Davis Aquatic Masters
Board Meeting – January 14, 2015
Meeting was called to order at 6:35 p.m. in the Brady Building at Civic Pool. Quorum was established.
Stu Kahn (non-voting)
Patricia Price (non-voting)
Allan Crow (non-voting)
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes from the December board meeting were approved, however it happened before I became secretary and started taking notes.
Election of 2015 Officers
- Discussion on the election of new officers for 2015
- Ken Petruzzelli will serve as President and continue as liason to the city.
- Erica Fleishman will serve as Vice President and continue as registrar
- Patricia Quinn will serve as Secretary
- Byron Philleo will serve as Treasurer
- The motion to appoint said volunteers was unanimously approved.
Coach’s report given by Stu Kahn.
- In response to a philanthropic request from University Covenant Nursery School in Davis, Stu raised the possibility of providing a 30 day free trial membership to DAM. During the 30 day period a swimmer could swim as many times as wanted, given that they are first able to pass the basic swim test (100 yards continuously).
- Byron motioned to accept the proposal
- Rose seconded the motion
- Attendees voted unanimously to accept the proposal
- Stu discussed monthly attendance; the coach on deck counts the swimmers in the water 15 minutes into the workout and Stu compiles daily and monthly data
- Stu discussed upcoming events
- Stu discussed additional duties performed by the coaches
- Stu discussed USMS and PMS duties
- Allan went over EOY profit/loss statement for 2014
Attendee Discussion with Potential Financial Impact
- Ken suggested the possibility of hiring an Executive Director or office manager for DAM who would help with some of the administrative duties
- Ken also suggested the possibility of hiring a professional fundraiser to head up efforts for the 50 meter pool; Trish suggested that maybe the fundraising effort should be established as a separate foundation
- Scholarships or fee waivers were discussed. Attendees discussed the lack of a clear process for determining a valid scholarship need. Rose suggested a “what can you afford” approach. Rose offered to provide the form she uses for scholarship applications to Swim America. Stu encouraged that the scholarships be reviewed every 6 months
- Erica raised a previous board decision to encourage all swimmers to pay by direct payment.
- Attendees discussed the Chamber of Commerce fees. Dave motioned that DAM should pay all but the PAC fees. Byron seconded the motion. Erica abstained from voting, all other members voted to accept the proposal.
- Dave asked if there will be an increase to the pool usage fees; the last time the city increased fees was 3 years ago ($28/hour). Stu stated that we will get a new fee announcement from the city July 1.
Fifty Meter Pool
- Ken stated that Samantha Wallace will provide a report in the spring regarding the city infrastructure assessment; there was supposed to be a pool update report, but it will now be rolled into the assessment report
- Trish presented a potential contract for running the Berryessa swim. Ken also provided Trish with a draft contract.
- Greg asked if entering into a contract would change anything; Trish said she will function as a supervisor with a core team which she thinks will make the event run smoother
- Byron made a motion to authorize DAM to enter into a contract with Trish, Erica seconded the motion, attendees voted unanimously to accept.
DAM Policies and Procedures
- Erica will put together an email proposal for updating the policies and procedures.
- Berryessa open water swim
- Long Course Meet
- Postal Meet
- Brute Squad (may need new director; check with Karen Charney; Dave may be willing to do it but needs more information)
- Scheduled for February 11, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
- Topic for discussion: Berryessa contract