SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JULY 8, 2017
There are two Utility Boxes currently available in Downtown Phoenixville. Art should cover all exposed sidesand top of the box.
In conjunction with the Borough of Phoenixville, the Beautification Advisory Commission, and private donors,a minimum of 2 boxes will be selected for artwork as a first installment of this multiyear project.
1. PRIMER:● BULLS EYE 1-2-3 (Zinsser)
2. PAINT:Must use paint designed for outdoor mural use and colors selected must be lightfast and designed to hold up to sunlight and outdoor elements. Below are examples of approved brands.● GOLDEN ARTIST COLOR● NOVA COLOR
3. ISOLATION COAT (layer between paint & protective clear coat)● GOLDEN ARTIST COLOR: Soft Gel Gloss● NOVA GEL
4. PROTECTIVE VARNISH / CLEAR COAT● GOLDEN ARTIST COLOR: MSA Varnish● NOVA COLOR VARNISH
· Design MUST include all visible sides of the Utility Box and top.
· Designs MUST NOT contain any representations of traffic lights, signs or signals.
· If the design is to include text, it MUST be included with the design concept. Utility Box Designs MAY NOTbe used for advertisement or to promote a business, product or viewpoint.
· Designs MAY NOT include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, images of illegal activityor involve the attachment of any object(s) to the box.
· Designs may not obstruct functionality of the traffic signal box.
Artists should understand that the finished work will be on functioning equipment that will need repair orreplacing at some point in time. As such, the Borough of Phoenixville and the Beautification AdvisoryCommission cannot guarantee how long each Utility Box will be in use.
2. Completed Application form including:a. List of Artwork Examplesb. Contact information for two professional references with artist’s name at the top
3. Five (5) images illustrating examples of your best works (.pdf format). It is suggested that these pieces haverelevance to public commissions. Each piece of documentation must be clearly identified with the artist’sname, title of work, size, installation location if appropriate, and numbered to correspond with an attachedannotated list. DO NOT provide website addresses or links directing the Selection Committee to examples ofyour work. It is the responsibility of each Artist to select the five (5) works which best illustrate theircapabilities.
4. Current resume detailing your experience as an artist and any past public art projects (please, no more thanthree pages). NOTE: Additional support materials may be submitted that relate to the artist’s past public artexperience.
5. A digital image of the 2-D version of the artwork.Artists may submit up to three design proposals. A statement and model for each design must be submitted.
Teresa HaagEmail: email@example.com
Michael Riley HillEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The BAC may use any or all images provided both in the application and the final design to advertise and promote their mission. Failure to comply with proposal requirements described in the prospectus will constitute an invalid application.