Directions: Congratulations you want to an active participant of the United States. Now it’s time to show what you know about your country. Do the best you can and bubble in the correct answer on your Grade Cam.
1. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
￼ A. Al Gore B. Barack Obama
￼ C. Dick Cheney D. Joe Biden
2. What is the supreme law of the land?
￼ A. the Bill of Rights
￼ B. the Constitution
￼ C. the Declaration of Independence
￼D. the Constitution of each state
3. What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
￼ A. The Declaration of Independence was written.
￼ B. The Emancipation Proclamation was written.
￼C. The Constitution was written.
￼ D. The Virginia Declaration of Rights was written.
4. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
￼ A. vote and join a civic group
￼ B. give an elected official your opinion on an issue and join a community group
￼ C. write to a newspaper and call Senators and Representatives
￼ D. all of these answers
5. What does the Constitution do?
￼A. sets up the government B. defines the government
￼ C. protects basic rights of Americans D. all of the above
6. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
￼ A. Quebec
￼ B. Haiti
￼ C. Alaska
￼ D. the Louisiana Territory
7. What is one right or freedom of the First Amendment?
￼ A. freedom of speech
￼ B. freedom of religion
￼ C. freedom of the press
￼D. all of the above
8. Name one U.S. territory.
￼ A. Cayman Islands
￼ B. Bermuda
￼ C. Guam
￼ D. Haiti
9. What is one reason colonists came to America?
￼A. to join a civic group
￼B. for the experience traveling across the ocean
￼ C. freedom
￼ D. none of these answers
10. Where is the Statue of Liberty?
￼ A. Long Island
￼ B. New York Harbor
￼ C. San Francisco Bay
￼ D. Boston Harbor
11. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
￼ A. ten (10)
￼B. twenty-three (23)
￼ C. twenty-one (21)
￼ D. twenty-seven (27)
12. Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
￼A. all people of the state
￼ B. the state legislatures
￼ C. only the people in the state who voted for the Senator
￼ D. all people of the state who belong to the Senator's political party
13. How many stars are there on our flag?
14. Who was the first President of the United States?
A. Benjamin Franklin
B. George Washington
C. Thomas Jefferson
D. Alexander Hamilton
15. Who becomes President of the United States if the President should die?
A. a Presidential election is held to decide the new President
B. The Secretary of State
C. The Vice President
D. The Speaker of the House
16. What is the capital of California?
A. Los Angeles
C. San Francisco
17. Which President freed the slaves?
A. Woodrow Wilson
B. Abraham Lincoln
C. George Washington
D. John F. Kennedy
18. Where does Congress meet?
A. Culpepper, Virginia
B. Ridgely, Maryland
C. Washington D. C.
D. New York City
19. Which President is called “The Father of Our Country”?
A. George Washington
B. John Adams
C. Thomas Jefferson
D. Andrew Jackson
20. Who was President during the Civil War?
A. George Washington C. Theodore Roosevelt
B. Abraham Lincoln D. Franklin D. Roosevelt
21. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
A. announced our independence (from Great Britain)
B. allowed the Pilgrims to come to the New World
C. said the United States would remain loyal to Great Britain
D. limited the rights of King George III
22. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
A. Checks and balances
B. Separation of powers
C. A and B
D. None of the above
23. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?
A. The Senate and the House of Burgesses
B. The Senate and the House of Representatives
C. The President and the Senate
D. The Supreme Court and the President
24. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
A. To the people who fought the wars to gain our independence
B. To all of the presidents of the United States
C. To the United States
D. To the president of the United States
25. How old do you have to be to vote for President?
A. 21 years of age B. 25 years of age
C. 16 years of age D. 18 years of age
26. Name the U.S. war between the North and the South.
A. The Revolutionary War B. World War I
C. The Civil War D. The Mexican American War
27. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
A. freed slaves in the Confederacy
B. freed all the slaves in the United States
C. allowed slaves to move west
D. freed the slave held in prison
28. What did Susan B. Anthony do?
A. designed the $1.00 coin
B. fought for women’s rights
C. met with Abraham Lincoln
D. none of the above
29. What is the capital of the United States?
A. New York City, New York
B. Boston, Massachusetts
C. Washington, D. C.
D. Jamestown, Virginia
30. What is the name of the national anthem?
A. The Star-Spangled Banner
B. The Land of the Free
D. Oh Beautiful
E. The Pledge of Allegiance