Workshop: Using Examples Moodle ISU
If you selected Use Examples during the creation of your workshop you will need to prepare the example submissions to complete the Setup Phase. There are many options in creating a workshop.
If you have any questions about the workshop, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
This guide will help you to:
- Determine How Examples are Assessed
- Upload an Example Submission
- Assess the Example Submission
You will want to see the additional Workshop guides for more information about each phase
Determine How Examples are Assessed
The behavior of the examples submissions is controlled by the Mode of examples assessment setting in the Assessment Settings section of the Workshop settings. You have the following options:
- Assessment of example submission is voluntary: Example submission is given, and the student may practice assessing at their own discretion.
- Examples must be assessed before own submission: The student assesses the examples before submitting their work, allowing them to see the criteria of assessment before submission, and possibly update their submission(s) to reflect the criteria.
- Examples are available after own submission and must be assessed before peer assessment: This option waits until after the student has submitted their work to provide practice assessments, so the student cannot alter their submissions according to assessment criteria. This option requires the student to practice assessing others’ work before assessing a fellow student’s submission.
To change the assessment mode:
- Click on the name of the workshop.
- In the Administration block, Click Edit settings.
- Scroll down to the Example submission section.
- In the Mode of examples assessment dropdown menu, Select when and how students will assess the examples.
Upload an Example Submission
You will need to submit example submissions for students to assess. You can add as many examples as you would like. The screen you use to upload the example submissions is almost identical to how the students will submit their work.
- Click on the name of the workshop.
- In the Workshop Planner you will see that the last task to complete in the Setup Phase is Prepare example submissions.
- Scroll to the Example submissions section.
- Click Add example submission.
- On the next screen, you will see the instructions you entered for submission.
- In the Title text field, Type the name of the file.
Note: Submissions can either be typed directly in the Submission content text field or submitted as an attachment.
- In the Submission content field, Type a description of the attached file or Enter the text of the submission.
Note: If you cut and paste from Word, use the Paste from Word button.
- The Maximum number of submission attachments displays the number you set while creating the workshop. If you wish to change this you can return to the Workshop settings and select a different number.
- If you are adding an attachment, Click the Add... button to bring up the File Picker window.
- In the File picker, Click the repository where the file is located.
- In the left-hand column of the File picker, Click Upload a file.
- Click Browse.
- Locate the file on your computer.
- Click Open. The file should now show in the attachment text box.
- Click Upload this file.
Note: Double clicking on the name of the file will also select the file.
Note: For information on Files and Repositories, see Files and New Repositories.
- You will now see the file listed as an attachment.
- Click Save changes.
Assess the Example Submission
After you have uploaded an example submission, you will need to provide an example assessment. This Sample Assessment is used to help Moodle ISU determine how well the student assesses the example.
- There are several ways to open the assessment form for the example submission.
- Immediately after uploading the example, Click Continue.
- Immediately after uploading the example, Click Assess example submission.
- From the Workshop Planner, in the Example Submissions section. Click Assess directly under the example submission.
- You will be presented with the Assessment Form you created in the Edit Assessment step.
- Follow the instructions for the Assessment Form to complete the example assessment.
- Click Save and close when you have completed the assessment.
- You can Click Save and continue editing at any time to save your work.
- You will be taken back to the Workshop Planner.
At this point, you can add another example submission or proceed to the Submission Phase.
For more information about the Submission Phase, see Workshop: The Submission Phase.
For more information about Workshops, see Workshop settings.
For additional assistance, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.