|How Cyber is your Monday? Google punked on PR service. Minecraft Redstone update coming! http://live.twit.tv/||GUEST: Lindsey Turrentine, EIC, CNET Reviews|
LOWER THIRD URL: @lturrentine
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media downloads, go to pond5.com/tnt
The New Squarespace. Squarespace introduces a new content management system, making it faster and easier to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. Plus more than 50 new features, including mobile-responsive designs. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase, go to Squarespace.com and use offer code TNT11.
Audible.com. To download a free audiobook of your choice go to: audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||According to a press release on PRWeb this morning, Google had bought WiFi provider ICOA for $400 million. The only trouble is, that's not true according to ICOA. The company's chief financial officer, Erwin Vahlsing, Jr., told CNET in an email that the news is false. He didn't provide any other information.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57554193-93/google-gets-punked-with-fake-acquisition-press-release/|
|sl||2 million units of the The Galaxy Note 2 have been shipped since November 2, and Samsung says it might reach 20 million in sales. Meanwhile, Samsung's still wrapped up in proving its other products still don't infringe on apple patents. Documents filed to the San Jose federal court in California on November 23 list six Samsung products running the "Jelly Bean" and "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating systems, including the Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wifi tablet, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Rugby Pro and Galaxy S III mini.||http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9703192/Samsung-hits-five-million-mark-for-Galaxy-Note-II-units.html|
|ia||Seems like people can't help themselves when it comes to bargains online. comScore says that US retail e-commerce spending for Black Friday was over $1 billion, which is up 26% compared to last year. Amazon was the online retailer with the most visits. If you're curious about what people were buying, the top moving product was apparel, followed by computer hardware.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/25/e-commerce-spending-on-black-friday-tops-1b-for-the-first-time-amazon-is-the-most-visited-retailer/|
|tm||Samsung's investigation of 105 of its suppliers has turned up several inadequate practices, but the company found no evidence of underage workers. Samsung did find overtime excesses and inordinate fines for being late or absent from work. China Labor Watch had alleged it had found evidence of long working hours and under-age workers. Samsung says it is reviewing a further 144 suppliers in China.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20491086|
|sl||Minecon is being held at Disneyland Paris this year and it's a pretty big deal- where the enormously popular game's 4,500 biggest fans come to meet each other, dress like the creatures and people found in the game and see and talk to Minecraft's creators. There are also sessions on using Minecraft in serious settings. Already it is being used in schools as a way to teach all kinds of subjects, everything from programming to geology to geo-politics.||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20492574|
|ia||Nokia's unveiled its new Asha line of phones. The devices are aimed at the low-end of the market - they both sell for $62. The Asha 205 is a BlackBerry-style phone with QWERTY keyboard, while the Asha 206 is a candy-bar style phone. The phones also come with "Slam," which is Nokia's name for sharing content via Bluetooth to other devices (not just the Asha line). The phones are expected to launch by the end of the year.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57554056-94/nokia-unwraps-$62-asha-cell-phones/|
|tm||TechCrunch reports that China Times has information that Google will launch its own brand of touchscreen Chrome OS notebooks. According to the report, Taiwan-based Compal will receive the internal parts this month to begin assembly. This could mean the product ships before the end of the year.||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/google-reportedly-preparing-to-sell-self-branded-chromebooks/|
|sl||2 posters are showing up around Facebook HQ that highlights the company's committment to Android. One has a Google Android logo robot hovering behind a plate of dog food. Printed behind the robot is the phrase, "Do you 'droidfood?," with Facebook asking its employees to "switch today" at the poster's bottom. In the second poster, Facebook shows a graph of device shipments for iPhones and Android smartphones, with of course Android growth looking exponential. As Facebook describes it on the poster, "here come the Androids."||http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412445,00.asp|
|tm||Justin Bieber, long reigning king of YouTube views has been horse-danced off the top spot by Psy's Gangnam Style. The Korean music star's video passed Bieber's "Baby" on Saturday. It took Gangnam Style only 5 months to rack up more than 805 million views.Wordstream projects that Gangnam Style might reach 1 billion views by December 11th.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57553873-1/gangnam-style-slays-bieber-becomes-most-watched-vid/|
|ia||An 11-day meeting of the UN's International Telecommunications Union is set to take place starting December 3rd. The ITU will discuss over 1300 proposals that may or may not lead to more control of the Internet. A European-backed proposal wants to charge companies an extra fee for reaching users across borders. The ITU says it does not want to govern the Internet, but it must update its 1989 communications treaty, which was written before the Internet was public.||http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22065776/web-access-battles-brew-before-un-conference|
|Introduce Guest||GUEST: Lindsey Turrentine, EIC, CNET Reviews|
LOWER THIRD URL: @lturrentine
|sl||Facebook makes it official — an external advertising network is coming soon||http://gigaom.com/2012/11/23/facebook-makes-it-official-an-external-advertising-network-is-coming-soon/|
|PROPOSED UPDATES TO OUR GOVERNING DOCUMENTS||https://www.facebook.com/fbsitegovernance/app_4949752878|
- will now use data it has about your likes to show you ads outside FB. 1st confirmation that yes, FB building ad network outside its walled garden
- FB's trying to end voting process when changing governance policies that requires it to get 30% of users to support something before it could make a significant change. but last vote FB held saw .03 percent of users participate. 30% of Facebook users to vote would mean 300M
|- FB hasn't had great clickthrough rates on traditional ads|
- so much traffic creating another adsense could increase rev 2x, according to Chris Dixon, newest partner at Andreesen Horowitz
|tm||Minecraft fans gather for Minecon in Paris||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20492574|
|Minecraft to aid UN regeneration projects||http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20492908|
|Yes, the Raspberry Pi will run Minecraft||http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/yes-the-raspberry-pi-will-run-minecraft/|
|Minecraft 1.5 Redstone Update for PC will arrive in January 2013||http://www.techspot.com/news/50898-minecraft-15-redstone-update-for-pc-will-arrive-in-january-2013.html||VIDEO|
|Minecraft Reality app arrives for iOS, brings your creations into the real world for others to find||http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/25/minecraft-reality-app-arrives-for-ios-brings-your-creations-into-the-real-world-for-others-to-find/|
|MineCon at Disneyland Paris, 4500 attendees|
8 million POC versions sold, not counting consoles, mobile apps
Notch of course but also player-contributors like (Vareide, CaptainSparklez and SethBling)
- 1.5 (Redstone) update coming in January-- Redstone gets variable signal strength (analogue) and a capacitor block that works like a repeater
- Block will have obne input and one output. Output level dtermined by input. Weighted pressure plates. Daylight dsetector for solar power, and foireworks. South-east bug to be fixed.
- Minecraft now runs on Raspberry Pi-- well Minecraft: Pi Edition, a port of the mobile app for free, support for multiple languages so you can code directly into the game
- Block by Block a partnership between UN Habitat and Mojang, models development plans ( Undugu playground - part of the Kibera slum region on the outskirts of Nairobi.)
|Minecraft Reality for iOS 1.99 lets you put your minecraft creations in real world locations|
|ia||Google gets punked by fake ICOA acquisition press release||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57554193-93/google-gets-punked-with-fake-acquisition-press-release/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title|
|Google Acquires U.S. National High-Traffic Broadband Wi-Fi Provider ICOA Inc. For $400M||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/google-acquires-u-s-national-high-traffic-broadband-wi-fi-provider-icoa-inc-for-400m/|
|The Spectrum Crunch That Never Really Was||http://www.technologyreview.com/news/507486/the-spectrum-crunch-that-never-really-was/|
|Google grabs ICOA WiFi hotspot specialist: Who needs carriers?||http://www.slashgear.com/google-grabs-icoa-wifi-hotspot-specialist-who-needs-carriers-26258259/|
|The headlines read: |
- Google announced it's buying ICOA for $400M
- ICOA provides wireless broadband Internet in high-traffic public areas (airports, restuarants, campgrounds)
- Handled Wi-Fi hotspot installation, design, maintenence
- It's not true. ICOA's chief financial officer, Erwin Vahlsing, Jr., told CNET in an email that the news is false.
Q: Anyone else disappointed this story isn't true?
|sl||E-Commerce Spending On Black Friday Tops $1B For The First Time; Amazon Is The Most Visited Retailer||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/25/e-commerce-spending-on-black-friday-tops-1b-for-the-first-time-amazon-is-the-most-visited-retailer/|
|The iPad Owned Black Friday, So Let’s Start Seeing Better Shopping Experiences Designed For It||http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/25/the-ipad-owned-black-friday-so-lets-start-seeing-better-shopping-experiences-designed-for-it/?icid=trending7&grcc2=8fc6c08a23e6f3b01aa7b5dd94dc2938~1353941481067~fca4fa8af1286d8a77f26033fdeed202~500e3dab6bac762e9d1ccbc335a9652b~1353941481065~98~0~0~0~0~0~0~0~9~6~10~14~-1~-8370048721092232990~~http%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2012%2F11%2F25%2Fe-commerce-spending-on-black-friday-tops-1b-for-the-first-time-amazon-is-the-most-visited-retailer%2F~|
|- comScore: black Friday U.S. retail e-commerce spending was $1.042B, 26% up from last year. This is the first time Black Friday sales surpassed $1B in online spending|
- For the holiday season-to-date, $13.7B spent online, which is a 16% up from last year. Consumers spend $633M on Thanksgiving Day, a 32% increase from last year.
- Amazon most popular e-commerce site by visits, followed by Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and Apple. In total, 57.3M Americans visited online retail sites on BF, 18% versus a year ago.
- Amazon also posted the highest year-over-year visitor growth rate among the top five retailers.
- For BF, the most amount of dollars online was spent on Apparel & Accessories, more than 25% of all dollars spent online. The category has historically ranked No. 2 behind Computer Hardware, as it did last year
|Cyber Monday is today: comscore says if it's like the past 3 years, it will be heaviest online shopping day of season, sales up to 1.5B|
- IBM report has iPad dominating online sales from tablets.
- mobile shopping sales up 6% points this year. mobile visits to e-commerce sites were made by 24% of all online shoppers, 10% rise from last year.
|ia||Microsoft 'Xbox TV' device due in 2013 with casual gaming and streaming||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674802/xbox-tv-set-top-box-casual-gaming-streaming-2013|
|- The Verge reports MS is building an Xbox set-top box|
- It would be a low cost alternative to its Xbox console
- It doesn't replace the Xbox -- it's a second SKU to be unveiled before the holiday season 2013
- The device will run on the core components of Windows 8 and support casual gaming titles rather than full Xbox games typically found on a dedicated console.
- The move is part of a broader MS effort to get its Xbox architecture on more devices (like a phone that runs Xbox Live services)
Q: Does a two device setup make sense for Microsoft and the Xbox?
|tm||Cambridge University center to examine potential threat posed by artificial intelligence||http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/25/3691538/ai-threat-cambridge-university|
|Killer robots? Cambridge brains to assess AI risk||http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57553993-76/killer-robots-cambridge-brains-to-assess-ai-risk/|
|Cambridge project for Existential Risk||http://cser.org/||SOURCE|
|University of Cambridge to host Center for the Study of Existential Risk, opening next year|
- founded by Bertrand Russell professor of Philosophy Huw Price, cosmology & astrophysics professor emeritus Martin Rees and Skype co-founder Jaan Tallinn
- Risks of AI have been posited but seriousness is hard to estimate.
- Price warns that computer intelligence could mimic human evolution through the years at an accelerated rate.
- Price told the AP that "It tends to be regarded as a flakey concern, but given that we don't know how serious the risks are, that we don't know the time scale, dismissing the concerns is dangerous. What we're trying to do is to push it forward in the respectable scientific community."
- Biggest risk could be that AI is not hoistile, but indifferent
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story during prep||VIDEO|
|Wii U system music gets collected into unofficial nine-track album||http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/wii-u-system-music-gets-collected-into-unofficial-nine-track-alb/|
|Ignition: Future of Digital conf in NYC tomorrow the 27th - Wed 28th||http://businessinsider.ticketleap.com/ignition-2012/|
|also tomorrow running through Thursday the 29th is Amazon's Web Services Invent event, their 1st customer/partners conf in Las Vegas||https://reinvent.awsevents.com/|
|and in SF, the 2nd annual WIMA NFC USA runs tomorrow through Thurs the 29th - all about NFC and biz applications||http://www.wima.mc/2012usa/content/Welcome/welcomeUK.php|
|In episode 633 Tom said that Airplay works with everything. Well do you want to know what it doesn't work with? DVDs! You can not Airplay a DVD to your Apple TV using Apples DVD playing software! Really? Works fine with VLC btw. Why would they block DVDs from playing over an Apple TV when just about anyone can rip them? I have no idea.|
|I have another very practical reason kids want itouches, ipads, and Ipad minnies. They can take them to school and not get into trouble. Many schools have a BYOD policy now. There are limits and teachers need to be familiar with the device as a learning tool. Most schools that use tablets use Ipads so that is what teacher are familiar with. |
Also about kids having phones. I work for a low socio-eco school. Many of our parents have found a family cellphone plan is cheaper than a land line (especially when they move every 2 -3 months). 2/3 of my emergency forms this year had NONE written in the landline blank. The parents want their kid to have a phone for when they get home from school, before the parents get home.
Now some just keep an older phone charged so the kids can call 911. Others get hand me down phones from friends and relatives when those people upgrade. So Yes I have 2nd graders with Iphone 3S in their backpacks - but it isn't as indulgent as it first sounds. They got it from their single 19 - 25 yo cousins, who had to have the Iphone 5.
Texas Teacher in the Chat Room (on school holidays)
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Tim Stevens|
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media downloads at pond5.com/tnt.
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
This episode is brought to you by:
The New Squarespace.com - - now it’s faster and easier than ever to create a highquality website, blog or online portfolio.
Squarespace has launched a new content management system - - Squarespace 6.
● While Squarespace is still focused on ease of use, beautiful design, and giving
you the best customer support....
● The New Squarespace is an entirely new product with a different code base. It
speed and flexibility.
The New Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive designs
- - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any brand
smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
The New Squarespace is faster and easier than ever.
Squarespace - 24● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
The New Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
The New Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
The New Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design,
development, hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
● And it offers over 50 new and improved features.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT11 and
get 10% off your first purchase on New Squarespace accounts (includes monthly
and annual plans). And don’t forget about FREE domain registration with annual
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT11.
Squarespace - 24
● Note: Current Squarespace customers can convert their accounts and content
to the New Squarespace (code) whenever they choose to, or they can keep their
site in the current Squarespace code.
This episode of [SHOW NAME] is brought to you by Audible.com.
· Audible.com is a leading provider of audiobooks with more than 100,000
downloadable titles across all types of literature, including fiction, non- fiction and
· For listeners of [SHOW NAME], Audible is offering a free audiobook to
give you a chance to try out their service.
· One audiobook you may consider downloading is [select an audiobook and say why
you like it and/or why they might like it]
· To download this audiobook for free, or another
one of your choice, go to audiblepodcast.com/tnt.
Note: two credit books (very small percentage, but Game of Thrones for example is two
credits) are not eligible through the free trial offer. The free trial gives a person one credit, so
they can’t select a two credit book for their trial.
99.5% of books are one credit. However it is best to check on Audible.com before suggesting a
book for the free trial offer to make sure it is a one credit book.