This application is for studio based and performing based artists who reside within the city of Detroit, Highland Park and Hamtramck only. You must have a residence in one of these three cities to be eligible. Please be sure to read the Spread Art Three Month Residency Eligibility Requirements and FAQ on below.
This program provides:-- Minimum of 20 hrs/wk in the performance space for rehearsals and development of new works. (performing artists)-- 24/7 access to studio. (studio based artists)-- One public event per month with staff support. (performance, artist talk, workshop, masterclass, etc)-- Artist in residence brunch or dinner (First month - public event with AIR presentation and Q&A)-- Final performance or exhibition.-- Marketing and publicity support for public events.-- Artist in residence profile on website www.spreadart.org-- Free entry to all Spread Art events during residency time period.-- Full HD video recording and/or audio recording of public events. -- Inclusion in printed catalogue.-- $1,000 artist stipend free and clear (does not need to be used for project)
Expectations of the artist:-- Use studio or rehearsal space on a regular basis (2 to 3 times weekly) throughout the residency to work towards a final project.-- Participation in AIR residency brunch or dinner during first month. This is a public event in which the AIR give a 10 to 15 minute presentation about their work followed by an audience Q&A.-- Final exhibition or performance during 3rd month.-- Minimum one public event per month during residency. (1st month - AIR brunch or dinner, 3rd Month - Final exhibition or performance) This leaves a minimum of one additional public event during the 2nd month. This can be an open studio, artist talk, work in progress showing, open rehearsal, etc)-- Weekly update through residency profile on Spread Art website. This can be photos, video, writings, thoughts, progress updates, or just about anything.-- Participate in pre-residency and post residency surveys.-- Work with residency team weekly to market and promote public components of your residency and to provide clear communication of project or AIR needs or support.-- Attend public events by additional AIR's to show support of fellow AIR's.
Residency Location:Spread Art 5141 Rosa Parks Blvd.Detroit, MI 48208
About the facility:900 sq ft performance spacehard wood floors16ft X 14ft raised stage 12 channel sound system2 X 12 channel lighting systemOutdoor performance garden with 16ft X 16ft stage.Semi private studio (10ft x 12ft) with 30+ ft of wall space.
Online applications are open until January 25th 2017 at 11:59:59pm. Application sent by mail must be postmarked no later than January 25th, 2017. Applications to be delivered in person are to be delivered to the Spread Art offices located at 5141 Rosa Parks Blvd. Detroit, no later than 5pm on January 25th, 2017. Artists will be notified by February 10th, 2017.
Mail applications to: Spread Art5141 Rosa Parks Blvd.Detroit, MI 48208
******Eligibility Requirements******Must be 18years or olderMust reside (minimum two years) in the city of Detroit, Highland Park or Hamtramck.Cannot be a full time studentPast and present AIR's, staff, volunteers, Board Members and curators are not eligible.
1) Does the 3 months have to be consecutive? -Yes.
2) When do the residencies start?- Studio residencies and Performing residencies will be overlapping and begin in March 2017 and finish in September 2017. Studio residencies begin in March and June. Performing residencies begin in April and July.
3) Can I use more than 20hr/wk in the rehearsal space?- yes. 20 hrs is the minimum. Depending on amount of use with other events, residencies and rehearsals up to 28hrs can be scheduled each week.
4) Is the studio accessible 24hrs a day?-the visual studios yes. The rehearsal space is available from 10am to 10pm, 7 days a week for scheduling.
5) When do we receive the $1,000 artist stipend?- Thee payments at the start of each month of the residency. 1st- $500, 2nd and 3rd - $250
6) What type of projects are you looking for?-- The first round will include two studio based and two performing based artists. Medium does not matter as much as the project itself. Spread Art supports projects and artists that: look at things a different way. push the boundaries. create the impossible. invite public participation. deal with immediately relevant social themes. explore technology. force themselves to evolve. question reality. utilize multi media. question themselves. are not afraid to fail.