We aim to increase students’ awareness and responsible decision-making regarding health and wellness. A primary objective is to recruit, train and organize students to conduct health education outreach. We welcome the skills, creativity, questions, ideas and passion of all SJSU students.
WHAT IS THE PEER HEALTH EDUCATION PROGRAM?
Peer Health Educators are part of the Wellness & Health Promotion Program within the Student Health Center. PHEs are students who teach their peers about preventive health through presentations, discussions, panels, workshops, health fairs, and health awareness weeks. PHEs offer health education and outreach programs specific to the health specialties listed below. Those who become peer educators are placed into TWO specialties (one A specialty and one B specialty).
A SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
Nutrition (NuFS 9 or 8 Required)
B SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
Marijuana and Other Drugs
-Become a Nationally Certified Peer Educator.
-Earn 3 units through Health Science course (HS106 - Concepts in Peer Health Education)
-Enhance and develop skills in leadership, program coordination, collaborative teamwork, communication, public speaking and networking.
-Increase knowledge of health and wellness issues through specialized training.
-Collaborate with various student organizations and campus departments.
-Develop concrete skills and accomplishments for a stronger resume.
-Opportunity for mentoring and personal/career development.
-Earn non-hospital volunteer hours to apply towards dietetic internship application.
-Meet new people and have fun!
1. Attend a mandatory group interview on one of the following dates: Friday, May 9, 2014 or Wednesday May 14, 2014
2. Attend mandatory 2-day Overnight Training Retreat: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 and Wednesday, August 20, 2014
3. Attend mandatory weekly class (Monday and Wednesdays 10:30-11:45am) in Fall 2014.
4. Participate in at least 5 programs/events throughout the semester.
5. Facilitate at least 2 presentations throughout the semester.
6. Cover weekly Wellness & Health Promotion office reception hour.
7. Support program outreach through offline and online platforms.
8. Nutrition (A Specialty) applicants must have completed NuFS 9 or 8 with a "B" or better.
9. All applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or better.
DUE DATE: Monday, May 5, 2014 by 5pm
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the application, please email Anna Ang at firstname.lastname@example.org