Backing-up and Restoring Course Content in Moodle
Moving Materials from an Old Course to a New Course
Click here for a video demo of backup and restore.
Creating a Backup File of Your Course
Archiving your course involves backing up and saving your course to your computer. To do so:
- Open the course in old Moodle (1.9) (https://bcmoodle2012.beloit.edu) that you would like to move content from.
- Click Backup located in the Administration block (Moodle 1.9)
- Deselect anything that you do not want included in the backup. Everything is included by default. You do want to include Course files and Site files used in this course.
- Click Continue. You may get a warning that user data is not included in the backup. You can ignore this.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Continue.
- Click the link to the file name to download and save the backup file to your computer.
- Once the file has been downloaded to you computer, please delete the backup file from Moodle.
To do so:
- Click the [Parent folder] link.
- Select the backupdata folder by clicking in the check box to the left of the file.
- Select Delete completely from the “With chosen files...” drop-down menu.
- Confirm that you want to delete the file.
Restoring to Moodle 2.x from a Backup
- Login to new Moodle (https://moodle.beloit.edu) and open the empty new course by clicking the link for the course located in the My Courses block.
- Click Restore located in the Settings block.
- You can either click the Choose a file button to browse for and upload the backup file you made, or you can drag-and-drop the file into the area with the blue arrow*. If the file is larger than 100MB contact the Moodle Administrator.
*Please be aware that there isn’t a progress indicator when you drag-and-drop a file into this area. Please be patient as the file uploads - the larger the backup file the longer it will take.
- Click Restore. Click Continue.
- On the Destination page, scroll down to the “Restore into this course,” section. Select, “Merge the backup course into this course”. Click the [Continue] button.
- On the Restore Settings page, uncheck the “Include blocks” option. Click [Next].
- On the Course settings page, select or deselect the items you would like to include (all items are selected by default).
- On the Review Page, scroll to the bottom and click the [Perform Restore] button.
- Click [Continue]. You are finished! You can now edit the content of the new course.