|
|ia||The big complaint about 4K displays - there's no content! Sony's figured this out and is bundling a 4K video player with its $25,000 4K television. It's a hard disc server that will come preloaded with 10 Sony pictures like The Amazing Spider-Man and Taxi Driver along with 4K video shorts. The small catch is you have to be a US customer to get the preloaded content.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/sony-4k-ultra-hd-video-player-phil-molyneux/|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Ken Denmead, New York Times Bestselling Author, Editor of GeekDad blog|
LOWER THIRD URL: www.wired.com/geekdad/
|tm||PeopleBrowsr wins temporary injunction against Twitter||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57556103-93/peoplebrowsr-wins-temporary-injunction-against-twitter/|
|Twitter’s Response To PeopleBrowsr Lawsuit: ‘This Is Contracts 101′||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/28/twitter-responds-to-peoplebrowsr/|
|Data Nerds Revolt! PeopleBrowsr Takes Twitter to Court Over Alleged Anticompetitive Actions.||http://allthingsd.com/20121128/data-nerds-revolt-peoplebrowsr-takes-twitter-to-court-over-alleged-anticompetitive-actions/|
|Twitter Certified Products Program||https://dev.twitter.com/programs/twitter-certified-products/products#Certified-Analytics-Products||SOURCE|
|PeopleBrowsr - social media analytics firm (make Kred), won temp restraining to continue acess to Twitter Firehose|
-sued Twitter in San Francisco Superior Court - hearing scheduled for January 8
- $1 million/yr for firehose access. 1 year term , 30-day term.
- Certified Products Program(about 20): advised in May: Gnip or DataSift (Topsy?) Not all the data
- PeopleBrowsr said it 'relied on Twitter's promise of openness"; CEO Jodee Rich won't fulfill contracts with DoD, Dell, etc... From filing: "When I asked Twitter’s lead negotiator, Kelton Lynn, aboutthe provision, he told me that Twitter would respect PeopleBrowsr’s rights as a developer, andthat the provision merely was intended to make it easier to terminate if PeopleBrowsr engaged inunacceptable conduct." -- Also describe "confidential info" being given to Twitter adn then denied partnership
- Twitter said its "Contracts 101" "PeopleBrowsr asks this Court to compel Twitter to continue do business with it — not on the terms Twitter offers to PeopleBrowsr and its competitors, but rather on whatever terms PeopleBrowsr demands."
|sl||AT&T yet again the worst-rated carrier in U.S.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57556144-94/at-t-yet-again-the-worst-rated-carrier-in-u.s/|
|- Consumer Reports released annual carrier ratings, surveys based on quaility of voice, data, and customer service across the wireless space. AT&T in last place 3 years in a row|
- Verizon got strong marks on voice and data, top of the big carriers. AT&T's 4G LTE network beat Verizon though. Sprint and T-Mobile hovered between the two.
- smaller carriers placed higher overall: Consumer Cellular, Credo Mobile, US Cellular. Consumer Cellula & Credo, are mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), rely on other carriers' networks to deliver their service. Consumer Cellular relies on AT&T's network. Credo uses Sprint's network.
|sl||Basis fitness band uses an array of sensors to help you build healthy habits for $199||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3704258/basis-fitness-tracking-band-pre-order-price|
|First Look At The Scanadu SCOUT, A Gadget To Bring Your Vital Sign Data To Your Smartphone||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/29/first-look-at-the-scanadu-scout-a-gadget-that-brings-your-vital-sign-data-to-your-smartphone/|
|- $199 Basis band — available for pre-order today. water resistent, 4 day charge. ios & android apps in works, bluetooth built in|
- 3-axis accelerometer, optical sensor uses reflected light to monitor the heart rate of the wearer, monitors perspiration level both ambient and user temperature. can track activity, sleep quality, resting heart rate, & more
- shown off at CES got a software overhaul this year. displays shows the time, calories burned, heart rate, and number of steps taken that day. connects to computer via USB
- Users get access to 10 different types of activities to set as personal goals —# of hours you've slept, the calories you've burned, or the numbers of steps taken in a day.
- can't set too many goals at once to avoid burnout. Basis CEO Jef Holove told the verge "People set goals based on who they wish they were," he said, "not who they are."
|Scanadu has 3 products ready for next year: |
Scanadu SCOUT: monitors vital health signs in 10 secs. little puck you hold between 2 fingers and hold up to your temple. monitors patterns. alerts when sees pattern, something to watch. pairs to smartphone app via bluetooth.
. Pulse transit time
• Heart rate (pulse rate)
• Electrical heart activity
• Heart rate variability
• Blood oxygenation (pulse oximetry)
Project ScanaFlu- an automatic saliva testing device that scans for afflictions such as Strep Throat
Project ScanaFlo- urine testing device that looks at things such as dehydration and pregnancy.
- products yet to pass FDA inspections, no pricing info
|ia||Sony's 4K Ultra HD Video Player revealed, COO Phil Molyneux tells us what 'only Sony can do'||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/sony-4k-ultra-hd-video-player-phil-molyneux/|
|Sony packages Ultra HD movie system with 4K TVs||http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017388/sony-packages-ultra-hd-movie-system-with-4k-tvs.html|
|- Sony's bundling a 4K video player with its $25k 84-inch television|
- the 4K player comes with 10 movies and a bunch of shorts
- Some A-list movies like Amazing Spider-Man and Taxi Driver. Some not so much like "That's My Boy" and "The Other Guys."
- The player is updatable for future content
- Additionally the "4K Ultra HD Home Experience" also includes an Xperia Tablet S that serves as a remote control.
- Engadget talked to Sony Electronics COO Phil Molyneux (Molly-new) about the 4K Ultra HD Video Player and said it's something "only Sony can do."
Q: Does this show that Kaz Hirai's "One Sony" approach is actually coming together? Is this the kind of thing that will bring Sony back as a leader?
|some weasly language -- mastered in 4K|
|tm||TIME WARNER CEO: I Hope Apple Makes A TV||http://www.businessinsider.com/time-warner-ceo-i-hope-apple-makes-a-tv-2012-11|
|Time Warner CEO Bewkes wants Apple to build a TV||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3705360/time-warner-ceo-bewkes-apple-tv|
|Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes says things|
Dec. 2010 on Netflix: "“It’s a little bit like, is the Albanian army going to take over the world?”
Dec. 2011 on Netflix "Netflix is our friend." "The Albanian army did actually take over the world. Alexander the Great...close."
Sep. 2010 on Apple "How can you justify renting your first-run TV shows individually for 99 cents an episode and thereby jeopardize the sale of the same shows as a series to branded networks that pay hundreds of millions of dollars and make those shows available to loyal viewers for free?"
-Speaking at Business Insider’s Ignition conference, Bewkes said, "I hope they do [make a TV]… Apple is a great device company." He further lauded Apple for adding differentiation to product categorizes that had become commoditized. Later, the CEO added that "they bring good interface and navigation skills," which he believes could help solve fundamental problems with the TV business
|ia||Like it or not, nonreplaceable CPUs may be the future of desktops||http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/like-it-or-not-nonreplaceable-cpus-may-be-the-future-of-desktops/|
|Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs||http://www.zdnet.com/intel-preparing-to-put-an-end-to-user-replaceable-cpus-7000008024/|
|Intel kills off the desktop, PCs go with it||http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/|
|- ZDNet and Semiaccurate both report that Intel's Broadwell chips will have to be soldered directly to motherboards |
- So the processor wouldn't be as easily user replaceable
- Both ZDNet and SemiAccurate got their information from PC OEMs and motherboard makers
- Broadwell would launch next year
- ArsTechnica thinks the move suggests Broadwell isn't meant for traditional tower computers and Broadwell will focus on mobile PCs
- ArsTechnica also points out that Intel's mobile and desktop linesups have been split before (expectation that Haswell with its socket stays in traditional desktops, Broadwell in AiOs)
Q: Some are calling this the death of the desktop. What do you think?
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|Microsoft trolls Internet Explorer haters with latest browser ad||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3705902/microsoft-internet-explorer-commenters-ad||VIDEO|
|Happy Birthday Pong (40 years old)||http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/153448|
|Galaxy Note II launches on Verizon Wireless with LTE||http://androidcommunity.com/galaxy-note-ii-launches-on-verizon-wireless-with-lte-20121129/|
|tomorrow the 30th running through sasturday the 1st is the Facebook/Windows 8 hackathon||http://fbwindows8hack.eventbrite.com/|
|"Six strikes" copyright enforcement postponed until 2013||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/six-strikes-copyright-enforcement-postponed-until-2013/|
|Voicemail||Sound Cloud :)|
|Are the Windows 8 license numbers skewed?||http://soundcloud.com/tnt_voicemail/are-the-windows-8-license|
|Hey TNT doods,|
Love the show! I listen every day as I commute home up I-95 (thank you for making that drive enjoyable).
It seems to me that there's a parallel between Windows 8's Metro UI and OS X's Dashboard. Both can be called up with a quick keybind and both display at-a-glance information on whatever you want. Both run, essentially, 'mobile' software - OS X widgets are remarkably similar to iOS apps and Metro apps represent Microsoft's mobile push.
The difference between these is how they're implemented. Metro is everything Microsoft wants you to experience whether you want to or not. Dashboard is a tool, called up FROM THE DESKTOP (the reverse of Metro!). One can get by without Dashboard... not so with Metro.
Just a thought that occurred to me. Thanks guys!
Dan from Nashua, NH
|Dear TNT crew,|
Great show, keep up the good work.
In episode 636, the randomizer, you spoke about the gym in the UK that uses the workout energy to generate electricity. The conversation moved to how providing a tangible energy benefit is an additional incentive for people to exercise.
I think the next step should be to turn it into a competition / peer pressure / guilt trip sort of effort. Public items, such as street lamps, are tagged with people's names similar to the "Adopt a highway" signs you see for groups responsible cleaning up roadside trash. Then that person is responsible for charging up the lamp. They could do this by logging onto a machine with a keycard and having their generated electricity allocated to their resource. You could also form teams or even have businesses sponsor teams.
Ok, so this started out as a joke, but after writing it out, now it actually seems like a good idea to me.
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Darren Kitchen|
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media downloads at pond5.com/tnt.
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
This episode is brought to you by:
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24
● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
This episode of [SHOW NAME] is brought to you by Audible.com.
· Audible.com is a leading provider of audiobooks with more than 100,000
downloadable titles across all types of literature, including fiction, non- fiction and
· For listeners of [SHOW NAME], Audible is offering a free audiobook to
give you a chance to try out their service.
· One audiobook you may consider downloading is [select an audiobook and say why
you like it and/or why they might like it]
· To download this audiobook for free, or another
one of your choice, go to audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
Note: two credit books (very small percentage, but Game of Thrones for example is two
credits) are not eligible through the free trial offer. The free trial gives a person one credit, so
they can’t select a two credit book for their trial.
99.5% of books are one credit. However it is best to check on Audible.com before suggesting a
book for the free trial offer to make sure it is a one credit book.