Constellation Photography and Variable Stars Workshop - Saturday April 21, 2012
We invite you to join us in exploring the very visible universe. The planets Mars and Saturn will be perfectly situated for our observing pleasure. The summer constellations will be greeting us in the east as we say goodbye to our winter friends in the west.
The day's agenda will include;
* learning how to teach your students how to use their digital cameras to photograph the constellations
* use your digital camera to record the motion of Mars and Saturn through the zodiac
* use Astrometry.net to identify your and your students’ beautiful images of the sky
* engage in hands-on activities related to constellation photography
* learn how to change photographic slides to digital images
* find geostationary Earth-orbiting satellites and engage your students in projects based on this
* learn basics of variable stars, observing them and making light curves with Skynet’s Afterglow
Register below now! Registration includes CPDU's and lunch. A fee of $25 will be collected on the day of the workshop. Please make checks to "University of Chicago."
Tentative Agenda: Saturday April 21, 2012:
8:30 - 9:00 Coffee and Registration
9:00 - 9:10 Welcome and introduction to the day
9:10 -10:10 Photography with digital cameras and astrometry.net: Elizabeth Ramseyer
10:15 - 10:45 Constellation Slides and Astrometry.net: Ed Sadler
10:50 - 11:00 Break
11:00 – 12;00 Globular clusters with Yerkes 40-inch: Prof. Kyle Cudworth
12:00 - 12:45 Lunch at Yerkes
12:30 - 1:00 Optional tour and New Teacher Bags
1:00 –2:00 Spectrum with Vernier Software and Open Clusters: Mike Boll
2:00 - 2:45 Telescopes to Tanzania: Chuck Ruehle, Astronomers Without Borders
2:45 - 2:55 Break
2:55 - 4:10 Urban Astrophotography with Canon Point-and-Shoot Cameras - Janet Branson, DePaul University
4:10 - 4:20 Final thoughts and additional resources
4:20 - 4:30 Wrap-up, evaluations, and CPDUs.
There will be a public star party on FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 2012 from 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Cost: $5.00 per teacher, $15.00 for families. Registration is suggested but not required.
Registration is found on the Yerkes Observatory site: http://astro.uchicago.edu/yerkes/
There will be NO star party on Saturday evening.
Register for the Constellation Photography and Variable Star workshop below now! Registration includes CPDU's and lunch. A fee of $25 will be collected on the day of the workshop. Please make checks to "University of Chicago."