A collective is an organization that is managed without hierarchy; every member has equal decision-making power and no one has the special authority usually granted to a manager. All staff members are equal co-managers and no member has un-recallable authority over another member (including board members!). Smaller decisions may be made by individuals or committees, but all members participate in both major management and governance decisions. Our Board of Directors, elected by members every year, serves to facilitate membership on relevant projects.
As a collective, one of our core values is making sure that everyone has a say in the way the store is run and operated. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive community within our membership, by helping each and every one of our members grow not only in BSFC, but also in their daily lives. Members collaborate as a collective to develop leadership and professional skills, something that is much harder to accomplish in a hierarchical work setting. Therefore, we welcome anyone with or without a resume - all you'll need is your passion for food justice!
WHAT DOES MEMBERSHIP ENTAIL?
- An application(you are on your way! :D )
- A minimum of a two-hour time commitment per week working in the store, whether it be storefront, cashiering, food prep, committee work, etc.
- Completion of orientation and trainings upon application approval (Orientation dates to come!)
- Completion of two educational community hours per month (this can include attending local food events, social events, educational events hosted by BSFC, etc.)
- Attendance at membership meetings
- No membership fee!
- Upon completion of membership quizzes, eligibility to receive a 10% discount in the store.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP:
- A passion for food and a desire to change the wrongs of our food system
- Someone who thrives in an autonomous, collective environment and has the drive to take on a project of their own choosing
- Good communication skills
- From ages 14 to 200
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn!
We’d be more than happy to answer them! Email our Membership Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.