There is no facility to save the scholarship application as you go or to amend the application once it is submitted. Please prepare the information in advance, being sure to refer to the specific scholarship criteria on the Scholarships website, before completing the form.
• Any full-time Postgraduate Taught Masters Degree Programmes with a dissertation on a theme connected with Japan.
• Any full-time MPhil/PhD student (new admissions and current SOAS MPhil/PhD students) whose thesis topic focuses on any aspect of Japan.
• Part-time programmes are not eligible. Current part-time students must change to full-time status if their application is successful and they elect to accept this award.
• For Postgraduate Taught Masters Degree applicants must write their dissertation on a theme connected with Japan. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of their admission application.
• For MPhil/PhD applicants, the research proposal must focus on Japan.
• It is important that you and your referees comment on your SKILL IN JAPANESE in the areas of reading, composition and speaking. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of your admission application and in your references.
• Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2015) must have an offer of admission to a degree programme at SOAS by the scholarships deadline. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
• Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2015) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2015. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
• Applicants may be of any nationality, but
1. Postgraduate Taught Masters degree applicants must be UK citizens or settled in the UK or have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years immediately preceding the start of their MA course. Applicants must be classified as Home for fee purposes in order to be eligible for this scholarship.
2. MPhil/PhD applicants must have completed at least one year postgraduate study at a UK institution of higher education.
Scholarship Application Deadline
• In addition to the online scholarship application, new applicants ony (new admissions, ie. starting in September), must submit must submit a complete application for admission. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement (In addition to this, MPhil/PhD applicants must also submit a research proposal). The Selection Panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission.
• Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on Friday, 27 February 2015. Late applications will not be considered.