|Amazon gives you free music you paid for, Tim Cook pleads with China Mobile, Nokia on the rise http://live.twit.tv/|
|This is 'Tech News Today' for Friday June 21 2013|
|Tech News Today is brought to you by|
Squarespace, the fast and easy way to create a high-quality website, blog or online portfolio. For a free trial and 10% off your first purchase on new accounts, go to Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT1. And they recently launched a developer platform for complete code control.
Pond5, the world’s stock media marketplace. If you’re a media maker looking for video, photos, illustrations, music, sound effects, After Effects templates or 3D models, check out Pond5. And for an exclusive 50 free stock media files, go to pond5.com/tnt.
Lantronix, maker of the xPrintServer. Print from your iPad, iPhone, or any iOS device to virtually any printer. For more information, visit xPrintServer.com/twit and enter the code TWiT to receive free shipping on your order.
|Welcome to Tech News Today, I'm Tom Merritt --- I'm Sarah Lane --- I'm Iyaz Akhtar -- I'm Jason Howell|
|We'll keep you up to date on the most important stories in the tech world, and put them in context for you.|
|We start with the top 10 stories of the day in the News Fuse|
|News Fuse - Top 10||VIDEO|
|tm||Amazon introduced a new service today called AutoRip which gives customers who buy CDs a free copy of the album in MP3s added to Amazon's cloud player. Not only that, but any CD you bought under that Amazon account going back to 1998 can qualify for AutoRip. More than 50,000 albums are already in the program, including most new releases.Amazon has all major labels and most indies on board and will continue to add albums from their back catalog to AutoRip.||http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/amazon-launches-autorip-service-giving-customers-free-mp3s-for-cds-purchased-on-amazon-as-far-back-as-1998/|
|sl||Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has called on North Korea to end its ban on Internet access after visiting the country with former New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson. Schmidt told reporters at the Beijing airport: “As the world becomes increasingly connected, their decision to be virtually isolated is very much going to affect their physical world. The government has to do something -- they have to make it possible for people to use the Internet, which the government in North Korea has not yet done. It is time now for them to start or they will remain behind.”||http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/googles-schmidt-calls-on-north-korea-to-end-internet-ban/2013/01/10/09cb7bae-5b0d-11e2-b8b2-0d18a64c8dfa_story.html|
|ia||Investors are happy with Nokia today because the company beat expectations in its last quarter according to preliminary financial information. Nokia's Devices & Services business generated 3.9 billion Euros in the quarter which is down from last year's 6 billion Euros. Nokia also sold 4.4 million Lumia phones, while its budget Asha line sold 9.3 million units.||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57563229-94/surprise-surprise-nokias-q4-rides-high-on-lumia-sales/|
|tm||Apple CEO Tim Cook DID happen to drop by China Mobile to see chairman Xi Guohua in Beijing Thursday. A China Mobile representative said the two company chiefs discussed matters of cooperation. China Mobile with 700 million subscribers is the world's largest mobile carrier, and does not yet carry the iPhone.||http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/10/3859164/tim-cook-meets-with-china-mobile-chairman-to-discuss-matters-of|
|sl||Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile USA will embrace RIM, and executives at each company have gone on record saying they're looking forward to Blackberry 10 devices. "We're hopeful its going to be a good device," Lowell McAdam, chief executive of Verizon Communications. Yeah, sounds really promising. BlackBerry 10 is on track to launch new smartphones later this month.||http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/09/us-ces-blackberry-uscarriers-idUSBRE90817R20130109|
|ia||California's attorney general released a set of privacy recommendations for app developers. The AG said the aim of the recommendations is to protect privacy while not stifling innovation. The guidelines try to help developers keep track of privacy issues when an app is being developed and also how to disclose its privacy practices.||http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/californias-attorney-general-releases-privacy-guidelines-for-app-developers/2013/01/10/997e7610-5b27-11e2-9fa9-5fbdc9530eb9_blog.html|
|tm||Apple announced Wednesday that screenshots that go along with app descriptions in the app store will be locked in place once an app has been approved. New screenshots will only be allowed when the app is updated. The rule is meant to prevent fraud where some unscrupulous developers would get an app approved then swap the screenshots to make it look like another more popular app.||http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/09/apple-now-locking-screenshots-for-submitted-apps-shutting-down-popular-scam-tactic/|
|sl||The FCC is opening up what it calls a "substantial amount" of radio spectrum for the use of Wi-Fi, which will improve the speed of wireless devices and ease up what FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski calls a wi-fi traffic jam. 195MHz of new spectrum will be opened up, all in the 5GHz band. Opening up more spectrum could especially help in crowded places like public Wi-Fi access points.||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/fccs-genachowski-govt-will-open-up-radio-spectrum-to-improve-wi-fi/|
|tm||Samsung left the truly bizarre keynote stunts to Qualcomm this year, and showed off a flexible display instead. Called Youm, the display was demonstrated on a prototype Windows Phone. Microsoft also helped show off a new projector that would project images into the entire room in which a game is being played to provide a more immersive experience. But it was Samsung's keynote after all, and they also showed off another bendable screen, a phone that unfolded into a tablet, the 28-nanometer 8-core Exynos 6 Octa chip, and finished with President Bill Clinton.||http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/09/samsung-microsoft-hype-new-youm-flexible-oled-display-tech|
|ia||A couple of days ago Dell introduced "Project Ophelia," which is a device a little larger than a USB memory stick that turns a TV or monitor into cloud-based computer. The device itself runs Android 4.0, but will allow access to remote PCs or virtualized PCs. Project Ophelia also has integrated Wi-Fi and bluetooth, so you can connect to the device wirelessly.||http://liliputing.com/2013/01/dell-introduces-hdmi-stick-that-turns-any-screen-into-a-thin-client-pc.html|
|tm||Amazon’s “AutoRip” Service Goes Live, Giving Customers Free MP3s For CDs Purchased On Amazon As Far Back As 1998 (Hands On)||http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/amazon-launches-autorip-service-giving-customers-free-mp3s-for-cds-purchased-on-amazon-as-far-back-as-1998/|
|Buy a CD, added to cloud player at purchase|
- Retroactive to CDs purchased since 1998 - even if purchased as gifts...
- 50,000 albums at launch, more coming
- Never have had to sign up for cloud player
- US only at launch - U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan coming in 2013 plus more
I had 4 auto rip (Two Son Volt (Wide Swing Tremolo and the Search), Descendants (Cool to be you) and Kathy McCarty (Dead Dog's Eyeball))
|Michael Robertson must be pissed. Both MP3.com and MP3Tunes.com tried to do the same thing and got sued out of existence.|
|sl||Tim Cook meets with China Mobile chairman to discuss "matters of cooperation"||http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/10/3859164/tim-cook-meets-with-china-mobile-chairman-to-discuss-matters-of|
|- China Mobile is the largest of the mainland's three wireless providers with over 700 million subscribers. It's also the only one of the three without a deal to support Apple's iPhone and iPad.|
- Reuters reports Apple CEO Tim Cook met with China Mobile chairman Xi Guohua at CM headquarters in Beijing on Thursday to discuss what a China Mobile spokesman called "matters of cooperation." signed confidentiality agreement
- On Tuesday, Cook met with China's minister for industry and information technology and on Wednesday met with high level executives from China Unicom.
- Talks between Apple and China Mobile have been going on for years and are stuck on revenue sharing terms, analysts said
|"Currently, Apple has 11 stores in the Greater China region, as well as many resellers. We will continue to expand in China and the number of retail stores we'll have will exceed 25," Cook was quoted as saying by news portal Sina Technology News.|
- In December (shortly before the iPhone 5's launch in China), research firm IDC estimated that Apple's share of China's smartphone market had slipped from fourth to sixth, behind Samsung, Lenovo, Coolpad, ZTE, and Huawei.
|ia||Nokia's Q4 rides high on Lumia sales||http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57563229-94/surprise-surprise-nokias-q4-rides-high-on-lumia-sales/|
|You’d better sit down: Nokia is actually doing reasonably well||http://gigaom.com/2013/01/10/youd-better-sit-down-nokia-is-actually-doing-reasonably-well/|
|- Nokia Q4 exceeded expectations|
- Total phones sold: 86.3M
- Devices & Services business generated 3.9B Euros, last year at the same time (Q4 2011) it generated 6B euros, Q4 2010 was 8.5B Euros
- Lumia line sold 4.4M, Asha sold 9.3 million (13.7M, leaves 72M Series 40 phones moved)
- Stephen Elop was pleased saying that the company managed its costs efficiently
Q: Does it look like Nokia is turning their luck around?
|ia||Samsung Clones Its Own: Galaxy S II Plus Aims To Extend Run Of Galaxy S II Cash-Cow Phone||http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/samsung-clones-its-own-galaxy-s-ii-plus-aims-to-extend-run-of-galaxy-s-ii-cash-cow-phone/|
|Galaxy S III Mini and Galaxy S II Plus planned for end 2012||http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/20/galaxy-s-iii-mini-and-galaxy-s-ii-plus-planned-for-end-2012/|
|- Samsung's releasing a new phone, but it's an old phone|
- The Samsung Galaxy S II Plus
- The original S2 launched in 2011 Q2 and ran Gingerbread
- the S2 Plus has pretty much the same hardware as the S2, but there will be an NFC option and less onboard storage (8GB). Supports microSD cards up to 64GB
- Software is a bigger difference will run Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, comes with S3 like features like a video pop-up player
- Launches in Germany before being rolled out to other markets, no pricing yet. SamMobile.com had a report back in August 2012 that Samsung would launch the S2 Plus for 300-400 Euro.
Q: Can you make sense of this when there's a Galaxy S3 mini out there?
- 4.3" WVGA(480x800) Super AMOLED Plus
- 1.2GHz processor
- 8MP camera
- Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.9 mm, 121 g
Non NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm, 121 g
- 4 inch screen (480x800) Sumer AMOLED PenTile
- 1GHz processor
- 5MP camera
- Android 4.1.1
|sl||POLAROID’S JELLY BEAN TABLETS COULD GIVE GOOGLE A RUN FOR ITS MONEY||http://bgr.com/2013/01/09/polaroid-m7-m10-specs-release-date-286556/|
|- at CES Polaroid announced two new Android tablets that look to compete with Google’s (GOOG) Nexus devices.|
- M7, 7-inch, $129 - dual-core processor and 8GB of internal storage. 1280 x 800-pixel IPS displays, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera, a microSD slot and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- M10, 10-inch, $229. quad-core CPU, 16GB of internal storage, HDMI and a 5-megapixel rear camera., 1280 x 800-pixel IPS displays, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera, a microSD slot and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Both tablets will be released this spring.
- screens look sort of windows RT tiles
|back in december leaked images and specs point to Polaroid reviving its camera business with what could be the world’s first Android camera with interchangeable lenses. With no official name yet, the tentatively named IM1836 camera will reportedly feature a 18.1-megapixel sensor, 3.5-inch touchscreen, pop-up flash, Wi-Fi, HDMI and Android 4.0.|
- Wi-Fi, cellular data and photo editing apps on cameras. that's cool.
|tm||“Buffy vs Edward” remix unfairly removed by Lionsgate||http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/buffy-vs-edward-remix-unfairly-removed-by-lionsgate/|
|Jonathan McIntosh created "Buffy vs. Edward: Twilight Remixed" as a commentary. He pointedly does not make money on it.|
- It meets fair use criteria as transformative, amount of use, commentary and educational, affect on market
- The Register of Copyrights used it as an example of why fair use deserves an exemption to the DMCA
- October 9, 2012 - YouTube Content ID flagged it, left up with ads benefitting Lionsgate (owner Twilight IP)
- November 26, 2012 - Finally got claim released for audiovisual content - then claim added for *visual" content
- December 18, 2012 - Appeal rejected, video deleted, strike placed against account, "copyright school" required to unlock account
- December 20, 2012 - MovieClips (on behalf LionsGate) said removed because McIntosh didn't want ads "no choice"
- Now filed official counternotice. LionsGate has 14 days to allow or sue.
- New Media Rights (newmediarights.org) offering legal assistance throughout to McIntosh
SUM: Why YouTube has become a 'Star Chamber' Presumed guilt, double jeopardy, no relief for falls accusation
|Randomizer||We will narrow this down to one story, put your initials next to the story you like best||VIDEO|
|Robotex Avatar for Home and Office eyes-on||http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/robotex-avatar-for-home-and-office-eyes-on/|
|Netflix confirms 14 new episodes of 'Arrested Development' this May||http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857184/netflix-confirms-14-new-episodes-of-arrested-development-this-may|
|Voicemail||Sound Cloud :)|
|A comment on $12,000 TVs||https://soundcloud.com/tnt_voicemail/a-comment-on-12-000-tvs|
|Yesterday a guest mentioned he was concerned about bandwidth issues regarding delivery of 4k content. Now I have Directv with 4 set top boxes capable of recording 8 HD shows simultaneously without any problems. |
However if I want to stream HD on Netflix over internet I sometimes have buffer issues. The "4k Bandwidth concern" appears to be a streaming problem for Netflix, Amazon, etc. It seems to me that it would be in the best interest of Cable and Satellite providers to push hard for 4k in order to offer something the internet based content providers cannot.
I had one other thought about your iPhone discussion, and why Apple might want a plastic cheaper version.
When they announce the iPhone 5S or whatever the new model is, they would have the iPhone 5 the iPhone 5S and then possibly the iPhone 4S as the cheapest version. So the question is why would Apple want to make a new phone instead of the 4S?
The 4S would be the last remaining iOS product that still has the old dock connector. If you take away the manufacturing need to replicate the old 30 pin connector, it may make sense to retool for a new version. At least that, along with all of the other reasons you stated might be enough to make a cheaper plastic iPhone a reality. Just my thoughts. Love the show.
|Submit and vote on story coverage at||http://technewstoday.reddit.com|
|Plug tomorrow's guest:||Paul Spain|
This episode is brought to you by:
Squarespace.com - - the fast and easy way to create a high-quality website, blog or
Squarespace gives you and your website users the best mobile experience.
● Squarespace has developed new templates with mobile-ready responsive
designs - - which means your site automatically restructures to look great on any
brand smartphone, tablet, or computer.
● When you add an image to your site, 7 different versions are created so
the correct size loads for the device ---- so your site looks professionally
designed no matter how it is viewed.
Squarespace is fast and easy to use.
● It has beautiful templates, with 100% Drag and Drop functionality for all
● There is a new page builder tool called the LayoutEngine that enables you to
customize pages in seconds by adding “blocks” of content such as: photos,
videos, text, social media content and immediately preview layout as you go.
● This makes it even easier for anyone to build a site.
Squarespace - 26Squarespace gives you better social media integration.
● Automatically import, sync and publish to and from social media with a few clicks,
dynamically refreshing your site content and raising awareness in your social
● For example: automatically pull photos from Instagram into your site, instantly
sync pages and galleries to Facebook, auto-publish new blog entries on Twitter.
● Social media buttons to connect with all the services you love - through
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, Drop box, LinkedIn,
Pintrest, StumbleUpon and more.
Squarespace is exceptionally well designed.
● Squarespace has an award winning design team and User Experience experts.
● They created a whole new set of sophisticated design templates - - they reflect
modern web style while using highly intuitive navigation.
● Each template also has hundreds of customization options available to change
grid layout, colors, over 300 fonts and more.
Squarespace integrates all your website needs - - domains, design, development,
hosting and customer support.
● It’s a unified service making it faster and easier than ever to create a high quality
website, blog or online portfolio.
For a free trial, go to Squarespace.com. [no show-specific url]
● Sign up for a free account.
● No credit card needed, just try it out, and start building your website.
● Then if you decide to purchase it, use offer code TNT1 and get
10% off your first purchase on new accounts (includes monthly and annual plans)
● That’s Squarespace.com, and use offer code TNT1
● Everything you need to create an exceptional website!
This episode of [show] is brought to you by Pond5, the world’s stock media
I know many of you in our audience are “media makers” - - people involved in making:
blogs, websites, videos, films, apps, or other types of media.
● And that’s why I want to tell you about stock media and Pond5.
● Using professional quality stock media from Pond5 is one of the best ways to
extend your creativity and streamline your workflow.
● Pond5 is a building block and creative resource for you and your projects.
Pond5 gives you instant access to a vast selection of stock media. They’ve got the
world's largest collection of royalty-free video, with more than a million clips, plus more
than 10 million professional-quality:
● vector illustrations
● music tracks
● sound effects
● customizable motion graphics templates
● 3D models
● and more - the collection is growing by leaps and bounds every day
Pond5 - 4 - Rev. 1All of the content on Pond5 can be downloaded instantly for legal use in virtually any
media production, at the best prices anywhere.
Pond5 is great for developers, designers, film and videomakers for all of their audio and
visual asset needs.
● Developers – use Pond5 for high quality sound effects for games
● Designers – use Pond5 so you don’t have to build everything from scratch
● Film and videomakers – use Pond5’s HD footage for just the right shot at your
[Pond5 would like to emphasize this section:]
And if you’re an artist, you'll love Pond5 too .
● They’re shaking up the traditional stock agency business with an open, artistfriendly marketplace for professional content.
● For artists selling on the site, Pond5 gives you the control over pricing. And that’s
● Plus they pay out 50% royalties for each and every sale (higher payout than
other stock photo marketplaces).
As a result, the prices are unbeatable, and so is the range and quality of the content
So if you are a media maker or artist, you should absolutely check out Pond5.
● Take your creativity to the next level, or upload your own content and put it to
work at the world’s most artist-friendly marketplace for stock media.
This month, you can get 50 free stock media files at pond5.com/tnt.
● That’s pond5.com/tnt.
We thank Pond5 for their support of [show].
Whether at home or the office, printing from your iPhone or iPad can be a challenge. If your
printer isn’t AirPrint compatible, you’re out of luck!
Share your personal experience or frustration in trying to print from your iOS device.
xPrintServer enables wireless printing from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. It eliminates
the need to print through apps, install software, or email yourself documents for printing--and
it works with the USB or network printer you already own, whether it’s wired or wireless!
● Print directly from the iOS native menu; No apps to buy or software to load
● Supports more than 4,000 top brand network printers
● Easy to use! Automatic discovery and setup of printers
● Just open it, plug it in, and print!
● Advanced configuration available via web interface
● One xPrintServer supports multiple printers & virtually unlimited iOS devices
● Home Edition is $99 and supports up to 8 USB and 2 network printers
● Office Edition is $199 and supports up to 8 USB and unlimited network printers
● Allows your USB printers to be shared with all users over a network● Great for your home, and great for your office—it even works with large multifunction
Call to Action (Verbatim)
● Go to xPrintServer.com/twit for more information and to buy.
● And we’ve got a special offer: use the code TWiT to receive free shipping on your
● Remember: Visit xPrintServer.com/twit and at checkout, enter the code TWiT!