Translating TED Talks on Amara
For additional help, please visit: TED-Amara Support Desk
How do I register as a new TED translator?
- Select your languages in Amara, complete the application form and you'll receive notice of approval within 5 days
As an existing TED translator, how do I log in to Amara?
How do I request to translate/review talks?
- On Amara, go to the Tasks tab
- Set your translation languages at the top of the page
- Use the filter menu and search field to refine your results
- You can filter tasks for TEDTalks, TEDxTalks, TED-Ed videos, tutorials in the OTP Resources project and selected TEDx highlights in Best of TEDxTalks
- Hover over “Perform Task” and click “Start now”
- If you’re looking for a specific TEDxTalk, and it’s not among the available tasks, please submit it using this form
You can see a demonstration of searching for tasks in this tutorial.
Where can I find my current talk assignments?
- Click "Your tasks" on Amara’s left sidebar
How do I decline a task I’ve taken by mistake (or can’t complete)?
- In translation interface, exit by clicking the red X in the top right corner
- Then, from the Tasks tab, click "Your tasks" on the left sidebar
- Hover over the relevant task and hit "Decline"
How many talks can I be assigned to at once?
- 5 tasks, but we recommend you actively work on one translation and one review at a time
How do I indicate I'm finished translating/reviewing a talk?
- Click “Accept” in the translator interface and your work will advance to the next step in the translation process
How do I save my in-progress work?
- Click “Save and exit” in the translation interface
- You can resume your work by clicking “Your tasks” on the left sidebar
- Hover over “Perform task” and click “Resume”
When do my subtitles get published on TED.com?
- A TED admin or Language Coordinator will carry out the final approval (after the review step)
- Upon approval, your subtitles will publish to TED.com and you'll be credited for your work in your TED profile
How do I check the status of my translation/review?
- You’ll receive email notifications when your subtitles are reviewed, approved or sent back for changes
- To set your notification preferences, hover over your username (top-right corner), select “Profile” from the drop-down list, then click “Edit profile”
- You’ll receive a message when the status of your work changes
- To view your messages, hover over your username (top-right corner) and select “Messages”
- Use the search and filter options to find the right talk and language
- Filter for tasks assigned to “anyone” -- the search results will show the status of your subtitles
What is the new/beta editor?
The new editor offers useful features like information on the number of characters and the reading speed of each subtitle.
To access it, open a task and click “Save and open in new editor” in the translation interface
How do I know who is reviewing my translation?
- On the Tasks tab, search for the talk you translated
- Filter for Review tasks assigned to ‘anyone’
- If a reviewer is assigned, you’ll see their name next to the task
- You’ll receive a notification containing the reviewer’s name when they complete their task
How do I know whose translation I'm reviewing?
- The translator’s name is listed on each review task
How do I know what a reviewer changes in my translation?
- On the talk’s Video page, select your language from the left sidebar
- Click the Revisions tab
- Select two revisions and hit “Compare Revisions” to see a side-by-side comparison with changes highlighted
How do I communicate with another translator?
- You can message translators directly on Amara
- Click the Members tab, search for the translator you'd like to message and click "Send a message"
Where can I comment or make a suggestion on a translation?
- Find the talk on the Videos tab and click the thumbnail
- Select a language from the left sidebar
- Click the Comments tab above the video and add a comment
- The translator and/or reviewer will be notified of the comment
How do I know if someone comments on my translation?
- You’ll be notified by email and message on Amara
- Access messages by hovering over your username and clicking Messages
What if I notice a mistake in my translation after it’s published?
How do I download subtitles?
- On a talk’s Video page, select the language you’d like to download from the left sidebar
- Use the Download drop-down menu to choose the file format
How do I upload subtitles?
- Find the Task you’re assigned to (click “Your tasks” on the left sidebar)
- Hover over ‘Perform Task’ and click “Upload draft”
How do I “follow” a translation?
- You automatically follow new translations you contribute to on Amara
- To manually follow a translation:
- Go to the talk’s Video page and select your language on the left sidebar
- Hit “Click to Follow”