SJSU Peer Health Education Program Volunteer Application :: Fall 2013
The goal of the Peer Health Education Program is to support the well-being of SJSU students. We aim to increase students’ awareness and responsible decision-making regarding health and wellness. A primary objective is to recruit, train and organize students to conduct health outreach. We welcome the skills, creativity, questions, ideas and passion of all SJSU students.
WHAT IS THE PEER HEALTH EDUCATION PROGRAM?
Peer Health Educators are part of the Wellness & Health Promotion Program within the Student Health Center. PHEs are students who teach their peers about preventive health through presentations, discussions, panels, workshops, health fairs, and health awareness weeks. PHEs offer health education and outreach programs specific to the numerous health specialties listed below. Those who become peer educators are placed into TWO specialties (one A specialty and one B specialty).
A SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
Nutrition (NuFS 9 or 8 Required)
B SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
Marijuana and Other Drugs
Marketing and Outreach
-Become a Nationally Certified Peer Educator.
-Earn 3 units (Health Science course).
-Enhance and develop skills in program coordination, leadership, collaborative teamwork, communication, public speaking and networking.
-Increase knowledge of health and wellness issues through specialized training.
-Collaborate with various student organizations and campus departments.
-Develop concrete skills to enhance your resume.
-Opportunity for mentoring and personal/career development.
-Earn non-hospital volunteer hours to apply towards dietetic internship application.
-Opportunity to meet new people and have fun!
1. Attend a mandatory group interview on one of the following dates: May 9th, 10th, or 14th.
2. Attend mandatory 2-day Training Retreat: August 14th and 15th.
3. Attend mandatory weekly HS class (Monday and Wednesdays 12:00-1:15pm).
4. Participate in at least 5 programs/events throughout the semester.
5. Facilitate at least 2 presentations throughout the semester.
6. Cover weekly Wellness & Health Promotion office reception hour.
7. Nutrition (A Specialty) applicants must have completed NuFS 9 or 8 with a "B" or better.
8. All applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or better.
DUE DATE: 5/5 @5pm