The NewGround fellowship provides the expertise and relationships needed to transform Muslim-Jewish relations and collaborate on issues of shared concern. The experience builds conflict resolution skills, enhances leadership and creates authentic relationships across community lines – all while providing essential knowledge about religion, culture and history. The City of Los Angeles Human Relations Commission recognizes fellowship alumni for their committed leadership to civic engagement and civil discourse. Upon completion of the fellowship, you will be bestowed with a certificate from the City of Los Angeles in appreciation of your commitment to strengthening Muslim-Jewish relations.
Through skill-building workshops, structured dialogue and in-depth education sessions, those who complete the fellowship emerge with the ability and commitment to build lasting partnership and establish a new code of conduct for the Muslim and Jewish communities. As one fellowship alumna said, the experience “is about exploring what it means to be Muslim and Jewish in America today.”
NewGround encourages applications from emerging leaders in their early twenties to about 40, however all outstanding applicants are encouraged to apply.
Applications are due FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2017.
Fellows are required to commit to all sessions outlined below (locations alternate between a Muslim and a Jewish space near down town LA)
• Develop and implement a joint Muslim-Jewish project or event to impact the broader Los Angeles Muslim and Jewish communities by May 1st, 2018.
• Upon acceptance, fellows contribute a $350 donation to NewGround to offset the costs of the experience*
* If $350 provides a financial hardship that would make it difficult to participate, please indicate at the end of your application.
* Purchase a reader as part of the fellowship curriculum for $65.
* Required Attendance (Wednesday evenings between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. AND 2 Full weekend retreats from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon).
* Once accepted into the program, each fellow will submit a signed undated check in the amount of $500. This check will be cashed by NewGround in the event the fellow misses more than 2 3-hour sessions. Upon the successful completion of the program, the check will be returned to the fellow.
Dates for the the 2017-2018 Fellowship are as follows:
October 18November 1November 10-12 - RETREATNovember 29December 6December 20January 10January 24February 7February 21February 23-25 - RETREATMarch 7March 21April 11April 25May 9May 23