|The Wii gets smaller, Google Play reviews get less anonymous, The Internet gets bitter... more bitter. http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Tim Stevens, Engadget, Editor-n-Chief|
LOWER THIRD URL: @Tim_Stevens, engadget.com
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media downloads, go to pond5.com/tnt
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Audible.com. To download a free audiobook of your choice go to: audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Nintendo will launch the Wii Mini December 7th in Canada for $99. The smaller version of the original Wii comes in red, with a red Wiimote and nunchuck. It also does NOT come with GameCube compatibility or Internet access. Still, Canada gets something first. It's the little things.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/|
|sl||Want to leave a review in the Google Play store? Go right ahead... just use your Google+ name and picture. Don't have a Google+ account? Well, then you can't leave a review. |
This of course means that users can no longer post negative or fake reviews without linking their personal profiles to a written contribution. So say goodbye to anonymity, and say hello to the reality of yourself.
|ia||It's time for early calendar! Friday, November 30th, you can get your hot little hands on the new super-thin Apple iMac - but only the 21.5-inch model. The larger 27-inch model will start shipping in December. That's great. Where's new iTunes?||http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/11/27/apple-to-launch-new-21-5-inch-imac-friday-27-inch-in-dec/|
|tm||Cyber Monday has come into its own. According to IBM's analysis of transactions from 500 US retailers, Internet sales jumped 30.3 percent over last year, makign it the biggest online shopping day ever. The huge sales also showed a 36 percent increase over last year's Black Friday sales.||http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/us-amazon-kindle-idUSBRE8AQ0QT20121127|
|ia||Checking in the battle of the smartphones. New data from Kantar Worldpanel says the iOS accounted for 48.1% of U.S. smartphone sales thanks to a bump by the iPhone 5. Android dipped to 46.7% of sales in the same period. All's not rosy for Apple though - in Europe, Android took 73.9% of sales in Germany and 81.7% of sales in Spain.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57554713-37/iphone-5-propels-ios-ahead-of-android-on-u.s-smartphones/||iOS not iPhone 5|
|tm||Samsung may be making a name for itself as a patent problem-maker. Ericsson has filed a lawsuit against Samsung in the United States, accusing samsung of refusing to sign Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discrimantory licensing agreements after two years of negotiations. Ericsson filed the case in the patent-friendly District Court for the Eastern Disctrict of Texas.||http://www.zdnet.com/ericsson-files-patent-lawsuit-against-samsung-7000007952/|
|tm||For awhile now, the German government has considered making search engines either remove news excerpts from results, or pay for including them. With enforcement looking mor elikely lately, Google has launched a campaign called "Defend Your Net" pointing out that its news service is ad-free, publishers can opt out, and claiming some German news organisations receive roughly half their traffic from Google searches.||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/google-defend-your-net-campaign-germany/|
|ia||Remember that digital lockpick hack we saw at Black Hat? You know, the one where folks could open your hotel room lock without needing a key? Well it's been exploited in the wild. A robbery at a Houston Hyatt looks like it was accomplished thanks to the hack. Last month, Houston officials arrested Matthew Cook for a similar crime. He's a suspect in the latest robbery.||http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/11/26/security-flaw-in-common-keycard-locks-exploited-in-string-of-hotel-room-break-ins/|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Tim Stevens, Engadget, Editor-n-Chief|
LOWER THIRD URL: @Tim_Stevens, engadget.com
|sl||Google Play bids adieu to anonymous reviews||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57554621-93/google-play-bids-adieu-to-anonymous-reviews/|
|- now any review you write will be publicly linked to your Google+ name and picture. no option to turn off the feature & be anonymous|
- if you have an acct, you sign in. if you don't, you're prompted to make one
- your name on previous reviews appears as "A Google User."
- apps available for Android now totals about 700,000
|- new rules on Web version and on some smartphones, and we can expect it to roll out fully to the mobile Google Play store app|
- cut down on spam, anon comments that aren't true/helpful
IS THERE A DOWNSIDE TO THIS?
|ia||Nintendo makes Wii Mini official: currently exclusive to Canada, launches December 7th for $100||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/|
|Wii U first-week sales lag original Wii, but better than Xbox 360, PS3||http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/wii-u-first-week-sales-lag-original-wii-but-better-than-xbox-360-ps3/|
|Nintendo’s Wii U Starts Strong||http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/nintendos-wii-u-starts-strong/?src=recg|
|- Nintendo's budget Wii Mini|
- $100 buys you a game console
- No internet access. No online play, no streaming video [sounds like no Virtual Console support then]
- No Gamecube compatibility
- Nintendo's press release talks up $20 games like Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii Sports Resort
- Will be a Canadian exclusive during the holiday season starting Dec 7th
- No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future.”
Q: We've seen revised consoles before, but maybe none that strips away so many features. What do you think of Nintendo's move to make a budget-conscious throwback system like the Wii Mini? (it's the inverse of the rumored Xbox STB) Would a $99 Wii be a gateway price to lure people to the Wii U?
|Wii U sales: |
- Nintendo announced first week sales of 400k units in North America
- Original Wii sold 600k in 8 days
- president of Nintendo of America said 475,000 of the original Wiis were sold during the product’s first week on the market in 2006, citing NPD data.
- both overlapped w/ Black Friday
- Nintendo is aiming to move 5.5M units by end of March 2013
|tm||Bitter struggle over Internet regulation to dominate global summit||http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/net-us-un-internet-idUSBRE8AQ06320121127|
|ITU Conference site||http://www.itu.int/en/wcit-12/Pages/default.aspx||SOURCE|
|International Telecommunications Union in Dubai starts December 3- Dec. 14|
- Main purpose is to update treaty on how telecom companies interact across borders
- Some countries pushing to give 157-year-old ITU regulatory powers over the Internet
- Russia wants broader permission to shape content and structure within its borders
- Arab countries pushing for universal identification
- Some countries and telecom companies want content providers to pay for Internet transmission (again)
- U.S. Congress and the European Parliament issued resolutions for current decentralized system to remain
|Vint Cerf to Reuters: "These persistent attempts are just evidence that this breed of dinosaurs, with their pea-sized brains, hasn't figured out that they are dead yet, because the signal hasn't traveled up their long necks,"|
The ITU's top official, Secretary-General Hamadoun Touré to Reuters: nothing will be adopted without near-unanimity.-- only "light-touch" regulation on cyber-security will emerge by "consensus,"
|sl||The Social Commerce Attribution Problem: IBM Says Twitter Referred 0% Of Black Friday Traffic||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/the-social-commerce-attribution-problem/|
| - yesterday we talked about gains in online/mobile commerce for BF. but not all good news- IBM’s Black Friday report says Twitter delivered 0% of referral traffic and Facebook sent just 0.68%|
- last year IBM said Twitter generated 0.02% of traffic, very low, but now, no discernable number
- IBM says social networks including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube generated 0.34% of all online sales on Black Friday, down 35 percent from 2011
- IBM didn't disclose methodology for report. but will businesses see this & stop paying for ad placement/social media teams?
|- Facebook working to get credited for downstream purchases. Intro'd a self-serve User ID matching system and ads that drop cookies- Advertisers know if someone who bought something on their site saw an ad for them on FB in the previous weeks or months – not just if a direct click to purchase|
- not efficient- these don’t tally purchases inspired by owned (Page posts) or earned (word of mouth) media on FB. 25 most talked about Pages this week were all retailers. Walmart, Toys’R'Us, and Macy’s had the most PTAT (Likes/comments/shares).
- TWITTER'S PROB: ecommerce sites can tell if someone clicked straight to their site from one of their Promoted Tweets. but what if they remember the ad or account later, search for it on Google, and end up making a purchase?
|ia||Amazon Says Kindle Sales Set a New Record on Cyber Monday||http://mashable.com/2012/11/27/kindle-sales-cyber-monday-record/|
|AMAZON: We Doubled Kindle Sales—No, We're Not Telling You What That Really Means||http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-we-doubled-kindle-sales-2012-11#ixzz2DRGnD99p|
|- Amazon sure knows how to brag |
- The company says it broke its Black Friday record for Kindle sales
- Kindle products are the top 4 spots of overall sales for Amazon
How many Kindles did Amazon sell?
- It's not telling
- Jordan Rohan Stifel Nicolaus estimated Amazon sold ~6M kindles in Q42011
- Amz says it sold 1M Kindle devices per week last December
- Forrester: Amz sold a total of 7M Kindle Fires (5M purchased in 2011 holiday season)
Q: Do we need hard numbers or is the Amazon Kindle perceived as a success b/c Amazon just doesn't give numbers?
|Worldwide Kindle Device Sales More Than Double Last Year’s Record Over Holiday Shopping Weekend|
- BI: "Amazon has another (pretty much) informationless press release out about Kindle sales this morning. "
|tm||How PRWeb Helps Distribute Crap Into Google & News Sites||http://searchengineland.com/how-prweb-helps-distribute-crap-into-google-news-sites-140597||SCROLL for IMAGES|
|The Google-ICOA scandal: with millions at stake, making fake news is easier than you think||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3696514/prweb-google-icoa-hoax|
|So Where Did That Fake Google Acquisition Press Release Come From? Aruba?||http://allthingsd.com/20121126/so-where-did-that-fake-google-acquisition-press-release-come-from/|
|Story about Google purchasing ICOA for $400 million most likely a pump and dump scheme|
- ICOA CEO George Strouthopoulos told MIT Tech Review it came from firstname.lastname@example.org and the phone number was 297-555-2951. 297 is the area code for Aruba
-PRWeb: "Vocus reviews all press releases and follows an internal process designed to maintain the integrity of the releases we send out every day. Even with reasonable safeguards identity theft occurs, on occasion, across all of the major wire services."
- PRWeb allows anyone who pays to upload a release. PR Newswire and Businesswire, where you have to have an account with password
- Danny Sullivan demos how the service works by searching for "Press releases" for Viagra
- PRWeb promises distribution in Google News and the Associated Press, if you pay for premium services
- Viagra story shows up in Houston Chronicle, which republishes PRWeb releases.
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|New gym turns workouts into watts||http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/27/world/europe/gym-workout-watts-electricity/index.html|
|Venturebeat's Cloudbeat conf tomorrow and Thurs in Redwood City||http://venturebeat.com/events/cloudbeat2012/|
|Nintendo TVii launching December 8 in Japan, US and Europe in 2013||http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-tvii-launching-december-8-in-japan-us-and-europe-in-2013-27258457/|
|Dive Into Mobile Ready to Take Back Manhattan on April 15 and 16||http://allthingsd.com/20121127/dive-into-mobile-ready-to-take-back-manhattan-on-april-15-and-16/|
|Yoav (aka @poeticGeek) from Israel here.|
Regarding yesterday's ep 635, about the MS XBOX TV device. You were discussing whether it makes sense for MS to introduce a weaker device that will be sold in addition to the stronger new XBOX (720?).
I think it makes a lot of sense because of their play into a subscription model which is permeating across the organization. From Office 365 to personal office subscriptions and even their deal from the beginning of the year which included getting the XBOX 360 for a monthly subscription fee.
I can definitely see them pushing this as a XBOX Live subscription in which you get this new device for free and continuously pay for the content. To me that falls in line with their new business model quite nicely.
What do you think?
All the best,
|I just bought XBox during Thanksgiving Day deals primarily to use it as Windows Media Center extender but can't believe Microsoft wants me to buy/subscribe to Gold level of XBox live to be able to use Netflix, July, and Amazon Instant Video or even YouTube..... I just have no words to describe how shocked I am. I already have 3 other devices - Sony Google TV, a Wii, and Panasonic tv has Viera in built....|
Can anyone from your team explain what this Balmer (read bummer) idea is?
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Aaron Newcomb|
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media downloads at pond5.com/tnt.
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
This episode is brought to you by:
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24
● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
This episode of [SHOW NAME] is brought to you by Audible.com.
· Audible.com is a leading provider of audiobooks with more than 100,000
downloadable titles across all types of literature, including fiction, non- fiction and
· For listeners of [SHOW NAME], Audible is offering a free audiobook to
give you a chance to try out their service.
· One audiobook you may consider downloading is [select an audiobook and say why
you like it and/or why they might like it]
· To download this audiobook for free, or another
one of your choice, go to audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
Note: two credit books (very small percentage, but Game of Thrones for example is two
credits) are not eligible through the free trial offer. The free trial gives a person one credit, so
they can’t select a two credit book for their trial.
99.5% of books are one credit. However it is best to check on Audible.com before suggesting a
book for the free trial offer to make sure it is a one credit book.