|What's the Surface Pro good for? Next Xbox might kill used games, Giant ISP to conquer Europe http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Jason Hiner, EIC, TechRepublic.com|
LOWER THIRD URL: techrepublic.com, @jasonhiner
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Squarespace, the fast and easy way to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase on new accounts, go to Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT2. And they recently launched a developer platform for complete code control.
The Resumator. Streamline hiring and increase traffic to job postings with The Resumator - - the hiring solution used by today’s fastest growing companies. For a free trial, go to theresumator.com/tnt.
RingCentral. We do everything in the cloud, that’s why I love my cloud-based phone system by
RingCentral. Zero startup costs and RingCentral is $20/month per user. Try it now with
a 30 day risk-free trial and buy one desk phone and get a second phone free! (up to 20
phones). Call 800-543-9980 or visit RingCentral.com and use our promo code TWiT.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Like addictive personalities at a support group meeting, more large organizations are admitting they've been hacked. Now it's the US Federal Reserve System. The US Central Bank told Reuters it has contacted individuals who's personal information was involved. Crackers posted a list of what appear to be the info for 4,000 US bank executives. The Fed told internal employees that passwords were not compromised.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21351081|
|sl||Twitter's new video clip sharing app Vine, which has already had its share of controversy after complaints that the content was often graphic and some pornography even made it into an editor's pick - has had its age rating increased to 17+ on Apple's store. Vine isn't being singled out though - Tumblr and photo-sharing service 500px have also seen their iOS apps given mature rating labels over the past couple weeks.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21351090|
|ia||Bloomberg reports that Google is looking into investing $50 million into Vevo. The deal would give Google an ownership interest in Vevo of less than 10%. The investment would be part of a larger deal where Vevo videos would remain on YouTube. --- Now over to Tom with sports.||http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-06/google-said-in-talks-to-invest-50-million-in-vevo-site.html|
|tm||Anybody involved in programming and encryption probably ends up becoming a little bit of a fan of prime numbers. So.. Hey Prime Number fans, we have a new 17-million digit monster at the top of the heap! Curtis Cooper at the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, Go Mules! - found the new prime while participating in the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search. The number is the 48th Mersenne prime ever found and the 14th discovered by GIMPS.||http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23138-new-17milliondigit-monster-is-largest-known-prime.html|
|sl||Edge magazine is reporting that the next version of Xbox will require an internet connection with activation codes for games on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, and that it's likely that purchased games will not be able to be resold. Sounds like a good way to prevent piracy, but a great way to upset a lot of gamers. Edge also backs up previous rumors that an AMD CPU will power the next Xbox.||http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958672/new-xbox-always-online-game-activation-codes-rumor|
|ia||Instagram just launched a web version of its service. You'll be able to view a feed of your friends' photos just like you'd be able to on the app. However, you can't sign up for Instagram on the site and you can't upload photos from the web either.||http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/instagram-brings-photo-feed-web/t/story?id=18411568&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%2Fsection%3Fpz%3D1%26cf%3Dall%26topic%3Dtc%26ict%3Dln%23pcid%3Den_us%3Atc|
|tm||LG needs some seriously impressive hardware to get back into the thick of the smartphone race. AS Mobile World Congress approaches, LG has posted a tease to its Facebook page that says "A new series will be unveiled" promising it will have an "unexpected distinction". That's great. Hopefully the distinction won't be something nobody wants or cares about.||http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/06/lg-teaser-2013/|
|sl||Want one of those new BlackBerry devices with a physical keyboard? If you live in the US, you might have to wait until May or June. CEO Thorsten Heins says the exact release date will depend on each wireless provider, but that the BlackBerry Q10 will likely be released eight to 10 weeks after a carrier releases the Z10, blackberry's touch screen device. The Z10 is expected in the U.S. in mid-March.||http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/new_blackberry_with_keyboard_w.html|
|tm||If you're one of those people who's still worried that the end of Mac Pro sales in Europe March 1st is the sign of the end of the Pro, take heart. According to an e-mail newsletter republished by Mac4Ever, Apple told France Systèmes that a "new range of Mac Pro will be released in Spring 2013. Apple's WWDC takes place in June (usually) and June is mostly in the Spring, so there you go. Build your own Apple rumor.||http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/reseller-claims-mac-pro-coming-apple-points-to-cooks-comments/|
|ia||The High Court of Australia overturned a decision that found Google liable for deceptive practices with its paid-search ads. The original decision found Google liable for misleading ads that appeared on its site because that lower court said Google was responsible for the content of its ads. The High Court of Australia says that Google did not create those ads and it should not be responsible for their content.||http://searchengineland.com/australias-highest-court-relieves-google-of-liability-for-deceptive-search-ads-147580|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Jason Hiner, EIC, TechRepublic.com|
LOWER THIRD URL: techrepublic.com, @jasonhiner
|sl||Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro: Hotter, Thicker, Faster, Louder||http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/microsoft-surface-with-windows-8-pro-hotter-thicker-faster-louder/|
|- reviews are in. |
- Ars Technica: active digitizer in its screen supporting a touch-sensitive pen w barrel button and "eraser" tip, and it's pressure sensitive with 1,024 levels."downright inelegent. an afterthought after Surface RT. going to result in a lot of lost pens." Fan is loud.
- 3-3.5 hours with video playing full - RT by comparison is 6-6.5
"tablet perspective, Surface Pro is not acceptable. It gets too hot for a hand-held device, its battery life is woefully inadequate, and it's too thick and heavy to be comfortable to hand hold for long sessions."
- the good: The screen is pretty
Touch Covers and Type Covers are still good typing solutions
The build quality remains first-rate
Runs Windows apps with aplomb
- anandtech: kickstand isn't cutting it, hard to balance on lap, etc. says Surface pro is good for ultrabook users, not great for other tablet users
|ia||Google Said in Talks to Invest $50 Million in Vevo Site||http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-06/google-said-in-talks-to-invest-50-million-in-vevo-site.html|
|YouTube owner Google poised to take stake in Vevo||http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/17/youtube-google-stake-vevo|
|- Bloomberg reports YouTube is negotiating a $50M equity investment in Vevo|
- The deal would give Google less than 10% of the company, with Vevo being valued at $500M or more
- The investment would be part of a large deal to keep Vevo's music videos on YouTube
- YouTube and Vevo's current deal expire in April
- Vevo was formed in 2009 by Universal Music and Sony Music
- The Guardian reported a similar story back in mid-January
- Last year Vevo flirted with distribution deals with Facebook and MTV-owned Viacom
Q: Is there a downside to this potential deal?
|sl||Zynga’s Q4 Beats, Revenue Flat At $311M, Net Income Swings To A Loss Of $48.6M||http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/05/zynga-q4-2012-earnings/|
|- revenue $311M, net loss $48.6M for the quarter, with non-GAAP earnings at 1 cent per share. beat what Analysts said- had estimated Zynga’s Q4 revenue would come in at $212.1M with a loss of 3 cents per share. Bookings were down 15% year-over-year, to $261M.|
- For all of 2012, Zynga is reporting revenue of $1.28 billion (up 12 percent) and a net loss of $209 million.
- shares rallied as much as 6 percent this morning on hopes of a surprise from a strong FarmVille 2 performance. Zynga recently said the game was seeing 8 million players per day. As of 4:32pm Eastern, Zynga is up 5.84 percent in after-hours trading.
|- “The biggest highlight of the quarter was seeing our team deliver a successful sequel in FarmVille2, a next generation social game that offers cutting edge 3-D experiences loved by millions of FarmVille fans,” said founder and CEO Mark Pincus in the earnings press release.|
- almost one quarter of the company’s monthly active users are playing Zynga’s games on mobile devices.
|tm||US cable giant Liberty Global sets its sights on Europe with $23.3 billion acquisition of Virgin Media||http://thenextweb.com/uk/2013/02/06/us-cable-giant-liberty-global-sets-its-sights-on-europe-with-23-3-billion-acquisition-of-virgin-media/|
|Liberty Global Preps Bid for UK Cable Operator Virgin Media||http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/02/us-based-liberty-global-preps-bid-for-uk-cable-operator-virgin-media.html|
|Liberty Global merge with Virgin Media $23.3 billion|
- Move headquarters to UK, remain trading under Virgin Media name
- 80 percent of its revenue will come from the UK, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands
- 25 million subs 14 countries - Biggest outside China (Comcast 18.7 million)
- Virgin is hybrid cable and Fiber in UK. DirecTV satellite
- UK now an interesting battleground: John Malone vs. Rupert Murdoch -- Virgin vs. BSkyB AND Netflix vs. LoveFilm
Q: Who should Internet users want to win this battle?
|ia||New Xbox requires an always-on connection to block used games, says report||http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958672/new-xbox-always-online-game-activation-codes-rumor|
|The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect||http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/|
|- Edge magazine says that the next Xbox will require an always on Internet connection with activation codes for games. |
- The activation code would work for the first buyer of the game and not of use beyond that -- which will also rule out second-hand games
- Improved Kinect would also ship at the same time as the next Xbox
- Edge cites "sources with first-hand experience" with the next gen console
Q: Would squashing a second-hand games market have an actual effect on the next Xbox's sales?
|- More details on the next Xbox: games will be on 50GB Blu-ray discs. Edge's source says the rumored specs are accurate - an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM|
- On the developer side: several development sources tell Edge Magazine that developing for the next Xbox is more oppressive than Sony's (allowed to use only approved development libraries for MS)
|tm||Silent Circle's Latest App Democratizes Encryption||http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/02/silent_circle_s_latest_app_democratizes_encryption_governments_won_t_be.single.html||Thanks DueyDerp!|
|Pressure Increases On Silent Circle To Release Application Source Code||http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/02/06/pressure-increases-on-silent-circle-to-release-application-source-code/|
|Silent Circle adding file transfer to phone and text encrypted apps|
- iOS (Android soon)
- CEO Mike Janke, Phil Zimmermann (PGP) Jon Callas (Apple) Vincent Moscaritolo (both)
- P2P encryption up to 60 MB through a "silent text"
- File on a timer can "burn" after period of time
- S-Cloud Broker technology based on modified convergent encryption (content hash keying) BitCasa uses this
- Open to "confirmation of file" attack
- SC servers no metadata, IP logs for 7 days only, keys stored with client, no surveillance, no back doors.
- $20/month --source code will be released March or April
- human rights reporters in Afghanistan, Jordan, and South Sudan have tried Silent Text’s data transfer capability out, using it to send photos, voice recordings, videos, and PDFs securely.
- Phone and Text apps have been up since fall. Data app coming Feb. 8
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story, put your initials to the left of the story you like best||VIDEO|
|Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants||http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/05/scientists-3d-print-embryonic-stem-cells/|
|LinkedIn earnings tomorrow 2/7|
|Hey TNT crew!|
So after listening to yesterday's show (684: Ultra Everything) and hear you talk about digital wallets, I'm surprised you didn't mention one of the obvious reasons they haven't taken off yet: phone carriers. Just look at Google Wallet and tell me how accessible a mobile wallet is. some carriers won't let their users have it at all, and then waste time trying to get their own mobile wallet together, and then lag even further. I'm with Iyaz, I think only Apple has the gravitas to push something out that the general public (consumers and business) will accept, because for whatever reason Google can't/won't.
As always, love the show! You keep making 'em, we'll keep watching/listening to 'em!
Keep calm and stay shiny
|sl||We received a handwritten email about Wacom from Joe - link -->||http://i.imgur.com/26P4xge.png|
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Mike Schramm|
This episode is brought to you by:
Squarespace- - the fast and easy way to create a high-quality website, blog or online
Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace has developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive
designs - - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any
brand smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
Squarespace is fast and easy to use.
● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design, development,
hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT2 and get
10% off your first purchase on new accounts (includes monthly and annual plans)
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT2.
● Everything you need to create an exceptional website!
This episode of [show] is brought to you by The Resumator, the hiring solution for small
and fast-growing businesses.
If you’re a business executive, a hiring manager or an HR professional at your business,
listen up. Here’s a way to:
● reduce time spent on hiring tasks by 50%, and
● reduce cost per hire by as much as 85%
Try replacing your HR inbox or a clunky applicant tracking system for hiring with The
● The Resumator is an end-to-end hiring package that helps manage the entire
process of hiring - - from attracting great applicants to selecting your next
We’re beginning to use The Resumator at TWiT.
● We’ve grown significantly in the past few years, and we’re excited that it’s going
to help us be more efficient.
● Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr got off the ground with it and you can too
Here’s how The Resumator works:
● First, it helps you with sourcing - - so you can attract applicants to your jobs using
your website, free job boards, and social media connections.
● It helps you screen applicants – so you can rank, track, and discuss resumes to
identify top qualified applicants in your talent pool.
● It helps you with the interview process – you can schedule meetings with
candidates and easily collect feedback from your entire team.
● And finally, it helps you hire candidates – you can use it to collaborate and
compare to select the best person for the job.
The Resumator helps you -
● Manage the flow of incoming applicants, the pre-screening process, and
communications with candidates all in one place.
● Focus on other aspects of your business instead of spending time organizing
resumes and files.
● Have better control of the hiring process so you don't have to hire an expensive
So, if you’re a business owner, hiring manager, or HR professional and you want to
save time, money, and increase traffic to your job postings, check out The Resumator.
● For 14-day free trial, go to theresumator.com/tnt.
● After the free trial, their base package of $99 per month covers five open jobs
and five users, and they offer other packages as well.
We thank The Resumator for their support of [show].
Optional Points – What Resumator users have said
● "It was easy for an applicant to send us an email with a resume, but that didn’t
allow us to screen correctly. Now, we include screening questions ahead of time
and avoid wasted time following-up."
● "The Resumator helped us figure out the best way to manage recruiting and track
applicants. It was awesome to stop the flow of resumes coming into my email
inbox. Using The Resumator, all of the resumes and questionnaire responses got
centralized into one place."
● "Email was taking up 70% of my day just trying to locate resumes. I -wanted to
change the hiring process, and The Resumator actually gave me suggestions on
how to improve it."
The Resumator can increase traffic to your job postings by as much as 500%
● It instantly syndicates your jobs to free job boards across the Web to increase
exposure and applicants.
● It leverages direct messaging inside Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter to drive
word-of-mouth job marketing and referral hires.
● You can get free traffic before you spend hundreds on job postings.
When we built the studio, we chose to do as much as we could through the cloud. Store
documents, hold meetings. And we did not want an big old PBX system in the
basement. So when Russell, our IT guy said we could get a cloud-based phone system,
through RingCentral, it was a no-brainer. We love RingCentral. ZERO startup costs, NO
PBX hardware to install or maintain. RingCentral allows us to easily customize all of our
call handling.Our producers love getting their voicemail in her email and we can even
get all our fax messages right on our smart-phones. And now they have a new feature:
Business SMS: Now you can send text messages to customers and colleagues from
your business phone number. No more using your personal number.
RingCentral offers all-inclusive pricing, as low as $20/month per user.
You can start right now with a 30 Day Risk free trial, AND they have a special offer for
my listeners: When you buy one desk phone, you get a second phone free up to 20
So call this number, designated for my listeners: 800-543-9980, that’s 800-543-9980,
again, 800-543-9980. Or you can also go to Ringcentral.com and use promo code
RingCentral.com, promo code: TWiT.